Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-27-2014, 10:34 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

FWIW, I have noticed that being dressed up a bit often gets me better service and a more reasonable attitude when I need 'special' attention from a business.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2014, 10:41 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post
FWIW- I'm a bit sartorial. I prefer 3-pieces. Custom/Bespoke/MTM. Custom shirts, etc.
Ah, a dandy!

You're quite the throwback, but if it works for you, why not.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:45 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
FWIW, I have noticed that being dressed up a bit often gets me better service and a more reasonable attitude when I need 'special' attention from a business.
That's the exact reason I wear a clean pair of unripped shorts and a clean smelling T-shirt to walmart. And shoes. Guaranteed better service every time.

My attire also doubles as appropriate tactical gear on the occasions I need to infiltrate the locked dressing rooms that are rarely staffed with an attendant. Ain't no shame in crawling underneath the doors if no one's there to assist you, right?
Old 06-27-2014, 02:42 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

All my dress shirts are now of the loud, floral type you regularly see in beach resort areas and my slacks are all khaki.

And I don't really care what I'm wearing when buried or cremated as I will be dead at the time.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:46 PM   #45

The thing I've noticed during my first few months of retirement is not how many dress shirts I need, but how many T shirts. I last wore a dress shirt on April 2nd. I've worn T shirts almost every day since, going through 2 or 3 a day on hot days. I need to get my T shirt supply up to at least 10-15.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:35 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
That's the exact reason I wear a clean pair of unripped shorts and a clean smelling T-shirt to walmart. And shoes. Guaranteed better service every time.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:09 AM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
The thing I've noticed during my first few months of retirement is not how many dress shirts I need, but how many T shirts. I last wore a dress shirt on April 2nd. I've worn T shirts almost every day since, going through 2 or 3 a day on hot days. I need to get my T shirt supply up to at least 10-15.
Start entering athletic events (as a volunteer if you don't want to get out on the course). I have more T-shirts than I'll ever need from 5Ks, sprint triathlons, 50K charity bike rides, etc. I do need to buy a few WITHOUT words or logos for those special occasions.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:08 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Start entering athletic events (as a volunteer if you don't want to get out on the course). I have more T-shirts than I'll ever need from 5Ks, sprint triathlons, 50K charity bike rides, etc. I do need to buy a few WITHOUT words or logos for those special occasions.
Donate blood, a T-shirt almost every time.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:52 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I actually had to buy a suit since I retired, got too fat for and had a business meeting and a wedding :-( . Aloha shirts count as formal wear in Hawaii I have a bunch of those.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:14 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I need to get back into running - almost all of my t-shirts are from 5k's and a sprint tri. Good idea on volunteering - I could volunteer some, run some.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Great idea - I should be donating blood as well. My MIL donates blood and she gives me the shirts.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:56 AM   #51

The big change to my wardrobe began in 1998 when my former company changed its dress code from a combination of casualwear and formalwear to full-time casualwear. My dress shirts stayed in the closet and I began buying the far cheaper ordinary pants instead of dress pants and did not have to dry-clean them, another big plus).

I then began paring down my wardrobe, donating the dress shirts I either got tired of wearing, got worn out, or did not fit me any more (mostly that last one, I had put on some weight in the 1990s). The more recent stuff which I liked and still fit me I wore for special events such as weddings and funerals.

In 2001, when I switched to working part-time and resurrected my personal life, I returned to square dancing and one club had a dress code so I used those button-down shirts for a while until I acquired some fancier, western-style shirts for dancing. Then my old work shirts went back into retirement.

After another purge of older, non-fitting clothes in 2008, I freed up much closet space but should still do another purge to get rid of anything I haven't worn for at least 10 years.

Although not bought together originally, I have a dark blue pair of nice pants and a dark blue sport jacket which resemble a suit if work together. That's all I need for weddings and funerals now. That, and my favorite 2 or 3 ties depending on the shirt I wear. I have enough closet space now so I lack a lot of incentive do go through with the purge, especially after some problems with the last donation in 2008.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:15 PM   #52

Everyone knows you need only one shirt which is worn until holes appear. Next question...
Old 06-30-2014, 07:42 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Yeah, I've got a lot of those. Only 6 months left on my deferral due to dental implant surgery (they used bone grafts from donors).
Old 06-30-2014, 06:22 PM   #54

Kept all jackets, shirts, dresses and trousers which are expensive or I've received compliments on. As I live in the city, I wear them when I go out for formal dinners. Sometimes I pair them up with some casual stuff and wear them smart casual. About 4 jackets are just too formal ( mostly in dark blue) and they have been hanging in the wardrobe unworn for 4 years but I do not have the heart to throw them out. They are timeless in fashion and costly. Maybe my nieces will use them on future.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:01 AM   #55

This thread inspired me to get rid of a lot of dress shirts and pants from my working days. I retired in 2008 and these clothes were still hanging in the closet. Kept about 3 dress shirts and a couple of pairs of pants. I went through my suits right after I retired but getting this clothing separated and off to Goodwill just never made the top of the growing project list.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:27 PM   #56

How Many Dress Shirts Do I Still Need After FIREing?

One shirt, one coat, one pair of nice trousers. No ties. A nice vest. I like vests. Lots of jeans, shorts, and a lot of Tshirts with humorous sayings. A couple pair of socks: mostly white for hiking, some black for use with aforementioned coat.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum