Finally got out in my kayak today. First time this year. This year I was fo...

Dog

Full time employment: Posting here.
Beautiful Day To Get Out In The Kayak

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1445044538.903269.jpgImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1445044556.991630.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
Looking good, I will be looking over the Sea of Cortez in a kayak in a few weeks.

very peaceful pictures!

My wife and I enjoy kayaking, too.

Attachments

• Kayak Belleville 8-3-2015 (11).JPG
    Kayak Belleville 8-3-2015 (11).JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 31
Took my yak for one last trip this week before storing it for the winter😥

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

My favorite place to watch the sunset.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Attachments

• 1445131658093.jpg
    1445131658093.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 30
DH and I are thinking of buying some kayaks. Any advice for 1st time purchasers? Thanks in advance.

Try some different types before buying. We have rented some we feel very comfortable in and some where they don't feel so stable.

KrisK,

I jumped in and bought my kayak after just going out a couple of times. I did lots of research and did go to a rental place and try several out.
However, since I live on the puget sound the majority of my paddling is in open water I decided to take courses to learn correct paddling techniques, basic navigation and rescue skills. I should have waited to get my kayak after I took the courses as some boats are better for certain types of water, conditions and the type of paddling you want to do (day trips, overnight, etc.) as well as ease of getting it to and in the water.
Thankfully, I got a pretty good kayak that serves me well (Necky Chatham 16). But, many times I have to transport the kayak on my own and a smaller and lighter Kayak may have been a better choice for a small woman.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Some of my "paddle pics" from this past Summer - which was also my fire Summer of FIRE. Which of course meant I paddled further and more often than ever before. I think I got in around 100km this year. Saw some amazing things from the seat of my Kevlar/fibreglass Telkwa - truly one of the best touring kayaks out there.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,019.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
DH and I are thinking of buying some kayaks. Any advice for 1st time purchasers? Thanks in advance.

A few random points:

1) Types of water - Where do you intend to paddle at? Ponds/lakes with sandy beaches, or ocean areas with rocks? Where you will likely encounter hard/rocky bottoms, definitely go with a plastic-type for your first purchase, since it can damage a fiberglass or more expensive model.

2) Rent, then check Craigslist - Another poster suggested renting one or two to get a feel. Remember that the shorter and wider it is, the more effort you will have to paddle...but the shorter and wider it is, the more stable and easier it also is to get into and maneuver around for the first dozen times. As far as purchasing, Craigslist should have some deals for your first kayak, especially this time of year when people might want to get rid of their kayak. However, unlike some other used items on Craigslist, unless you get a fairly old/well used kayak, discounts on kayaks may only range from 20%-40% off of new retail price. Don't be afraid to spend just $250 or so on a really basic or well-work kayak to use for your first season or two to get some experience. You might find a cheap one for that price at a major sporting goods chain, but those will typically be fairly short models.

3) Rudder/Skeg not too important - While some people might feel lost without it, I personally don't think it's too important to need a rudder or a skeg on a kayak. Sure, it might require a little more maneuvering, but it's not like it should be that much more difficult to paddle a few more times to get positioned just right.

I had mine out for one last trip in northern MN, just outside the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, on Saturday. Broke ice in a couple of places, it was barely 30 degrees. Absolutely beautiful trip down an undeveloped river, wildlife everywhere.

I put it away for the season when I got home.

As for kayaks, I've had great results from my Perceptions. I use them mostly on small rivers and ponds, they've stood up well to a lot of abuse. Get one with a keel, some department store models don't have any type of keel system and they're slippery on the water.

A few random points:

3) Rudder/Skeg not too important - While some people might feel lost without it, I personally don't think it's too important to need a rudder or a skeg on a kayak. Sure, it might require a little more maneuvering, but it's not like it should be that much more difficult to paddle a few more times to get positioned just right.

It all depends on where you paddle and how big the waves, tide, and winds are.

I have kayaked without a rudder (borrowed a kayak from a friend) where the wind and waves kept me paddling 98% of the time on only one side of the boat (think canoe-type paddling). I almost wrenched my back due to the heavy overuse on one side. I've also been in an incoming tide situation (same borrowed kayak), paddling parallel to a shoreline, that was a lot more work for me than my friend in the kayak with a rudder.

omni

Also learning to lean your boat to aid in turning helps eliminate the need to drop your rudder into the water. I rarely use mine, even in moderate winds or currents.

Not all boats respond the same to leans...some barely respond at all, especially models with a hard-chine hull...they track better though. Mine is a nice combo of tracking and lean-response maneuverability. My kayak is almost 16 years old now and I'm not even close to thinking about a replacement yet.

And if at all possible, I'd try to avoid plastic models. Less structural rigidity and so darn heavy compared to composite materials (fibreglass/Kevlar).

Alas, my kayaking season is coming to end in a month or so.

I have a canoe, two touring (skirted) kayaks, a tandem glass touring kayak (for sale), a whitewater kayak, and a custom built surf kayak. I've been kayaking since 91. All that being said, don't judge kayaking by the rentals out there. They are entry level, very inefficient but stable. They will work for a short trip but for a day long paddle or a paddle with others, you will want a good kayak with an even better paddle--carbon fiber bent shaft. buying the best can be expensive if bought new but used are often half price or less. like my EDDYLINE WhisperLite tandem was over $3000 new without paddles/skirts/pfd's.

Nice photos & peaceful settings! I've only rented plastic kayaks at Tumon Bay on Guam - very different.

539793_357971397604956_1795873515_n.jpg

Cool!!! A yak thread. This is Green River, Kentucky. I mostly kayak around Pensacola and Navarre Florida, but there is no one with a camera there.:D

I'm not sure if I posted this here or on MMM, but it's good enough for a repost. A sunset paddle in the BC Gulf Islands, with the U.S. San Juans in the distance. A kayaking paradise.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    571.5 KB · Views: 14
I have a canoe, two touring (skirted) kayaks, a tandem glass touring kayak (for sale), a whitewater kayak, and a custom built surf kayak. I've been kayaking since 91. All that being said, don't judge kayaking by the rentals out there. They are entry level, very inefficient but stable. They will work for a short trip but for a day long paddle or a paddle with others, you will want a good kayak with an even better paddle--carbon fiber bent shaft. buying the best can be expensive if bought new but used are often half price or less. like my EDDYLINE WhisperLite tandem was over $3000 new without paddles/skirts/pfd's.

One other view: while there can be major differences in kayaks if you were looking at a $500 model vs a $2,000 model vs $4,000 model (less spreads if you buy used), don't forget perhaps the biggest bang for your buck impact: the paddle.

If you are just putzing around, floating down the river leisurely, paddling at a slow pace every now and then, that's one thing - but if you are expecting to do a lot of paddling, the paddle can give you a bigger impact for the money.

A carbon fiber, top of the line paddle will run about $400, but it's SUBSTANTIALLY lighter than a $50 or $100 paddle. And if you're swinging that thing thousands of times, it will be a far greater impact for the $200-$300 difference compared to spending $200-$300 more on a kayak. And you will notice the difference.

Of course, as with the choice of kayak material, you have to look at your intended use. If you have lots of rocks and rough areas you will be paddling around, a carbon fiber paddle - while durable - has some more exposure to damage if you really rough it up and abuse it.

I think I'm going to try kayaking when I get to Orcas island. This looks like a lot of fun. Probably need a dry suit to go with it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Back
Top Bottom