How's the water? One year out

One and a half years retired. The last time I woke up in the middle of the night with a work-related nightmare was months ago. (While working this was weekly or better.) I went from borderlike hypertension to today's 99/66 BP. I've lost 40 pounds from my peak.

The bad news is that I still haven't cleaned out the garage. I did start on it a couple days ago, though. When a two car garage reaches the point where a Miata won't fit, I clearly have too much stuff. I know there's no more room for my stuff anymore, but I don't want to get a bigger house, so I've gotta get rid of some of my stuff. I need a smaller version of my stuff. (Sorry, George)

W2R is taking notes to remind herself to check out the plant in her chosen retirement town.
(taking notes....) :LOL:
I think you just convinced W2R to have a septic tank. :ROFLMAO:
Not gonna happen... :) It's "top of the hill" for me! I'm a little touchy about flooding anyway so had already figured that would be best.

Last edited:
He gets pure enjoyment out of watching the news at 5 o'clock. He doesn't care so much about the news...he just wants to see the traffic report.

We still get enjoyment out of that. We're close enough to get the DC area stations on cable and especially during the first year watching the traffic reports was a major source of entertainment. How those poor slobs put up with that is beyond me. I turned down a six-figure job because it would have meant staying there.

DW went to DC yesterday to be with a friend during her surgery and upon arrival home said "I am SO glad we left that area!"

Not gonna happen... :) It's "top of the hill" for me! I'm a little touchy about flooding anyway so had already figured that would be best.
Did you want water pressure with that location?

We live next door to a sewage pumping station. Luckily it's downhill from us and there's a storm drain between it and our property. It's the best neighbor we've ever had.

I quit my job at the same time as CJ and my last official day at work was in July 09. However, I got sucked into helping them out as a consultant through until Feb when we relocated and that got me off the hook. So for me it has been 6 months since I officially performed any work that I received payment for. I have been hesitant to use the word retiree as I am not 100% certain at this time I will not work again. I thought earlier this year I might go back at the end of '09, but I know for sure that is not going to happen. Reason I was considering going back was for extra money as I was worried about the drop in our portfolio and our ages (47). However as the market has improved I am feeling a bit more relaxed.

I would have to say I never want to go back to work. I love the freedom of doing what I want when I want. I am never bored, I never have enough hours in the day to do the things I want to do. In all honesty as I was preparing dinner last night which probably took me a couple of hours, I reflected on how much I enjoyed cooking real food and how much I missed it in those years I was working. Not once have I woken up and thought gosh I wish I was at the Monday morning meeting listening to the blah blah blah.

Truthfully I think I would rather eat cat food than go back to work.

Truthfully I think I would rather eat cat food than go back to work.

I dunno... I have not tasted cat food, and you haven't either. So, let's reserve our judgement. :D

PS. We'll know we are in trouble when there is a thread discussing what brand is best. I know they are not the same, as my cat has a certain preference for a particular brand, and even a certain formulation. I don't think humans would be less choosy. :ROFLMAO:

Let's not get jumpy and start the "culinary" threads that I am afraid to see. :nonono:

I imagine that it would kinda taste like SPAM. Make it into a patty and deep fry it and it can't be that bad can it? Hmm my invention for the day - cat burger with catsup as W2R suggests.

NO WAY. I have had Spam, and don't know why it has such a bad reputation. My only problem with it is the high fat and sodium content.

Cat food, on the other hand, is, well, er, hmm... cat food. It smells like no human food. When opening the can, if I get some juice on my fingers, it is difficult to wash out the smell.

Cat food is definitely not Spam. Give me Spam, or give me death.

PS. No, change that to "Give me Spam or give me w*rk!".

.... The last time I woke up in the middle of the night with a work-related nightmare was months ago. (While working this was weekly or better....

I still enjoy the novelty of sleeping through the night, seven hours at a stretch is a luxury. If I get insomnia, it doesn't matter, I can sleep in or nap later.

-----

Yucky septic tanks, one year 100s of snakes congregated above it. Ah, country living.

------

I'd go with Fancy Feast, sliced varieties only.

I worked for the local municipality at the wastewater (sewage) plant in north-central Illinois. We had 25 pump stations scattered around town to get all the poo to the central plant. Some of the stations were built in the 50's, and some were brand new, and a bunch were somewhere in the middle. The oldest ones normally worked fine because they were built over-sized and could handle.

We actually have had one of the older sewage pumping stations you are talking about at the airport for most of the time I have been there. The County workers always maintained it most of the time I have worked there. But about 10 years ago it somehow got dumped on us. Just this past year (maybe 2008) they built a new one. Probably the just get by, do the job system you refer to. I haven't had to deal with the new one at all so far but did the old one once in a while. I guess I lucked out because I mainly do the airfield lighting maintenance. Which gives me enough trouble during storms.
Should be out of there completely (retired) by the end of this year if I can work out a good plan/option on health care.
Steve
PS. Should be right behind W2R? Dec. 17, 2009 is the 30 year on the job dated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still enjoy the novelty of sleeping through the night, seven hours at a stretch is a luxury. If I get insomnia, it doesn't matter, I can sleep in or nap later.

-----

Yucky septic tanks, one year 100s of snakes congregated above it. Ah, country living.

------

Can't wait to be in the postion where it doesn't matter if I sleep now or sleep later.
It is very tough when you know you need to be sleeping but can't.
Steve

-----

------

Have to agree with your insomnia quote, I also have sleep problems, however the positive is no pills needed because I don't have to try and focus on anything during the day and I can get up when I want.

Maybe I should start saving those coupons for cat food as there always seems to be plenty available. Fancy Feast sounds dead posh, throw in a bit of Rosemary to cover the smell and we are cooking with gas.

I ERed in April of this year when I shut down the business, and the "retirement water" is pretty good so far here in Texas. In fact, I was on the water today-- took the boat over to my little island shack to pick up the dirt bike and bring it back home. Met some dudes fixing up their cabin, and one of them used to buy cars from me. Small world. He runs a roofing company, but was helping out a friend with some cabin repairs in exchange for beer and fish. He said business sucks, btw.

My kids found a new MC track they want to try out, so the old man is going to give it a try with them. Hope I don't crash.
img_850033_0_c07990ce3e80738ff0186e38305901a0.jpg
img_850033_1_e21ad792a3d1bac0aac706959a2dd9dc.jpg

2 months into RE

FIRE is a great thing. I love it! So far so good except for a weight gain...it couldn't be the beer could it? No, No... bad thought. :nonono:

Officially 1 month for me. I do find that I'm drinking more. Hmmmm. Since I've always been a night owl, I find myself staying up later and later...which I HATE. Sleeping late makes me feel like I've wasted a day. I must not have the "Retiree Mindset" yet.

Since I've always been a night owl, I find myself staying up later and later...which I HATE. Sleeping late makes me feel like I've wasted a day. I must not have the "Retiree Mindset" yet.
Funny - sleep (especially naps) make me feel like I'm making the most of my day.

Oh, yeah... I'm still working.

Officially 1 month for me. I do find that I'm drinking more. Hmmmm. Since I've always been a night owl, I find myself staying up later and later...which I HATE. Sleeping late makes me feel like I've wasted a day. I must not have the "Retiree Mindset" yet.

The first few months I slept for incredible amounts . I figured it was the stress of forty years finally leaving . Eventually you do get into your own routine whatever it will be .

This is clearly your decompression phase. You will find your time niche.

I always hated getting up early pre-FIRE. Gee, I wonder why? :whistle:
Post-FIRE, I've turned into an early riser, mostly because I like to send the old man off with coffee and the proverbial waving handkerchief. ;)
I get up at 530 AM every day except Wed. :crazy:
Seriously...I love to watch the sun rise, along with smelling the fresh morning air and seeing the mist lingering over the open fields, plus the birdie orchestra at dawn. It is just beautiful.
I get the bulk of my daily tasks done between wakeup time and noon. My mind is sharper in the AM and feel like I am getting the most out of my day. Then I goof off...:D

Boy Freebird, you really are devoted to get up that early to see your man off.

In our house it is the opposite, DH gets up and gets ready for work and then brings me a cup of tea whilst I laze in bed. I haul my carcass out of bed to see him off at the front door and then take my time to have breakfast and lounge round in my jammies. Finally about 10.00 a.m. I wakeup and hit the gym we have set up in our garage for an hour. Back for a cup of tea, then have a shower. Then it is time to have lunch. So nothing happens in my household until 1.00 p.m., anything that has to be done gets done in the afternoon. If I can't be bothered doing anything nothing happens. You've got to love this not working lark.

Boy Freebird, you really are devoted to get up that early to see your man off.

In our house it is the opposite, DH gets up and gets ready for work and then brings me a cup of tea whilst I laze in bed. I haul my carcass out of bed to see him off at the front door and then take my time to have breakfast and lounge round in my jammies. Finally about 10.00 a.m. I wakeup and hit the gym we have set up in our garage for an hour. Back for a cup of tea, then have a shower. Then it is time to have lunch. So nothing happens in my household until 1.00 p.m., anything that has to be done gets done in the afternoon. If I can't be bothered doing anything nothing happens. You've got to love this not working lark.
"Devoted" :crazy: is one word for it. :LOL:
Many of my w*rking years occurred in a windowless building in a cube farm under fluorescent lights. Windows on the perimeter of the building were blocked (literally used concrete blocks) in the 70s to save energy. OK...:rolleyes:
It made for a very wierd experience, not seeing the passage of the day. In winter, I often went to w*rk in dim light and left w*rk in near darkness. :(
So I am very happy :D to see the normal progression of the day after all those years of deprivation.

The first few months I slept for incredible amounts . I figured it was the stress of forty years finally leaving . Eventually you do get into your own routine whatever it will be .

Took me awhile to find a routine too. After 3 years though, if anyone wants me to leave the house in the morning, I'm grumpy. That's breaking my routine.:nonono:

Back
Top Bottom