Join Early Retirement Today

How Many Dress Shirts Do I Still Need After FIREing?
Old 06-25-2014, 10:03 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

How Many Dress Shirts Do I Still Need After FIREing?

As I have mentioned in previous threads, I am in the process of moving to a much smaller place and trying to downsize (declutter) big-time.

I FIREd in late May 2010. I haven't worn a suit and tie since then, but for a few times when I felt I needed to "dress up" for some occasional contract work. (But when I looked at some of my other fellow contract workers, I may have over did it a bit. They worn some kinda informal dress-up, or whatever.)

Anyway, during this process of moving, I've found that I've still got lots of dress coats, shirts, pants and ties--stuff I haven't worn since I FIREd. I don't think I'm gonna need much of what I've still got. And it looks like what I've still got in terms of dress clothes is gonna take up more closet space than it really should--these days.

What have you others--who might have to do some few semi-contract w**k-related activities have done with your old w**k-dress wardrobe?

By typing this text so far, and creating this thread, I'm thinking I've already answered my question: I should just chuck most of what I have, but keep a select few clothing items just in case, huh? What? Two or three suit coats? A black and a brown pair of slacks? A dozen or fewer ties ( and toss the other 20 or so)? And some six or so dress shirts?

What's been your experience?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2014, 10:10 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Uh, two of everything. One of everything in your current size and one the next size up. Might come in handy when you finally get around to wearin'.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:19 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Same dilemma here. I figure 5 dress shirts, two suits, and a couple pairs of dress slacks will be more than adequate.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:30 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I kept exactly one suit, for weddings, funerals, bar mitzvahs, etc. But I made a clean break with Megacorp; no contract work. But OTOH they went to "business casual" a while back, so the suits weren't really a necessity.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:36 PM   #5

Put your best stuff on, shine those shoes, and take your lady out. Use them for something worthwhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-25-2014, 11:34 PM   #6

You need just one. To be buried in, in case E-R goes horribly wrong!
Old 06-25-2014, 11:41 PM   #7

Zero

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-25-2014, 11:48 PM   #8
Administrator

I kept one black dress. It used to be for formal meetings, but now I just keep it in case somebody dies, for the funeral. The rest went to GoodWill.

Like chilkoot I won't be doing any contract work.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:18 AM   #9

I retired earlier this year. I had 28+ shirts and 15 slacks I wore for work. Once retired, we trashed/donated all but 5 shirts and 6 slacks (2 of each color in 2 sizes). I have 1 suit which I haven't worn in years, donating the rest when I changed to a job not requiring them.

I have added to my wardrobe, replacing the long sleeved shirts with short sleeved ones. Oh, and one long sleeved white dress shirt (wife trashed all the work ones), I got for a wedding.

I'm guessing I'll cut the dress clothes in half in a few years as they gather dust. Dress socks were also greatly reduced, plus several dress shoe pairs. I figure I have the minimum needed in case of a trip requiring dress up for dinners.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-26-2014, 04:47 AM   #10

Our youngest son just got married which will be the last of weddings for couple of decades. Therefore I'm down to one suit, one white dress shirt and a navy sport coat. Should be enough.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:01 AM   #11

I'm in the same situation. I have maybe 5 white dress shirts and 4 or 5 more colored ones. I have been trashing the colored ones doing woodworking and yard work. I'll keep a couple of those for that and trim down the white ones to just 2. I think you can get by with 2 dress shirts in RE
Old 06-26-2014, 06:03 AM   #12

One suit, one sport coat with nice trousers, a dozen ties. The rest to Goodwill. The white dress shirts didn't last. It only makes sense to keep a few if they are in good shape.

I've had to dress formally a bunch of times since retiring. Weddings, baptisms, funerals. Between them, more to come.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:26 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Got rid of all work clothes; the little contract work I do for old company I do in shorts and T-shirts since there is only 5 people left and they were always casual anyways.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:30 AM   #14

About 6 or 7 years ago I started getting work clothes made by a tailor. I could afford it, they were made in the USA, they fit beautifully and were as comfortable as pajamas. I've got 2 suits, a skirt, 3 dress shirts and more separates than I care to think about. We're talking over $10K total. I had planned to retire at 65 and retired at 61 instead. Now I wear the separates to church (sometimes) and have almost no use for the suits. Although I'm female, I had planned to wear the navy blue pinstripe one to a high-society family wedding last March rather than go out and buy a dress I'd wear once, but USAirways messed up our flight and we never got there.

I'm hanging on to all of them. I'm careful about my weight so I shouldn't
"grow out" of them. I may also eventually do some charity work where I'll attend the occasional benefit.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:00 AM   #15

I gave about $5,000 worth of suits and coats and ties to a former co-worker who was my size. Still have way too many dress pants and shirts. Will be culling those and sending off to Salvation Army soon.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:09 AM   #16

I have one starched and pressed oxford white shirt, 9 years later it is still in the dry cleaners bag.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:20 AM   #17

My staple is a blue blazer, grey slacks and both a white and light blue shirt. I kept 3 ties, all unusual but conservative. I have black, brown penny loafers, one pair of really dressy shoes and that's about it. Each year I give a little more away but I needed my pants and coats taken in......since I don't have to go out on those high calorie business lunches I've lost weight. And, I do have a suit just in case I need it......haven't yet.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:50 AM   #18

Thanks for all the comments, based upon your experiences. Looks like I'll be making another trip to Goodwill with a car full of dress-up clothing.

BTW: during my last trip to Goodwill to donate stuff I visited the men's clothing aisle. They had some nice-looking, virtually new suit/sports coats for about $15. So if I ever find myself needing something of the sort down the road, I'll know where to go.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:51 AM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I'm careful about my weight so I shouldn't
"grow out" of them.
I didn't "grow out" of anything; they shrank in the closet...

Never had to dress that formally for w*rk. I have one suit, two or three dress shirts, and a few sport coats. Rarely wear any if I can help it...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:56 AM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
Thanks for all the comments, based upon your experiences. Looks like I'll be making another trip to Goodwill with a car full of dress-up clothing.
+1

I've discovered all I needed after retiring was a funeral/wedding suit and one dress shirt. Although, I did have to attend an event where I needed a sport coat - and was able to find one at Goodwill (brand name, apparently never worn, still had the tags on it) for $9.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote