Medicare sign up question

Drake3287

Full time employment: Posting here.
Not sure where to put this question so I'll start here.

I'm currently 3 months out from turning 65 so I contacted Social Security today about signing up for Medicare. In my situation I never paid into Medicare or SS because I was a government employee so I don't qualify under my SS number. In my case I simply fall under using my wife's work history which does qualify.

After spending hours on the phone on hold along with driving to our local SS office, I was told they only do my type of Medicare applications over phone appointments. And you guessed it, the first open appointment isn't until the end of July. About one month before I'll turn 65.

My problem, I need to sign up for my employers supplemental Senior Advantage Plan prior to my birthday but it requires my new Medicare number for the application. Now I'm worried I won't have the Medicare number in time for this application process.

Does anyone know if they'll give me my new Medicare number over the phone during this appointment or will I have to wait until the card arrives in the mail? I heard it can take weeks before the card finally shows up. Just hate waiting until the last second on something so important.

Thanks

You can't sign up online via the computer ?
That's how I did it.

Would be pretty annoying if over the phone, means you tell them the info and they type it into the web application - which is how some places handle phone in things.

Nope, I already attempted to sign up online. They only do online applications for people that are applying for Medicare under their own SS number and work history, not a spousal work history like in my case.

I also went to my closest SS office and attempted to do it in person but they said I was required to go to the SS office in the county of my residence (it's further away) and of course they won't do it in person anyway. They simply sign you up for a phone appointment months down the line. Frustrating to say the least, especially when you have no recourse. They'll as bad as trying to contact the IRS. Endless phone trees and wait times.

Have they changed the procedure..I couldn't do online signup due to being born abroad to a US serviceman...I was able to do that as a walk in at my my local office..

Not sure where to put this question so I'll start here.

I'm currently 3 months out from turning 65 so I contacted Social Security today about signing up for Medicare. In my situation I never paid into Medicare or SS because I was a government employee so I don't qualify under my SS number. In my case I simply fall under using my wife's work history which does qualify.

After spending hours on the phone on hold along with driving to our local SS office, I was told they only do my type of Medicare applications over phone appointments. And you guessed it, the first open appointment isn't until the end of July. About one month before I'll turn 65.

My problem, I need to sign up for my employers supplemental Senior Advantage Plan prior to my birthday but it requires my new Medicare number for the application. Now I'm worried I won't have the Medicare number in time for this application process.

Does anyone know if they'll give me my new Medicare number over the phone during this appointment or will I have to wait until the card arrives in the mail? I heard it can take weeks before the card finally shows up. Just hate waiting until the last second on something so important.

Thanks

I personally would set up an account at Medicare.gov even if not doing the app online at Social Security. I believe that once the app is processed the Medicare number will show up on that site within days? I have heard many times that the actual card takes awhile or did not show up at all but that was a long time ago. It should show up within weeks after application is approved and completed.

Remember, if one really does have to sign up on the spouse's record, if it is still like it used to be, one's Social Security record might be set up under the spouse's social security number with a letter after it such as a B or such. That could be important when trying to track the Medicare number when the time comes?

Also, I would also take my birth certificate when applying or have it available if there is an issue at the phone appointment in case there is an issue with a name match or date of birth discrepancy on their records. I have heard of this many times and is easy for them to correct but they might need the birth certificate.

You would also need the marriage certificate for Medicare App of spousal benefit. Usually the Medicare # would be available a day or two after SSA approval. My wife got her # the next day after SSA verbal approval. Another way to get the # quicker is through an agent for Medicare plans and they seem to have the resource to get the # right after you are approved. Good luck!

Thanks for those last comments. Yes, I do have the marriage license copy for the process. Hopefully the new Medicare number will automatically show up on the online page once it's approved. That'll at least save me from waiting for the hard copy in the mail.

Just another headsup that SSA would need any documents in original form and they would make copies on the spot to be official (at least in our case in 2021).

Just another headsup that SSA would need any documents in original form and they would make copies on the spot to be official (at least in our case in 2021).

Thanks. I wondered how they would deal with that because the entire process is over the phone. I'll scan a copy just in case I can email it to them. I assume if I end up having to send it in they'll return it just like they do with birth certificates on Passports.

They sure know how to make an easy process difficult. Funny thing is, even 25 years ago I knew this would be a pain someday. Unfortunately that someday is now!

Thanks. I wondered how they would deal with that because the entire process is over the phone. I'll scan a copy just in case I can email it to them. I assume if I end up having to send it in they'll return it just like they do with birth certificates on Passports.

They sure know how to make an easy process difficult. Funny thing is, even 25 years ago I knew this would be a pain someday. Unfortunately that someday is now!
We both applied (SSB and SSB/Medicare) over the web and wife got the phone call and she was required to send the original in person with appointment and the agent made the copies while we were waiting. Another option is to mail the original to them and they send back after done (we did not like that while SSA was only on limited service mode under Covid). She only had a few days to spare for Medicare signup deadline after approval...

I would also go to HR and let them know the situation you are in, if you haven't done that already. Maybe they can provide a little flexibility.

I am a naturalized citizen and I could not sign up online. It was the year 2020. All offices were closed. So, I had to call and schedule a phone interview, then a local agent was assigned to my case.

He asked me to mail in my passport for verification. No copies are acceptable. When he is done reviewing, he then mailed my passport back to me. The whole process took about 2 months for me.

I am not sure if they would accept copies in your case.

I would also go to HR and let them know the situation you are in, if you haven't done that already. Maybe they can provide a little flexibility.

Yep, I already sent them an email (I'm retired) so it'll be interesting to see what they say if things don't go quickly enough. It would sure make more sense if I could send the Marriage License in now just so they have for my phone appointment next month.

Just disappointing that this entire SS and Medicare process is so slow and backwards. I was telling my wife from the start that this was going to be a painful process and she once again asked why I'm always so negative when it comes to this stuff.

She hated to admit I was right (again). The wait continues I guess...

Back
Top Bottom