Getting Ready

Gotadimple

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I didn't think I was going to write about this last week at w*ork, but this is turning out be even better than I imagined.

So today was day 1 with 4 more to go. Spent the morning training my replacement and figuring out how much we had left to discuss. We're in good shape and I'm setting myself up for no repetitive phone calls and emails between now and full retirement on July 11.

Had an afternoon reception where I was given the 'retirement gift' along with cake etc. This went far better than I expected. I'm generally very emotional at good-byes, but other than misting up a few times, I had the time of my life.

Well, it wasn't better than you know what, but it was very, very pleasant.

So what's left to do? Deliver performance reviews with my replacement, continue cleaning out the office, and negotiate if I need to return during my vacation period for 'consulting.'

The last big event happens on May 22nd, at a special evening reception with key management I have worked with over the last 16 years. I'm looking forward to this, not as a good-bye, but as it's been nice and I hope y'all do well in the future.

You who have hit RE before me, you've been an inspiration on how to approach this. It feels so right to say, "Oh, you'll be just fine without me," without any emotion at all.

This was the right time to make this decision.

I'll report back how the last day (Friday) proceeded.

-- Rita

Woo hoo!!

I hopw you enjoy the time you have left at work - as we should enjoy every moment.

My recent "retirement" was similar, in that the company said "let 'em eat cake"...

Whew! Done!

Well, that was a little harder than I thought it would be.

I had hoped to get a few meetings done in the morning and fade away at lunch. But my visitors kept streaming by. After 16 years, it was a little difficult to deal with emotions I had for subordinates and colleagues. I hadn't realized how strongly I felt.

But! In spite of that it is the right decision and I am absolutely ecstatic to not have to deal with any more megacorp silliness.

So here in the Seattle area, it is finally spring, the sun is shining (!), and the buttercups and moss continue to mock me. Time to have a heart-to-heart with the plant life about acceptable behavior.

I'll check in with you all later.

-- Rita
100% retired!

Good on you! Rest, relax, enjoy some of that Seattle spring weather, and let us know how things morph in the first days and weeks of FIRE! Being a couple years behind you, I'm interested to know how things evolve.

Good luck!

R

Even though I've ER'd only 9 days before you - welcome to the club! Congratulations.

Here in NJ, its the dogwoods and azaleas that are blooming.

Back
Top Bottom