Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Home Owners Association Do-gooders (Rant)
Old 03-06-2007, 02:42 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg
My last HOA spent eight months arguing about some one's bird feeder .
I can just 'feel' the love......

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2007, 03:13 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It seems the problem is that someone with legal authority has said they define the building as a public location... which is probably true as it is not owned by an individual....

Wait and see what the lawyers say... but you can still do the 'game' without any buy in... or as someone else suggested, make sure that the money spent on beer and other munchies are more than the total bill and just divie up the cost to the losers... ie, $30 of munchies and Joe owes $10, Leroy owes $3 and Grumpy has a credit balance of $5 for next week...

Old 03-06-2007, 10:43 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
still under the control of the developer until all houses are completed.
Wouldn't that mean that the HOA and the common areas are in fact, not public, but private under the control of a company (the builder).
Maybe that suggestion would only be a short term solution, but, could buy some time, and maybe the S**$B would depart (move or otherwise).
Old 03-06-2007, 11:24 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Historically, and in most current developments, the HOA was created to allow the developer to control the "good appearance" of a subdivision they were building until they were finished constructing and selling units.

It wasnt until later in the development of the whole HOA critter that people in the subdivision took over and continued to operate the HOA, for a variety of reasons...

In most cases they just faded to black, leaving a more or less unenforced set of CC&R's.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:19 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Generally, I think HOAs are a good idea. Just look at the places with junk autos parked on the lawn, pink painted homes, refrigerators on the front portch and you would thank the HOA rules. Also, in a lot of places a good HOA increases the property values in relation to homes without them.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:33 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
Generally, I think HOAs are a good idea. Just look at the places with junk autos parked on the lawn, pink painted homes, refrigerators on the front portch and you would thank the HOA rules. Also, in a lot of places a good HOA increases the property values in relation to homes without them.
I'm on the board of a HOA in a rural subdivision (lot size from 3 to 10 acres). The developer disappeared after most of the lots were sold and no restrictions were enforced for almost 5 years. Now that we have an active HOA, we are having a devil of a time getting people to comply with the most basic restrictions.

An example: I just got through drafting a letter to a homeowner who, even thought the restrictions clearly state you cannot keep livestock on your property, has two cows! Her response to our request she get rid of them: "I'll comply with the restrictions after everyone else does." Sheesh....

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:40 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
Generally, I think HOAs are a good idea. Just look at the places with junk autos parked on the lawn, pink painted homes, refrigerators on the front portch and you would thank the HOA rules.
Maybe if you live in an unincorporated area this could be the case. But in our town, and most towns, there are zoing R and R's to contend with that prohibit abandoned cars in the front lawn and that sort of thing as well as the normal building codes and specifications. Our town will come out and enforce if someone complains. But, unlike many HOA's, they aren't busy-bodies obcessing over minute details and worrying about what color undies you're putting on this morning.

In a situation like REWahoo's, the no-livestock regulation could be easily enforced by the town fathers.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:08 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Where I live now has unenforced cc&r's, no HOA. There are a few homes that could really use a coat of paint, and one guy the next street over thats decided that his time mowing his lawn is better spent (and i'm not making this up) making wind chimes out of old cd's and beer cans to hang from his eaves out in the front of the house. Couple of dead cars sitting in side yards. 97-98% of it looks pretty good though.

Depends on how high the rental rate and how well the property values are. Pride of ownership makes things work well.

One of my neighbors likes to leave his 5th wheel out front of his house for days at a time, which on a court makes it in front of my house as well. Not the most attractive thing, but he's a good neighbor, good dad and an excellent role model for the kids. With that in mind, looking at his RV out my front windows for a few days here and there isnt making it into the top 20 problems list.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:26 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet

In a situation like REWahoo's, the no-livestock regulation could be easily enforced by the town fathers.
Our subdivision is located in an unincorporated area so we have no town fathers...just a few neighborhood bastids.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:51 AM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

my biggest problem with the HOA (or rather, condo association) at my old place was the inconsistency of it all. They liked to pick and choose the violations they wanted to go after, and seemed to only go after certain people. Two different homeowners could have the same violation, but if they liked one and not the other, guess who they'd go after?

And sometimes, the board members would be the biggest violators of all!
Old 03-08-2007, 08:52 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
We live in a "55 or better" community. It is a gated community and access to our clubhouse is controlled by magnetic cards issued only to residents. The community is run by a Homeowners Association (HOA) that is still under the control of the developer until all houses are completed. For the last two years we have held monthly poker nights in the clubhouse. This is very low stakes - $5 buy-in. The house takes no cut, the game is hosted by a different volunteer each month. Maximum bet is $.25. Now, because of an anonymous complaint to the state Charitable Games Commission, we have been visited by a "Senior Special Agent" from the commission's Enforcement Division. We are pretty sure that the complaint came from a "bible-thumper" resident. The community management agent has suspended any and all gambling in the clubhouse until the HOA attorney researches the issue. The agent stated that Virginia law prohibits gambling in public locations; a poker game in a private home is allowed but not in our clubhouse which is considered a public facility. We are starting a letter writing campaign to our county supervisor and to our state delegate to get this issue settled either administratively, or legislatively, if necessary.

I guess this rant is really directed at the do-gooders who are trying to impose their morality on the community. When they hold bible study sessions in the clubhouse nobody complains but they feel they have the right to prevent a purely social event because it offends their beliefs. I hope that they don't realize that people actually get naked in the locker rooms, we may have to start working out in our street clothes! I can see that the upcoming election of a homeowner board of directors for the HOA is going to get ugly.

Anybody else live under an HOA or Condo association? Have you had these kinds of issues?

Grumpy
Use Chips, Buy them before you go to the club house, settle up once a week at someones home. or take the game to someone's house.

SWR
Old 03-08-2007, 09:02 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Hey REWahoo......

I was down your way a couple of months ago in the Kingsland and Marble Falls area, staying on Lake LBJ. DW and I went out and looked at some houses and land one afternoon. We liked a development where the HOA was running longhorns on the common property! Individual homes had fences around them and cattle ran amongst them. Now there you are with your HOA trying to get rid of a couple of cows........
Old 03-08-2007, 09:07 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
just a few neighborhood bastids.
As long as they're good sh*ts...
Old 03-08-2007, 09:12 AM   #34

Quote:
Hey REWahoo......

I was down your way a couple of months ago in the Kingsland and Marble Falls area, staying on Lake LBJ. DW and I went out and looked at some houses and land one afternoon. We liked a development where the HOA was running longhorns on the common property! Individual homes had fences around them and cattle ran amongst them. Now there you are with your HOA trying to get rid of a couple of cows........
Ain't life grand!

If the restrictions in our subdivision allowed for feed lots cattle ranching, I would have absolutely no problem with it since I wouldn't have bought a lot and built a home here. But since it doesn't allow livestock, I'm one of those weird people who believe residents should live by the rules.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:19 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
As long as they're good sh*ts...
I have no idea. Neighborhood restrictions also prohibit hunting.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:27 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

No longhorns..... No hunting..... You pulling our collective leg here? You sure you live in Texas? Next thing you'll be telling us you don't wear a cowboy hat and chaps everyday!
Old 03-08-2007, 09:34 AM   #37

Just got an email from one of the poker regulars - he's hosting a game at his house this afternoon. This is a good alternative but having 6 or 7 players in his home is just not the same kind of social event that our clubhouse poker night was. There we usually had at least 5 table of 6 to 7 players. Everyone brought munchies to share and a good time was had by all. It was a good opportunity to chat with folks I hadn't seen for a while and helped maintain a sense of community. The SOB's who filed the complaint probably never attended any of the community social events. I'm still pissed!

Grumpy
Old 03-08-2007, 09:35 AM   #38

Quote:
Next thing you'll be telling us you don't wear a cowboy and chaps everyday!
No cowboys worn here. The name of our subdivision is not Brokeback Mountain.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:43 AM   #39

Grumpy,

Looks like your HOA situation is a topic of discussion on the HOA Talk board. It doesn't look good for your chances to get the OK to use HOA property for your poker games:

http://www.hoatalk.com/Forum/tabid/5...1/Default.aspx
http://www.hoatalk.com/Forum/tabid/5...1/Default.aspx

You will probably have to register to get access.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:06 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
No cowboys worn here. The name of our subdivision is not Brokeback Mountain.
As long as you have a 1970's era Cadillac convertible with the horns on the hood, we can let this little transgression slip...