I guess I joined the Stent Club

Kitty

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi All;
It has been a week now since I joined the dubious club of those who have had stents placed in their heart arteries. I was wasn't feeling well for a few weeks and having had angioplasty before feared that things had gotten worse. After consulting a local Dr I was immediately sent to the ER for tests! :eek:
A week later I had another ER visit and the end result was that two sents were placed in my heart to take care of two blocks one at 80% and the other at 70%. Not what I wanted to hear. The procedure went well, as you can see I am able to communicate so I didn't have complications (yet).

I am pleased this remedy is available and unsettled that it happened. I guess I was in denial about my health, a common problem many people have. Denying that you have a health problem doesn't make it go away.

I have made some serious changes in my diet and look forward to losing as much weight as I can safely.

How many of you have joined this club? What are your experiences and what have you done about controling heart disease? Since I have had this procedure done I have met or talked to many people who have had it done to them and not always in their heart! Is there something going on that so many people would need this done?

Kitty

Wow, Kitty -- I'm glad it went well. You sure look healthy in your photos; I'm sure that your new healthy lifestyle will prevent further problems.

What do the Amish make stents with? ;)

TromboneAl said:
Wow, Kitty -- I'm glad it went well. You sure look healthy in your photos; I'm sure that your new healthy lifestyle will prevent further problems.

What do the Amish make stents with? ;)

Gee, I don't know :confused: I guess I will have to ask them, ::)

Yes, I have always been very active and think nothing of working hard physicaly. I guess I will again provided I don't have any problems

Kitty

Kitty said:
Gee, I don't know :confused: I guess I will have to ask them, ::)

Yes, I have always been very active and think nothing of working hard physicaly. I guess I will again provided I don't have any problems

Kitty

Glad you are doing well. I'm drinking some red wine right now in an attempt to have a healthier heart. :D

Kitty - Sorry to hear about your stents. I hope you're feeling better.

Several years ago my younger brother had a stent put in. He was only 38 at the time. And he was thin and walked and rode his bike all the time. But his diet wasn't so great, he really loved his meat and cheese, and he smoked too. Still does, but he seems to be doing OK.

Fortunately I have not had the same problems. But with heart disease in my family, I take statins, try to get my exercise, and I am losing some excess weight.

Take care. I am sure you will be running around before you know it. Eat those fruits, nuts, and veggies!

Kitty - it is important to keep the cholesteral and triglycerides down. For me that means medications. The new drug eluding stents are much more effective than the older bare metal versions. Diet, activity, medications and stress reduction all play a role in staying healthy. Good luck.

Not too ?

Diet, activity, medications and stress reduction all play a role in staying healthy.

FIRE can get you three of the four above. Really get into your new lifestyle...I'll bet it will make you feel great!

BTW, my wife just went to work for the one of the large maker of stents, Medtronic. Business for them is great (I'm sorry to say).

scrinch said:
FIRE can get you three of the four above. Really get into your new lifestyle...I'll bet it will make you feel great!

BTW, my wife just went to work for the one of the large maker of stents, Medtronic. Business for them is great (I'm sorry to say).

I was astounded to find that so many stents are now implanted on a frequent basis not only in the heart but other arteries like the neck and groin.

What has happened to us? When did we begin needing this kind of intervention and why are these conditions so common?

Kitty

Kitty said:
I was astounded to find that so many stents are now implanted on a frequent basis not only in the heart but other arteries like the neck and groin.

What has happened to us? When did we begin needing this kind of intervention and why are these conditions so common?

Genes, lifestyle, diet, fitness, stress, longer life spans. Probably also artifact due to folks talking about it more frequently. Perhaps too many being done with marginal benefit in some cases. Too many questionable tests being done yielding false positive results (or detection of mild disease which might never have become problematic).

I have lived through many fancy trends in medicine, and many claims of causation which have fallen by the wayside. This is why I chose to make evidence-based medicine my career focus; it generates a cautious approach to accepting new evidence, while at the same time providing cautious "Bayesian" confidence in the "good evidence" -- makes you believe in the probabilties, not guaranteed results for any individual.

Just glad you got what you needed in a timely manner. Now get back to work ;).

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Genes, lifestyle, diet, fitness, stress, longer life spans. Probably also artifact due to folks talking about it more frequently. Perhaps too many being done with marginal benefit in some cases. Too many questionable tests being done yielding false positive results (or detection of mild disease which might never have become problematic).

I have lived through many fancy trends in medicine, and many claims of causation which have fallen by the wayside. This is why I chose to make evidence-based medicine my career focus; it generates a cautious approach to accepting new evidence, while at the same time providing cautious "Bayesian" confidence in the "good evidence" -- makes you believe in the probabilties, not guaranteed results for any individual.

Just glad you got what you needed in a timely manner. Now get back to work ;).

I think you are right. Also there are lots $$$ in them thar metal thingies each one costs about $2500 wow .... that's a lot for a fancy spring

I will be back to normal activity as soon as I get the okay from my DR.
And I am looking forward to getting some things done around here, can't coast for ever :D

Kitty

Kitty said:
Also there are lots $$$ in them thar metal thingies each one costs about $2500 wow .... that's a lot for a fancy spring

The manufacturers have to pad their coffers for the inevitable personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits that they will have to defend.

Kitty, glad to hear you are doing well. I have your Oak Spring Farm on my favorites list.

I'm not in the Stent Club but I do a lot of exercise. Would really encourage you to *gradually* start an exercise program that involves some aerobic conditioning. The key is to not ramp up too fast. We have an Airdyne (stationary) bike which I've used in the winter although here in California I prefer running. The nice thing about the Airdyne is that it gets its resistence from the fan on the wheel which means the air circulation is a good constant for the calibration. Downside in cold climates is it creates a draft for the exerciser but it's great when you are getting hot which should be the case for a good workout. Another downside is that exercise bikes are boring although playing music can help.

My wife does a lot of dog walking, probably 3-4 miles a day. I know this might be hard out in the country and especially in snowy winter conditions.

Wish you well!

Les

Thanks everybody, this bump in the road was scary, I think I will do fine. I had good (real good) neighbors who took care of me and my farm while I was in the hospital. Everyone I came in contact with was kind, concerned for my wealfare and helpful. My neighbors took me to the ER and took care of my farm animals, The ER Dr emailed my sister and filled her in on what was happening, the EMTs were proffesional, and caring, the Nurses and Drs were doing their best to keep me comfortable, informed, and calm. I really felt taken care of and that is the best you can hope for.

I will be making some changes in my diet and my exercise program lots of walks at first. Got to lose weight, already lost twelve pounds, I guess it got scared off of me :D

Now to make the changes stick.

Kitty

Glad to hear you are doing well Kitty. Your Oak Spring Farm site is wonderful. I sent it to both my children.
Best wishes.

Poundkey

Glad to hear things went well for you and that you have wonderful people around you that are caring.

Wow Kitty - consider yourself lucky that these blockages were found when you were only 70% and 80% blocked. Most people I hear of are more in the 95%+ range.

Hope you are healing fast and able to return to an active life quickly.

Audrey

P.S. and $2500 for a spring doesn't seem so bad when I consider my MILs $17,000 retail chemo bill for one (day) session!

audreyh1 said:
Wow Kitty - consider yourself lucky that these blockages were found when you were only 70% and 80% blocked. Most people I hear of are more in the 95%+ range.

Hope you are healing fast and able to return to an active life quickly.

Audrey

P.S. and $2500 for a spring doesn't seem so bad when I consider my MILs $17,000 retail chemo bill for one (day) session!

Wow, she says in a low quiet voice :eek:

I hope all goes well with you also :)

Take care

Kitty

Kitty...

I had 2 stents put in 9/1...and like you, am doing fine. I consider myself lucky that my primary care guy noticed the odd EKG in my annual physical stress test and sent me to a cardiologist, who did a fancier stress test.

After the 'procedure', the cardiologist increased my aspirin from 81 mg (baby aspirin) to a full one each day...and put me on daily Plavix. My primary care guy increased my pravachol from 40mg to 80mg.

He also told me that the first 6 months were key to whether or not you will have any clotting...which can lead to strokes...but that plavix and the other prescription changes minimize that.

I did change my diet a bit more (I'm diabetic, so can't eat much anyway), eliminating salt and switching to low sodium stuff. I dropped 5 pounds quickly, even tho the diabetic diet had caused a significant reduction in my weight anyway.

I had been exercising daily anyway, which I suspect helped.

I suspect also that this was payback for a misspent youth.

All the best...pp

pfpelican said:
Kitty...

I had 2 stents put in 9/1...and like you, am doing fine. I consider myself lucky that my primary care guy noticed the odd EKG in my annual physical stress test and sent me to a cardiologist, who did a fancier stress test.

After the 'procedure', the cardiologist increased my aspirin from 81 mg (baby aspirin) to a full one each day...and put me on daily Plavix. My primary care guy increased my pravachol from 40mg to 80mg.

He also told me that the first 6 months were key to whether or not you will have any clotting...which can lead to strokes...but that plavix and the other prescription changes minimize that.

I did change my diet a bit more (I'm diabetic, so can't eat much anyway), eliminating salt and switching to low sodium stuff. I dropped 5 pounds quickly, even tho the diabetic diet had caused a significant reduction in my weight anyway.

I had been exercising daily anyway, which I suspect helped.

I suspect also that this was payback for a misspent youth.

All the best...pp

All of that is familiar, I am on plavix, lipitor 40mg, adult asprin, altace and one other I forget, that's a lot of pills to take, but I'm taking them.

My previous sins are catching up to me working a high stress job, bad, bad eating habits not enough rest, worked way to many hours, for way to many years. And a fast food diet lots of fried this and that lucky things weren't worse.

I hope the meds and the changes do the job and keep me out of trouble from now on got lots of things to do.

Kitty

Glad to hear that things are going well for you. I love reading your blog and admire all the hard work that you do. Don't forget to take time to smell the roses. Best wishes with everything!

Back
Top Bottom