Golf Courses! Post your photos here!

I collected pictures from courses I played, trying to take 1 or 2 shots on each hole. They made great screen savers during my working days. Here are a few of my favorite Par 3's.

Attachments

• University Ridge Hole 17b.jpg
    University Ridge Hole 17b.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Whistling Straits-023.jpg
    Whistling Straits-023.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 1
...and a couple more...

Attachments

• SentryWorld Hole 16c.jpg
    SentryWorld Hole 16c.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Torrey Pines South Hole 03b.jpg
    Torrey Pines South Hole 03b.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Tuckaway Hole 05b.jpg
    Tuckaway Hole 05b.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 1
Beautiful, gsquared, they look like home to me. Southern Wisconsin?

Attachments

• IMG_2450.jpg
    IMG_2450.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 1
The most beautiful course I ever played was on the island of Terciera, one of the islands of the Azores, way out in the Atlantic Ocean. Beautiful green grass and trees around me, incredible blue sky above me, and the Atlantic Ocean as far as the eye could see.

Cuppa - this is a result of not knowing a place well enough to be sure what to expect.
It may also be the result of the way the mind works. We compare one thing to another, rather than make absolute judgments. I consider where I live quite safe, and I would say that the immediate few blocks is. But all the time I am walking through really disordered street sht, stuff that has never gone bad when I was there, but does go bad not infrequently.

My son, who lives in a more homogeneous area of the city, avoids streets in his car than I have been walking down regularly and where from time to time someone goes down. I think I need to change that. I just naturally am drawn to street life and when something is happening I get curious. I keep expecting age to help me out, but I think I need to take a more active role in getting smarter.

I am going to start taking detours when I see body postures or hear certain kinds of shouts. One just naturally adjusts to what is around, but it really doesn't mean that it is safe, only that we have become accustomed to it.

Ha

These are mostly from Wisconsin, Cuppa.

University Ridge #17 (Madison)
Whistling Straights #17 (Haven...or, they like to say Kohler)
SentryWorld #16 (Steven's Point)
Torrey Pines #3 (San Diego - Future home)
Tuckaway #5 (Milwaukee)

I don't think there is anywhere you can beat the selection of golf courses that you can get in Wisconson. Of course, you only get to enjoy them 2/3 of the year.

It may also be the result of the way the mind works. We compare one thing to another, rather than make absolute judgments. I consider where I live quite safe, and I would say that the immediate few blocks is. But all the time I am walking through really disordered street sht, stuff that has never gone bad when I was there, but does go bad not infrequently.

Actually, I used to wander the rough parts of DC all the time, with never a care in the world. Nobody bothered a raggedy, long haired guy. I probably scared a few tourists myself. >:D

Later in life, I realized I had changed into an bald, overweight, prosperous looking white guy. In other words, a target. This is when I really started paying attention to what was going on. Also, DW was usually with me, so it wasn't just myself and my sensibilities I had to worry about. I bet if I spent lots of time in town and got comfortable with it, I would start to take my safety more for granted again.

Plus, now I look like a bald, overweight, raggedy ex-hippy. Not so much of a target anymore. :D

My son, who lives in a more homogeneous area of the city, avoids streets in his car than I have been walking down regularly and where from time to time someone goes down. I think I need to change that. I just naturally am drawn to street life and when something is happening I get curious. I keep expecting age to help me out, but I think I need to take a more active role in getting smarter.

-
Interesting, Ha, years ago someone labeled me, "the walkingist 'Joe'" she had ever met. I always adjust my destination by what's going down around me. A classic example is guy walking too slow up ahead, I quickly judge things about him, if he's old I just pass around him, if he's young and tough looking I go way out of my way NOT to catch up with him; sometimes ducking into a storefront, turning onto another street, or pretending to wait for a bus.

There are many blocks and sub-neighborhoods I always avoid and am shocked when friends casually drive through them because it's the most direct route.

Edit: My city, like D.C. has changed a lot over the last 40 plus years, so I now walk in many areas that have been gentrified, places I wouldn't have gone near 20 years ago are now trendy and walkable. That is not necessarily a good thing, but that's for the soapbox.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom