Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-12-2008, 06:10 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't play golf yet, although I've hit balls and chasd them a couple of times. I'm planning to take lessons next spring, and should be on the senior tour in a couple years after that. It doesn't look that hard.

These are pictures of the golf course that surrounds my neighborhood. Here is the fairway of the 6th hole as seen from my deck. The first body of water is a pond/water hazard. The second is the Assawoman Bay. That's Ocean City in the distance. The second picture is a downloaded picture for the 5th hole.

The course is Lighthouse Sound in Bishopville MD. It's a beautiful course. We ride our bikes on the cart path in the evenings. The only thing I'm worried about is that if I learn to play here I might not be able to play other courses where the wind isn't blowing 20 mph all the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0164.JPG (317.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg wallpaper01m.jpg (20.5 KB, 95 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2008, 06:46 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

These should qualify!

Old 09-12-2008, 06:48 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

OK, that's much better.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:02 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
-
I was terrified waiting for a bus or cab in the block near the National Portrait Gallery; how does that compare?
Cuppa - this is a result of not knowing a place well enough to be sure what to expect. I sometimes feel the same when I am in a new city and don't know about the area I am in. I'm down in the area you mentioned frequently and walk home from there with DW at night. The city has gotten very vibrant in the past decade or so and is safe in areas that used to be worrisome. The Portrait Gallery is in what is now called "The Penn Quarter" (north of Pennsylvania Ave). It is anchored by the Verizon Center and the Convention Center and is full of restaurants and people. Forty years ago people were fearful in the Capitol Hill area I live in. I have been here since 1982 and never had a problem. It is booming now - DW and I hope to stay till we drop.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:25 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Don, I was there in '93, there might have been a lot of construction going on.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:20 AM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

I collected pictures from courses I played, trying to take 1 or 2 shots on each hole. They made great screen savers during my working days. Here are a few of my favorite Par 3's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg University Ridge Hole 17b.jpg (268.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Whistling Straits-023.jpg (168.9 KB, 1 views)
Old 09-13-2008, 10:22 AM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

...and a couple more...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SentryWorld Hole 16c.jpg (232.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Torrey Pines South Hole 03b.jpg (230.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Tuckaway Hole 05b.jpg (280.3 KB, 1 views)
Old 09-13-2008, 11:33 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Beautiful, gsquared, they look like home to me. Southern Wisconsin?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2450.jpg (360.7 KB, 1 views)
Old 09-13-2008, 04:15 PM   #29

My favorite local course.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:34 AM   #30

The most beautiful course I ever played was on the island of Terciera, one of the islands of the Azores, way out in the Atlantic Ocean. Beautiful green grass and trees around me, incredible blue sky above me, and the Atlantic Ocean as far as the eye could see.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:02 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Cuppa - this is a result of not knowing a place well enough to be sure what to expect.
It may also be the result of the way the mind works. We compare one thing to another, rather than make absolute judgments. I consider where I live quite safe, and I would say that the immediate few blocks is. But all the time I am walking through really disordered street sht, stuff that has never gone bad when I was there, but does go bad not infrequently.

My son, who lives in a more homogeneous area of the city, avoids streets in his car than I have been walking down regularly and where from time to time someone goes down. I think I need to change that. I just naturally am drawn to street life and when something is happening I get curious. I keep expecting age to help me out, but I think I need to take a more active role in getting smarter.

I am going to start taking detours when I see body postures or hear certain kinds of shouts. One just naturally adjusts to what is around, but it really doesn't mean that it is safe, only that we have become accustomed to it.

Ha
Old 09-14-2008, 04:17 PM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

These are mostly from Wisconsin, Cuppa.

University Ridge #17 (Madison)
Whistling Straights #17 (Haven...or, they like to say Kohler)
SentryWorld #16 (Steven's Point)
Torrey Pines #3 (San Diego - Future home)
Tuckaway #5 (Milwaukee)

I don't think there is anywhere you can beat the selection of golf courses that you can get in Wisconson. Of course, you only get to enjoy them 2/3 of the year.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:15 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
It may also be the result of the way the mind works. We compare one thing to another, rather than make absolute judgments. I consider where I live quite safe, and I would say that the immediate few blocks is. But all the time I am walking through really disordered street sht, stuff that has never gone bad when I was there, but does go bad not infrequently.
Actually, I used to wander the rough parts of DC all the time, with never a care in the world. Nobody bothered a raggedy, long haired guy. I probably scared a few tourists myself.

Later in life, I realized I had changed into an bald, overweight, prosperous looking white guy. In other words, a target. This is when I really started paying attention to what was going on. Also, DW was usually with me, so it wasn't just myself and my sensibilities I had to worry about. I bet if I spent lots of time in town and got comfortable with it, I would start to take my safety more for granted again.

Plus, now I look like a bald, overweight, raggedy ex-hippy. Not so much of a target anymore.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:13 AM   #34

i don't golf; i just post. here's an oldee but goodie...

though, this is more par for my course...

photo credit: By sayzey on Flickr

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:44 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana].....
My son, who lives in a more homogeneous area of the city, avoids streets in his car than I have been walking down regularly and where from time to time someone goes down. I think I need to change that. I just naturally am drawn to street life and when something is happening I get curious. I keep expecting age to help me out, but I think I need to take a more active role in getting smarter.
-
Interesting, Ha, years ago someone labeled me, "the walkingist 'Joe'" she had ever met. I always adjust my destination by what's going down around me. A classic example is guy walking too slow up ahead, I quickly judge things about him, if he's old I just pass around him, if he's young and tough looking I go way out of my way NOT to catch up with him; sometimes ducking into a storefront, turning onto another street, or pretending to wait for a bus.

There are many blocks and sub-neighborhoods I always avoid and am shocked when friends casually drive through them because it's the most direct route.

Edit: My city, like D.C. has changed a lot over the last 40 plus years, so I now walk in many areas that have been gentrified, places I wouldn't have gone near 20 years ago are now trendy and walkable. That is not necessarily a good thing, but that's for the soapbox.