Votes: 7 5.6%
  • I didn’t watch Dune and won’t watch Dune 2

Votes: 22 17.6%
  • I didn’t watch Dune but might watch Dune 2

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I like bacon, or polls, or maybe this poll could be better worded

Votes: 11 8.8%

• Total voters
My son and I watched Dune 1 in the theaters and both really enjoyed it. Unless you have a fantastic TV/audio system, I think it is much better in theaters.

I re-watched it last night on Netflix to reacquaint myself with the plot and my son and I will see it in the theaters this week.

Sting was terrible in the original Dune, but I thought overall it was terrific with the big wide open desert scenes, the scary worms. It matched very much what I remembered reading.

The new Dune I was so dark you couldn’t see the worm!

IMAX showing for me. However, my local AMC multiplex isn’t scheduling shows before 3:00 PM on weekdays but is more than happy to schedule 11:00 PM showings during the week It boggles this retirees mind that they get any business that late as opposed to noonish. So I’ll wait a bit for crowds to die off a bit.

I feel like the movie is better at our Marcus UltraScreen DLX Dreamlounger than it is at our AMC IMAX... We used to have a massive IMAX at our zoo, but it closed down. The viewing experience there was EPIC!

For fans the wait is over, Dune Part 2 was released today. I’ll go watch it in the local cinema, it is definitely a “big screen” production.

Watching films in the threader has fallen out of favor for forum members and many others, and I wonder if this film is enough to get people pack in the theatre, at least for one film.
At 2h46m we'll wait to see it at home.

Three friends and I are going to see it in IMAX on Sunday night. Can't wait.

My butt on the other hand is dreading it.

I haven't watched Dune yet but I plan on it. I tried watching it the other night and kept falling asleep. I just need to start early enough in the evening. I might watch in 2 parts-depending.
I will watch Dune II-assuming I like Dune but not until I can watch at home.

I did not vote because there was no category for me. I don't eat pork. :)

At 2h46m we'll wait to see it at home.

It is long. Add another 15-20 minutes of commercials and trailers at the beginning and it’s over 3 hours. I’ll never make it that long, but I’m still going to see it on the big screen.

Closest choice for me was

"I didn’t watch Dune but might watch Dune 2"

But more complete wold be

"I didn't watch Dune, but I might watch it and Dune 2"

It is long. Add another 15-20 minutes of commercials and trailers at the beginning and it’s over 3 hours. I’ll never make it that long, but I’m still going to see it on the big screen.

Go to a theater with recliners... much easier to watch a long movie...

Well I thought it was pretty good. Maybe an 8 or 8.5 out of 10 ?

Some plot holes near the end and the conclusion felt a bit rushed but otherwise very, very good.

And the theatre was packed for our showing. In fact it got so hot in there it felt like you were on Arrakis.. lol

We used to parody Sting in my HS drama group. A blonde guy in our group used to just jump up and down in place maniacally shrieking "I will kill him!" and it was...representative of the silliness of the original, but I did like it.

I watched the new Dune1 streaming, and found it one of those typically dark and hard-to-hear films so common these days (no my sight and hearing are fine thank you). So at least I could pause, replay, and put on CC when needed!

My local Cinemark has $6 tuesdays, including the "fancy" style. But will probably wait for HBO to stream.

Perhaps - the "dark and hard-to-hear films" should be added to my pet peeves.

Just re-watched Dune 1 and will wait for 2 to come out on (cheap) streaming.
Even with my new hearing aids I still had to crank up the tv volume and still didn't get all of the dialogue. Especially the first half.
I might even re-read the books.

Just watched it in the theater. Three hours but could easily have watched another hour. Fabulous. Will probably go see it again in imax.

Just re-watched Dune 1 and will wait for 2 to come out on (cheap) streaming.
Even with my new hearing aids I still had to crank up the tv volume and still didn't get all of the dialogue. Especially the first half.
I might even re-read the books.

Turn on the closed-captions. That should help or maybe a decent sound bar.

Just watched it in the theater. Three hours but could easily have watched another hour. Fabulous. Will probably go see it again in imax.

Good to hear you liked it. My son is in Phoenix and he's a big movie buff and a Dune fan. However, he's held off on seeing it because he wants to see it in an uncrowded full-sized screen at an Imax theater.

I'm wondering about the "butt-kicker" seats they have in those AMC Dolby Cinema theaters. These theaters have Dolby Atmos audio systems, high-tech laser projectors and seats with rumble-like transducers that provide haptic feedback synched to the movie. Thus, you feel the explosions, you feel the sandworms plowing through the sand.

Good to hear you liked it. My son is in Phoenix and he's a big movie buff and a Dune fan. However, he's held off on seeing it because he wants to see it in an uncrowded full-sized screen at an Imax theater.

I'm wondering about the "butt-kicker" seats they have in those AMC Dolby Cinema theaters. These theaters have Dolby Atmos audio systems, high-tech laser projectors and seats with rumble-like transducers that provide haptic feedback synched to the movie. Thus, you feel the explosions, you feel the sandworms plowing through the sand.

I am going to add butt kickers to my own theater. I saw Dune 2 at the Marcus DLX dream lounger last night and it was LOUD! The guy next to me brought some noise cancelling headphones, although that might just be a millennial thing to walk around with the big headphones sort of like the guys that had the boombox on their shoulders in the 80s.

Great movie. I've seen all the Dune cinematic content, but have not read the books and maybe that is for the better or not on this not sure, but the movie itself was quite entertaining even though in a sense it was a re-make of the Dune TV series.

$10 for a large popcorn bucket though. Eeek. I paid $28 for the "refillable" bin and then each time you fill you need to also pay $5. So essentially you need to go to 5 movies and get popcorn before you pass break-even...which we do in 1 year.

I just realized if I drive up there and buy the tickets at the box office I can get a military discount at Marcus. It's basically like having Tuesday discounts any day of the week, but I have to plan ahaed a little and stop by the theater which is a minor inconvenience.

Anywho, back to the movie... worth the price of admission if you are a sci fi fan!

Background: I never read the book. When I saw Dune long long ago, it sucked.
Fast Forward: I watched the remake (Dune 1) at home streamed. I have a really good setup (audio wise) and thought the movie was very good.

So yesterday a friend and I saw Dune 2 at a local theatre. I go to very few movies at the theater. The worst part was 1/2 hour of advertisements and trailers for upcoming events. The best part is that Dune 2 was really great to see on a big screen and even the audio was great. Well worth seeing, especially in the theater. The last movie I saw with as great a sound track was Blade Runner II.

I saw it last Friday afternoon. Our preferred theater (with recliners) didn't have showtimes that worked for our group (5 of us)... so we went to another theater with stadium seating.

I enjoyed the movie and am really looking forward to part 3. But rumor has it that it won't be out till 2030...

Our theater was TOO loud. Hurt my ears. But better than too quiet.
Our theater was maybe 1/3 full. Probably because it was a 3pm showing.

I remember when you had to show up early if you wanted to see previews. Now the rule is it is ads prior to the previews... but previews typically start at the stated 'showtime'. Our previews didn't start till 5 minutes later. And there were 9 of them. (Our family, starting with my parents, has a game where we guess the number of previews... Used to be between 3-5... now everyone wants 8 or 9.)

I hope they greenlight Dune 3 soon... so it can be released while we're still young enough to enjoy it.

We're going to rewatch Dune I tonight, and then go see Dune II in a theater tomorrow (contrary to my poll vote). Debating if it's worth seeing on RPX or IMAX as some online sources have recommended.

I am disappointed to hear there's going to be a Dune III. Enough.

We're going to rewatch Dune I tonight, and then go see Dune II in a theater tomorrow (contrary to my poll vote). Debating if it's worth seeing on RPX or IMAX as some online sources have recommended.
IMAX or equivalent. Bigger screen, better video. 75 foot sand worm.

There are 6 books, so it’s no surprise another film is in the works. Whether to go or not depends a lot on how good this Dune 2 is.

?? The third movie will supposedly follow the plot of the second book, Dune Messiah since the first two movies completed the plot of the first book.

Dune 2 is playing at our local IMAX theater...have tickets to see it in a few hours. From the previews, IMAX seems like a great venue.

So we watched Dune 1 and 2, both great but I won’t say any more for fear of spoilers. We did see it in an RPX theater, much bigger screen/better sound and seats than standard, but not as big as an IMAX screen.

We remembered why we don’t go to movie theaters any more though. 32 minutes of ads and previews before the feature, that’s unacceptable to us. It was awfully loud as well. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom