Homeowner Association Fee Survey

tednvon

Recycles dryer sheets
Hello, really enjoyed the HOA thread...since my spouse is president of our condo association and really has done a great job after a previous management company left us broke, I am intereted in what the various fees are for those of you in HOA's.

I know it might be apples to oranges in some cases, but interested in ballpark monthly figures for comparing....Thanks....Ted

Ours is a condo association with 52 units...HOA fees $200/month, includes water, sewer, indoor pool.

Our community consists of about 215 units...some are townhouse type, others are apartment type. The fees vary according to the size of the unit. My unit (one of the largest models) has a fee of $187 per month. This covers the usual maintenance (lawn, snow removal) etc. and also pool, tennis courts, and clubhouse. From what I can tell, this is about average for our area (Eastern Penna.)

Our HOA fees are only $10/month.

Why so low? The subdivision located in a rural area and no property is owned by the HOA. The $120 annual fee per lot is used primarily to enforce the restrictions, pay for street lights at each intersection, and maintain the entrance.

$350/year, ~75 single-family homes, covers small outdoor pool & party area plus a little neighborhood entrance lansdcaping. Homes on the lake or canal pay a little more--$450 I think--as they can pump water for irrigation.

$200 a year. Pays for maintenance on the community dock, some insurance I think, and we've bought a few trees and shrubs. Dirt road with only 4 houses right now, total of 8 lots. Good bit of cash in the account right now, since we are thinking of adding some shell sand and re-grading the road.
We are out in the country like REWahoo.
Sarah

REWahoo! said:
Our HOA fees are only $10/month.
Why so low? The subdivision located in a rural area and no property is owned by the HOA. The $120 annual fee per lot is used primarily to enforce the restrictions, pay for street lights at each intersection, and maintain the entrance.
Oh, yeah? I can beat that!

Our old HOA raised fees in 1988, which nearly caused a revolution, to $7.50 per month. It pays for the professional management company, the groundskeeping, and the occasional graffiti paint-out party or broken light bulb on the walking trail.

They were going to raise the HOA fees in the early '90s but the widening of Kamehameha Highway condemned some of their easement land and was sold to the state for a huge profit. They were going to raise the fees again in the late '90s to pay for a recreation center but the city built Central Oahu Regional Park (with its swimming pool) across the street. So we've dodged a lot of bullets, but I think they're going to go up before the decade is over.

Our Mililani community HOA fees are $30/month.

Detached family homes - about 1500 in our subdivision.

Most homes have fees slighly less than $40 per month (includes common area maintenance and landscaping); those homes in a gated sub-subdivision (I think it's about 200 homes total) have about double that.

$210.00 a month Diamond Head 54 unit 3 building/3 story. Was $110 in 1978 but that paid real estate taxes (now $1200 extra a year) Used to have full time resident manager, a part time gardener and pool service. Over the years the resident manager took over those duties. Now we only have a part time gardener/poolman. All one bedrooms.

$202.35 a month Diamond Head 119 unit 3 building/3story Resident manager, gardeners and pool service. Studios and one bedroom units with about 10 different size units. I'm second largest size. Someone is really anal to come out with fees to the penny!

$364 a month Waikiki 11story/42 unit. One and two bedrooms. I have two bedroom unit. Parttime resident manager and groundskeeper. A no frills building, no pool (one block to the beach) one elevator self managed.

Weekend place is $200/yr. Rural, with a gravel road, 26 lots. We do have some common area rip-rap along the water and an earthen dam to maintain between a pond and the open bay.

honobob said:
$210.00 a month Diamond Head 54 unit 3 building/3 story. Was $110 in 1978 but that paid real estate taxes (now $1200 extra a year) Used to have full time resident manager, a part time gardener and pool service. Over the years the resident manager took over those duties. Now we only have a part time gardener/poolman. All one bedrooms.

That is exactly what I pay in Texas. Complex sounds almost identical,
i.e. "54 unit 3 building/3 story", although ours are all 2 bedroom units.
At first I thought this was high. Now (after 2 years) I think I am getting good value.

JG

Our HOA fees are currently $210/month going to $215 in January. We are a "55 or better" gated community of 800 single family homes. The HOA fees cover trash pickup, snow removal (from streets and sidewalks but not driveways) all common area landscaping, reserves for future replacements and use of the clubhouse (indoor & outdoor pools, tennis courts, putting green, driving cage, bocce court, computer center, billiard room, card room, cyber cafe, ballroom, fitness center). The developer is still in control of the HOA and subsidizes the expenses to the tune of about $300K per year. I expect the fees will increase substantially when the HOA transitions from developer to homeowner control in about two more years.

Grumpy

I also live in an Over 55 Community. The homeowner dues are now $135 a month. This includes security and maintaining the clubhouse, exercise area, pools, tennis courts, etc.

I pay $105 a month.

It includes: front yard maintenance, 24 hour security, maintenance and lighting of common areas which has multiple play grounds, bike paths, wetlands and a club house...

My subdivision consists of a bunch of smaller neighborhoods of 100+ houses in each. There are probably 1000 or more houses total.

They are very active in monitoring the rules are followed. We have parking rules, garbage can rules, holidat decoration rules......etc. The property values have held better than other neighborhoods without the HOA rules.

I chose to live there because of the security and front yard maintenance knowing I would ER shortly after moving there and be free to travel. I can have them monitor my home more closely than the local police when I'm away.....

My small (26 unit) townhome/condo community charges $133 month for a two bedroom.This covers professional management, lawn care, snow removal,driveways, exterior repair. No pool or recreation facililities. It's a new development and we don't have a very large reserve at all. I don't think the fees are high enough yet.

Chandler, AZ
2-3 BR townhomes <100 units

$160/month includes community pool area, landscaping, exterior maint, water/sewage/trash, and insurance

Southwest Ohio
- 3br 3400 sq ft
- $324/month for HOA

- 50+ condo units mixed retired and working - Rate doubled in 2001 after "golf-ball sized" hail required new roofs for all units and Ohio required rigorous reserve-fund accounting for age-related maintenance costs.

JohnP

Our is $1550 per year right now in an un-man gated subdivision of 72 homes/lots, the fees basically covers the CAM including the entrance landscape and lakes.

Mach1

Western suburbs of Chicago. All single family homes built in a sub-division by a number of different builders. Some custom homes, some spec homes, all built within fairly strict municipal zoning guidelines and requirements. Two non-gated entrances.

HOA annual fee = $15. Membership voluntary, but near 100%

This pays for maintenance of the plantings by the entrances and an annual picnic in our park where we get a chance to meet each other. Our only "rules" are those of our town through zoning and ordinance. The elected HOA folks win my praise by what they get done through volunteer efforts and the fact they have so much clout with town officials to ensure services at a top notch level.

We seem to get everything that communities with mandatory HOA's and large monthly fees get except, and of course this is a big one, we are responsible for the exterior maintenace of our homes.

Moving out
Eastern Pa, $590/year; give or take 250 single residential houses with some town homes, covers pool, couple of tennis courts and basketball courts, snow removal. Too much for the services I believe.

Moving In
Western KY $0/year. services are, we get what we pay for which is fine with me.

job

Used to own a 2 BR 2.5 BA 1200 sf condo in Chapel Hill NC. Dues were $130/month. Not a bad deal though, since they paid for water, sewer, trash, most of the insurance, yard maintenance, parking lot maintenance, pool/basketball/tennis court maintenance, clubhouse maintenance, and exterior maintenance.

Small reserves, most large improvement or maintenance items were handled through "special assessments" ranging from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars each (new siding, new roof, large scale regrading/drainage, painting/repairing decks and porches, etc).

Overall, great value for the money. Water/sewer/trash would have been ~$40/month. Insurance would have been another $20-25.

1050 Sq ft 2 bedroom Condo in Chicago's northern suburbs. ~400 units mostly condos with about 40 townhomes.

Indoor and outdoor pools, tennis courts, volleyball, big ponds, and very nice landscaping.

My monthly HOA pmt is $290 and my PPT taxes are $500

$207 going to $230 a month next year. 80 Units in 20 Buildings. About 2,800 SF finished including basement rec room. Covers Water, Sewer, Trash Service, Lawn and Irrigation, Snow Removal, most of the Insurance, outside maintenance and a RESERVE fund for future expenses. Development is new (Built in 2001-2005 in phases). Central Ohio. No pool (public pool 1 mile) and no club house (public golf course 1/2 mile away).

$38. a month- approx. 600 single family homes. The majority of the dues goes to pay management company who oversees everything for us- we have 4 parks and alot of common area landscaping.

Western Minneapolis Suburb

2br - 3600 Sq. Ft.
$300 per month HOA Fees

Have $100 Grand in the bank for future exterior maint costs.

Back
Top Bottom