Graduate School After Retirement

Definitely not unless the field of study is of passion, the tuition is free, and the knowledge gained will be applied.

That's great to hear! Are you also working as a TA or RA in the program or just doing the academic program? How far into the program have you gotten?

I turned down the government subsidy that's available out here so I could keep my part time job and would not be obliged to act as a TA or RA, but there was a gap in staffing so I volunteered to teach (creative writing - fiction).

I then found that (i) they have no course materials from the previous teacher so I had to create my own for the entire course and (ii) they increased the class size by more than a third from what was advertised. :face palm:

First class is on Friday.

I started in June, so only eight months in and my first qualifying report is due in mid-May. My supervisor is very supportive which helps.

Here is another reason I would not want to pursue this... cost...

Just looked up for law school here.... just tuition and books are $35K per year (law degree) and you go at least 3 years...

Why would I want to drop $100K+ on something that did not pay back... I could think of many other ways to spend $100K and have more enjoyment...

That is a VERY, VERY important point that I neglected to mention (or simply didn't think about). Generally speaking, law school is VERY expensive. I have a free ride, so there is no cost involved for me. *IF* I had to drop a single dime on it, I would most likely NOT be attending...so that is a HUGE consideration.

That is a VERY, VERY important point that I neglected to mention (or simply didn't think about). Generally speaking, law school is VERY expensive. I have a free ride, so there is no cost involved for me. *IF* I had to drop a single dime on it, I would most likely NOT be attending...so that is a HUGE consideration.

+1
Student Loans and Older Americans

“It is alarming that older Americans [age 60+] are the fastest growing segment of student loan borrowers,” said CFPB director Richard Cordray. “We are concerned that student loans are contributing to financial insecurity for many older Americans.”

Back
Top Bottom