Join Early Retirement Today

How's the water? One year out
Old 08-27-2009, 10:31 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

How's the water? One year out

This week I’ll change the year in my signature line from one to two. Of course the water’s fine, sometimes choppy and sometimes placid; the important things in life go on, whether I’m employed or not. Something happy has happened that I haven’t mentioned here yet--a few weeks ago I stopped taking pain meds. It’s a window of opportunity for me to get out there without worrying that my body isn’t up to a long walk.

I’ll try to keep this short and give just one story of what it means to be retired.

Yesterday, SO and I stopped at a park bench to catch some rays out of the wind. It is a business campus/park with formal landscaping that takes advantage of a spectacular view, lots of vibrant young people rushing back and forth wearing a dress code about two steps below “corporate casual.” Cool place to work. They looked like they were on the way to meetings, chatting in small groups, maybe had a conference going on.

We noticed some people going one way and then coming back, perhaps going to pick up coffee. By the time one of them came back from Starbucks, I had taken off my shoes, socks and jacket, jeans were rolled up to the knees, arms spread out, face tilted toward the sun, in other words, “retirement” was written all over us. We’re still laughing at what she said to us as she hurried by,
“I .. a m .. s o .. j e a l o u s.”

------

If you are retired, how's it going out there? And if you are looking forward to RE, go ahead and post about that.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2009, 10:38 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have only one comment:

I ... am ... so ... jealous.

:-)

Glad to hear it's going well!
Lusitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:51 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations on the one year anniversary of your retirement! Having gone through the worst of the Great Recession during your first year, it can only get better from here on out.

Oh, and yes... I .. a m .. s o .. j e a l o u s !!!! But before too long, it will be me.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:10 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Great post CJ! I'm so happy for you...

It's been six months since DH decided to hang it up. He gets pure enjoyment out of watching the news at 5 o'clock. He doesn't care so much about the news...he just wants to see the traffic report. Every time he watches it, he grins and says..."That's a shame."

He's received three job offers from "his" company that was chopping heads right and left a few months ago. The same company that made him get rid of 90% of his direct reports. This a.m. he got another job offer (a couple of months contract work) from a contact in MO. He graciously declined.

"Stuff" that money can buy used to be so important to him. It's not anymore.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:15 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
.. I had taken off my shoes, socks and jacket...
According to a long-ago post, didn't you do that in a park in Paris, back in the working days?

Come on, working folks! You can slow down and take time to smell the flowers too.

PS. Of course, it is easier said than done when the boss is breathing down your neck. FIREdreamer and some others can attest to that.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:46 AM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

I am going on three years of retirement . Of course the first year I was sucked back to a one day a week position so that did not really count . It has been an interesting journey . I first thought I had to accomplish something every day now I'm happy if I accomplish something once or twice a week . I'm cooking a lot more and the dishwasher gets full a lot more often .I have a regular gym routine going and have met a lot of nice funny women . I also take an occasional class especially a cooking class where you sip wine as you learn .I sell on ebay for fun & mad money and slowly but surely my home projects are getting done . I like life at this pace and have no interest in being dragged back into the hectic world of medicine .So as Cuppa Joe said " The water is fine "
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:52 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post

Yesterday, SO and I stopped at a park bench to catch some rays out of the wind. It is a business campus/park with formal landscaping that takes advantage of a spectacular view, lots of vibrant young people rushing back and forth wearing a dress code about two steps below “corporate casual.” Cool place to work. They looked like they were on the way to meetings, chatting in small groups, maybe had a conference going on.

We noticed some people going one way and then coming back, perhaps going to pick up coffee. By the time one of them came back from Starbucks, I had taken off my shoes, socks and jacket, jeans were rolled up to the knees, arms spread out, face tilted toward the sun, in other words, “retirement” was written all over us. We’re still laughing at what she said to us as she hurried by,
“I .. a m .. s o .. j e a l o u s.”
You suck Cuppa! Darn you for teasing the working folk like that!

Remember you'll need us to pay for your SS and Medicare, mwa ha ha...
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:53 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
According to a long-ago post, didn't you do that in a park in Paris, back in the working days?

“Plus ça change”? OMG, I’m shocked to think that anyone reads my posts.

One issue I’m struggling with enjoying is: do I really want to do the things I did when escaping from work briefly? Some yes, some no, comme si comme ça, what do I want to do today is evolving.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:57 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Being a Francophile, I tend to remember posts that mentioned France.

Pat myself on the back for a good memory... Dementia is warded off for a little longer...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-27-2009, 12:30 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I am at 10 months,, so far so good.
But the ER paychecks stop at the end of october.
Old Mike
mf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:55 PM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Almost to 5 years. Never regretted it.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:20 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

About a year and a half for me. Like bbbamI's DH, I like listening to the traffic reports.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:29 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

About 2 1/2 years for me now....NO regrets at all!!! I absolutely LOVE the retired life....I think God designed me especially for it!!! Each day thus far, has been the best day of my life!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
It's been six months since DH decided to hang it up. He gets pure enjoyment out of watching the news at 5 o'clock. He doesn't care so much about the news...he just wants to see the traffic report. Every time he watches it, he grins and says..."That's a shame."
When I was still employed, my commute was only 2 miles across town, so traffic reports don't bring much of chuckle to me....HOWEVER.....every time it's rainy or there's a thunderstorm at night I laugh out loud 'cause I KNOW that my former coworkers are getting called in to work!!!! I don't miss working on pump station control panels, standing out in the pouring rain with the lightning and thunder crashing all around me in the middle of the night!!!

As a little kid, I used to LOVE thunderstorms, but as I grew up got older and started working, I started hating them because of the call-outs. But now, just as when I was a little kid, I LOVE thunderstorms again!!! (especially since I now can laugh at my former coworkers misery during them!)
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:34 PM   #14

Commenting on the Thunderstorms. Grew up in the Midwest and loved them. How disappointing coming out to CA. In my area I get maybe 1 eveyr 2 years. I miss the rumble and bang! Ok thats it...
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:51 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Goonie
Pumping stations?
Where are you from and what did you do?
Sounds like Na leans or something?
I had thunder storms this morning at work and also after I got home.
I get my share of problems and call outs from storms.
I do electrical work for an airport.
Storms give us plenty problems. Knocking out runway lighting and such.
Steve
PS. We too have a few pumping stations to control flash floods around the airport but probably nothing like you are referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
About 2 1/2 years for me now....NO regrets at all!!! I absolutely LOVE the retired life....I think God designed me especially for it!!! Each day thus far, has been the best day of my life!!!

When I was still employed, my commute was only 2 miles across town, so traffic reports don't bring much of chuckle to me....HOWEVER.....every time it's rainy or there's a thunderstorm at night I laugh out loud 'cause I KNOW that my former coworkers are getting called in to work!!!! I don't miss working on pump station control panels, standing out in the pouring rain with the lightning and thunder crashing all around me in the middle of the night!!!

As a little kid, I used to LOVE thunderstorms, but as I grew up got older and started working, I started hating them because of the call-outs. But now, just as when I was a little kid, I LOVE thunderstorms again!!! (especially since I now can laugh at my former coworkers misery during them!)
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:00 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Come on, working folks! You can slow down and take time to smell the flowers too.
Not too slow......they might get a whiff of our bare feet.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:07 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

How is the water? After 4+ years, it's like this:

Old 08-27-2009, 07:15 PM   #18

I--am--so--jealous!! Why? Because I wish I was just reaching retirement age and could do it all over again. Retired 5-1-88 and enjoying every minute of it. That's over 21 years of being retired. Be careful what you ask for. In my situation, like I said, I have enjoyed every minute but you feel like your life is sliping away. Every birthday comes sooner and every Christmas arrives quicker. When I retired, my grandsons were just being born. Now they have finished college. Life and time is so precious. Don't wish it away.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:49 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been retired for a little over 4 years and I couldn't be happier. I sometimes have a flashback to some of the garbage that I dealt with in the work force and shudder. Somehow I made it thru the maze and life is very good on the other side. I tell my old co-workers that I wouldn't have gripped so much about the job during my working years if I had known how great the retirement would be. I am thankful that I am healthy and at this stage of life. I don't worry about much and I stay really busy doing exactly what I want to do. Life is pretty sweet!
Cruisinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:57 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
How is the water? After 4+ years, it's like this:
The landing is at T=15 sec. I wonder at what phase each of us thinks he/she is right now? I can't say it is a sure thing for myself yet. I am more like in the airborne phase, T=13 sec And you need to land in the kiddie pool to even know the water temperature.