Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-26-2010, 08:31 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wow, 6 months already! How time flies!

Not meaning to scare you or anything, but I hate it when time goes by so fast. Please, please, make each day go slower. And I don't even care if it is a working day for me or not. Oh please!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2010, 08:39 PM   #42
Administrator

I know! Time flies when we're having fun.

It's amazing how busy I have been as a retiree. There is so much fun to be had, that I can hardly squeeze in tme for all of it.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:40 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

I'm still kinda haunted by my workplace memories. Know I'll get over it eventually with a little help from my friends.

OK, this sure seems like an excuse for a you tube vid. This one always makes me feel really fine:

Old 04-27-2010, 08:48 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just spent Friday and Saturday with a former co-worker. We were on a bus trip, so had plenty of time to talk. I am so very thankful that I was able to retire early from that job. I truly do not think that I could do the job, the way they want it done now.

My husband separates from his job, hopefully, on Oct 1, 2010. He definitely will no longer be an employee effective 11/30/2010. His company has stated there will not be any prefilling of jobs. He is worried about this and says that he needs to be able to train his replacement. I told him that I only had 3 words for him: Not your problem. He would add something else and I would just repeat, Not your problem.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Wow, 6 months already! How time flies!

Not meaning to scare you or anything, but I hate it when time goes by so fast. Please, please, make each day go slower. And I don't even care if it is a working day for me or not. Oh please!
I thought when I retired that the days would go by slower. Wrong again!
Old 04-28-2010, 11:28 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I know! Time flies when we're having fun.

It's amazing how busy I have been as a retiree. There is so much fun to be had, that I can hardly squeeze in tme for all of it.
Yes WTR just wait until it has been 8 years like me! Yesterday I went through the pictures since then remembering the cruises and the driving trips. Boy what a lot of good experiences in a short time.

I don't get to read about the old job in the paper though so it is out of sight and out of mind! One of the guys that I mentor sometimes reminds me of the issues but not so much anymore because he handles them all without my help now.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:04 PM   #47
Administrator

I have had so much fun in the almost half a year that I have been retired! These have been wonderful months for me. Even better, is knowing that I have a lifetime of fun ahead.

Up to now, the only news stories pertaining to my work had nothing to do with crises but just indicated that my former co-workers were going to encounter an avalanche of additional work of a more tedious nature. So, I could just thumb my nose at them and be even happier that I am retired.

But this time I sometimes I briefly feel guilty for "deserting the team" when I read news stories on the recent crisis. It's not as though I could DO anything about it, but I briefly feel as though I have a moral obligation to be there to provide requested information to the decision makers. But I really don't have that obligation any more. I left my job in very capable hands and gave a huge amount of notice when I left and clear training and both verbal and written instructions to all. That's their job now. It's not as though I can't be replaced.

I just hope they don't let me the decision makers anybody down.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-29-2010, 01:17 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Yes W2R I had three of those transitions between 1992 an 2002. The first was staying on 3 extra months to ensure a seamless transiton, the second was going back and picking up the pieces for 14 months after a transition had already taken place (unsuccessfully) and the third was having my successor trained and just giving them 5 weeks to manage the news.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:47 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
So, how many?

On May 9th, I will have been retired for half a year. Hard to believe! If life is the cake, retirement is the frosting... so sweet.
About 2000

Or maybe 1700 if everything goes right

Oh no! 2000 is a lot of days
Old 04-29-2010, 10:07 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

2000 days to ER!

Audrey
Old 04-29-2010, 10:10 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

It's 2000 days to R!
Old 04-29-2010, 11:44 PM   #52
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
About 2000

Or maybe 1700 if everything goes right

Oh no! 2000 is a lot of days
I started counting at about 2650 days (or was it 2450? I think 2650. This is one for the forgetfulness thread).

Anyway, I kept that count only in my financial and retirement Excel file. It seems long at first, but it really speeds up once you get down into the triple digits.

- - H. Melville, 1851