first SS check

missedearly62

Dryer sheet aficionado
Retired since 12/31/12, I applied for SS this past week. I know now that we could survive without it having done so a few months but will now be nice to have the extra. Amount is about $100 more per month than if taken several months ago @ 62. Figure that will about pay for Medicare @ 65. Loving my first Spring as a retiree! Really separated from former life this week: deleted all work peers from my contacts. I aint goin back! :grinear2ear:

I took mine at 64.5. It was a nice amount, but unfortunately when I turned 65 I lost part of it to Medicare and part to my AGI--too much income before I retired. So SS got a 3% raise and I lost a couple of hundred bucks. Uncle Sam gives and takes. But I am glad to have it.
Prof12

I applied for SS about a month ago myself. (Haven't seen the first payment yet) Like most folks, you are entitled to it since you "earned" it....

Congratulations!

I am turning 65 this summer, and just got my Medicare card. I will be paying for Medicare Part B before claiming SS. I am tentatively planning to wait until 70 to take SS, but I am really looking forward to having that income as I grow older. As you say, "it will be nice to have the extra". :)

I applied for SS this past week. I know now that we could survive without it having done so a few months but will now be nice to have the extra.

Congrats on the retirement.

One of the great aspects of SS is that it is so darn flexible. Want cash @ 62? You got it. Want to wait till 70 and get a bunch more? No problem. It's your decision.

Until I retired a never appreciated how SS is structured to adapt to so many situations.

I am currently enrolled in my wife's SS as spouse and when I hit 70 we will both hop over to SS under my # getting a much larger payout.

Back
Top Bottom