Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-15-2014, 05:39 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
As long as I can get outside, I am rarely bored. However, on a miserable rainy day, or a bitter cold winter day when I'm stuck in the house I do sometimes feel a little bored.
DW and I play golf on weekend (both days). For us, it's a whole day event - 18 holes, dinner, and TV or game in the evening. But when golf is canceled abruptly by weather, I have hard time replacing the day with anything else other than moping around home. No back up plan ---> boredom .

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2014, 07:55 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
This is more or less my lifestyle. I could never understand why people seem to have a need to always be doing something.

Once someone was giving giving me a sob story about how hard their life was and telling me how easy I had it because I was retired. I told them: Just because I'm retired doesn't mean I don't have problems. For instance, some days I have trouble staying in bed till 10 o' clock

I am like you, Razz. I can kill a day doing nothing and enjoy every minute of it. I would much rather go back to work than learn new hobbies and interests. I have enough interests to keep me busy, and when I don't, this internet invention fills all dead time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 07-15-2014, 08:04 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have an extensive 'dream list' of activities that I created during my lunch breaks while eating at my desk at megacorp. Sprinkled between do nothing days at home, I think that my time will be filled for quite awhile!
Old 07-15-2014, 08:15 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Me, too. Last week in family Alsaka cruise trip, DS brought a book that I read in high school, Cat's cradle. I read it again and it reminded me how I used to love reading books. It also reminded me that it was the first time in years that I read a book other than manuals, product specifications, e-mails, etc.. Can't wait til RE and get back to reading.
OMG I was on an Alaska cruise last week too! We left Seward 7/4/14, Royal Caribbean. Which one were you on?

I too read books on the cruise.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:05 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
OMG I was on an Alaska cruise last week too! We left Seward 7/4/14, Royal Caribbean. Which one were you on?

I too read books on the cruise.

The same! We were shipmates. Did you see the most perfect double rainbow ever? Only a small portion of us saw that.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:39 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Only 5 months into ER so maybe not enough time yet to say for sure, but so far my days have been fairly busy. This is in part due to the fact I am still dealing with settling up my Dad's estate which is out of state, and we also recently put our house on the market. Of course, when colder weather arrives the daily schedule will change quite a bit.

If we are able to relocate within the next few months I would expect our schedule will be fairly full as a result. I am looking forward to getting settled in to our retirement place, wherever that is, and getting a routine established.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:26 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
The same! We were shipmates. Did you see the most perfect double rainbow ever? Only a small portion of us saw that.

Yes we did. Sorry I took so long to reply. I'm still w**king.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-01-2014, 02:53 PM   #48

I am semi retired going on 5 years now....never been bored! I do wish that DH was semi-retired also so we could hang out. For now, I have the diy projects, Pinterest, 3 crazy cats, and lots of reading/research on the internet to keep me very busy. When I really don't have anything to do...there is always napping
Old 08-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

I try to keep my weeks flexible based on the weather.. I like to bicycle and run outside but on rainy days I go to a health club and either swim or do a spin class... I watch the weather forecasts daily and usually can develop my weekly plan (flexible).
Old 08-01-2014, 04:49 PM   #50

Retired 6+ years - don't see how it is possible to have too much time. Time zips along way too quickly.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:00 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I say people who can't keep entertained during retirement lack creativity.

Almost 1 year into retirement, I find myself as busy as I was when working. I'm doing a lot more of the fun stuff I did while working, and developed a few new hobbies/interests like writing, blogging, photoshop, and taking online college courses.

Just this weekend while at the lake I noticed they offer sailing classes. That's something I've always been interested in, so maybe I'll sign up for classes. I'm still learning that today is the first today of the rest of my life, and there's no reason to wait to do things that interest me.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:12 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I am one of those people. It doesn't take much to keep me content. ... I have, in many ways, returned to being the content and fairly reclusive personality I was as a teenager.
Really interesting. I've been thinking a lot about this. Like 91% of those here (per previous poll), I'm an introvert. As introverts in corporate environments must, I developed the pseudo-extrovert qualities needed to succeed over a multi-decade career. I don't doubt that much of the inner drive fueling my early retirement quest is a yearning to return to my authentic self. But what will that look like decades later? Will it be like my teenager/early-20s years? I look forward to finding out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Introverts Unite!
.....one at a time
Old 08-06-2014, 01:11 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife is worried about this so I am doing the Semi-retired thing, working 3 days a week with benefits. I start next week on the new schedule. Today I asked my SO - lets go to the beach on Monday, or Tuesday next week - she looked at me strange then realized - "I better tell my boss that I won't be around Sat thru Tuesday anymore"

Its hard to believe, i am so grateful that I can do this! I feel guilty - but that shall pass.

I started a house work todo list - it was lost. I can't do that stuff as I am haveing too much fun doing things like, Fishing/Kayaking/Hiking/Camping/Tennis/Reading/Cooking and Eating good food, etc.....

;-)
Old 08-06-2014, 01:46 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
They should not retire ....
Old 08-06-2014, 02:30 PM   #55

I went home on my lunch break, and probably had what's going to end up being the most productive part of my day. Did a quick workout...some bench pressing and biceps. Fed and played some with the semi-feral cat that's been hanging around...trying to get it friendly enough to take to the SPCA, and have it be adoptable. Pulled up a few weeds. Watered some plants and then kicked back with a glass of water, while I topped off the fish pond. Would rather have kicked back with a beer, but since I had to go back to work, maybe not a good idea!

It felt a helluva lot more productive, and more meaningful, than sitting around the office slinging PowerPoint charts around! I think as long as I can afford it, I'd be happy doing piddly stuff like what I did on my lunch break. As Apollo once said on Battlestar Galactica, "What's a warrior to do after he's lost the big battle? Start winning some little ones!"
Old 08-06-2014, 02:46 PM   #56

I don't know if I will be bored with nothing to do when I retire. Having a job gives me structure, and I think I will need to come up with some kind of structure when I retire. I really hope I won't be, but if I'm too bored, I guess I can always find a j*b or something
Old 08-07-2014, 03:41 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
It felt a helluva lot more productive, and more meaningful, than sitting around the office slinging PowerPoint charts around! I think as long as I can afford it, I'd be happy doing piddly stuff like what I did on my lunch break. As Apollo once said on Battlestar Galactica, "What's a warrior to do after he's lost the big battle? Start winning some little ones!"
"God, I miss slinging Powerpoint charts!" Said no early retiree. Ever.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:58 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

We are halfway through year 3, and we got bored in the winter. We're in the Boston area. We do some outdoor activities in winter, but DH has bad asthma, so only if the temp is above 35 or so. We are pretty much through the "to-do" list. DH was so bored he applied for a contract job, luckily he did not get it.

Our plan is to be snow birds once the dog passes on and that will help. We travel about 10-12 weeks during the year, would like to make it 6 months.

We love to be outdoors, but the asthma is really an issue. It keeps him inside at least 1-2 days a week all year long. Humidity, rain, cold are all triggers.

Even when we are bored we look at each other and repeat "better to be bored than working".
Old 08-09-2014, 08:06 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post

Almost 1 year into retirement, I find myself as busy as I was when working. I'm doing a lot more of the fun stuff I did while working, and developed a few new hobbies/interests like writing, blogging, photoshop, and taking online college courses.

Just this weekend while at the lake I noticed they offer sailing classes. That's something I've always been interested in, so maybe I'll sign up for classes. I'm still learning that today is the first today of the rest of my life, and there's no reason to wait to do things that interest me.
I just took sailing classes this summer, sunfish and keelboat and fell in love! I've bought an old sunfish, which I am restoring, and having way too much fun!
Old 08-09-2014, 10:41 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwdownmyaceinthehole View Post
I just took sailing classes this summer, sunfish and keelboat and fell in love! I've bought an old sunfish, which I am restoring, and having way too much fun!
Sounds awesome! Our parks and recreation department teaches on sunfish boats.