How Many Dress Shirts Do I Still Need After FIREing?

The big change to my wardrobe began in 1998 when my former company changed its dress code from a combination of casualwear and formalwear to full-time casualwear. My dress shirts stayed in the closet and I began buying the far cheaper ordinary pants instead of dress pants and did not have to dry-clean them, another big plus).

I then began paring down my wardrobe, donating the dress shirts I either got tired of wearing, got worn out, or did not fit me any more (mostly that last one, I had put on some weight in the 1990s). The more recent stuff which I liked and still fit me I wore for special events such as weddings and funerals.

In 2001, when I switched to working part-time and resurrected my personal life, I returned to square dancing and one club had a dress code so I used those button-down shirts for a while until I acquired some fancier, western-style shirts for dancing. Then my old work shirts went back into retirement.

After another purge of older, non-fitting clothes in 2008, I freed up much closet space but should still do another purge to get rid of anything I haven't worn for at least 10 years.

Although not bought together originally, I have a dark blue pair of nice pants and a dark blue sport jacket which resemble a suit if work together. That's all I need for weddings and funerals now. That, and my favorite 2 or 3 ties depending on the shirt I wear. I have enough closet space now so I lack a lot of incentive do go through with the purge, especially after some problems with the last donation in 2008.

Everyone knows you need only one shirt which is worn until holes appear. Next question...

Donate blood, a T-shirt almost every time.

Yeah, I've got a lot of those. Only 6 months left on my deferral due to dental implant surgery (they used bone grafts from donors).

Kept all jackets, shirts, dresses and trousers which are expensive or I've received compliments on. As I live in the city, I wear them when I go out for formal dinners. Sometimes I pair them up with some casual stuff and wear them smart casual. About 4 jackets are just too formal ( mostly in dark blue) and they have been hanging in the wardrobe unworn for 4 years but I do not have the heart to throw them out. They are timeless in fashion and costly. Maybe my nieces will use them on future.

This thread inspired me to get rid of a lot of dress shirts and pants from my working days. I retired in 2008 and these clothes were still hanging in the closet. Kept about 3 dress shirts and a couple of pairs of pants. I went through my suits right after I retired but getting this clothing separated and off to Goodwill just never made the top of the growing project list.

One shirt, one coat, one pair of nice trousers. No ties. A nice vest. I like vests. Lots of jeans, shorts, and a lot of Tshirts with humorous sayings. A couple pair of socks: mostly white for hiking, some black for use with aforementioned coat.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom