Insurance

TomJoMO

Confused about dryer sheets
What are people paying for health insurance while they're waiting for Medicaid.

I am with BlueCross/BlueShield with a family of 4 in Iowa.  It has a high deductable of 2600/5200 with a 500.00 allowance per person for prevenative care.  We pay 308 per month. I don't think anyone on this board is waiting for medicade  ;).  (I think you are referring to medicare.)

That $308 looks cheap to me, even with the high
deductible.

JG

The answers to this questions are going to be all over the board that they probably are not going to be too helpful. What state do you live in? Are you insurable? How old are you? How many are you insuring? Do you have a group plan available or do you need to buy individual insurance?

I am fortunate; have TRICARE. Cost for a year is less than most pay a month. :D

The answers to this questions are going to be all over  the board that they probably are not going to be too helpful.  What state do you live in?  Are you insurable?  How old are you?  How many are you insuring?  Do you have a group plan available or do you need to buy individual insurance?  
Martha's right. Trying to compare even insurance policy coverage from plan to plan and from company to company is like comparing apples to Volkswagons. Then throw in the the State to State differences, differences in current health situation, and age . . . and you end up with a huge range of insurance premiums.

Having said all that, here are our numbers:

DW and I - age 49 & 50,
healthy, non-smokers, not obese,
$1750 per person deductible on medical services,
$500 prescription drug deductible (separate from $1750)
80% coverage after deductible,
$10 to $30 copay on drugs after deductible,
~$10,000 max out of pocket per year,
Arizona
premium: $317/month

Originally (just over 1 year ago) we started this coverage with a $1000 per person deductible and were paying $310/ month. After 1 year, without a single claim, we increased our deductible to the current value to keep premiums from increasing dramatically. :'(

DH and I are in the middle of setting up a Health Savings Account since he is retiring in 3 months.

Our plan looks like this:

We're 50 and 53
Non-smokers, very healthy, no meds
$4000 family deductible
100% coverage "in-plan" after deduct.
70% coverage "out-of-plan" after deduct.
One annual exam each year per person. (no deduct.)
$354 a month premium
$6000 max. out of pocket "in-plan"
$12000 max. out of pocket "out-of-plan"
Wisconsin

I don't see where we'll use "out-of-plan" much unless we're travelling and can't use an "in-plan" participator.

DH and I are 44, 45 - been retired for 1 year.

healthy, not overweight
both on high cholesterol and high blood pressure meds (that we buy outright)
$5,000 deductible
$10,000 maximum out of pocket per year
no drug coverage
$3M maximum
$193 per month for both, went up from $162 last year.

Just switched from an area HMO to BCBS (the Blues)our state is NY :p which is not insurance friendly....in fact insurance hostile. Our annual premiums went from 8800/yr to 5700/yr

2 adults 51 y/o
1000 ded
80% UCR
group rate

Just switched from an area HMO to BCBS (the Blues)our state is NY :p which is not insurance friendly....in fact insurance hostile. Our annual premiums went from 8800/yr to 5700/yr

2 adults 51 y/o
1000 ded
80% UCR
group rate

Hi BUM,

I'm living in NY as well and you are right. $5700 for 2 people is cheap. How did you qualify for a group rate?

What is the plan name? Is it a PPO plan?

MJ

MJ,

Wife and I own a small biz. For years we paid hi premiums for a frilly policy. Post ER thats gotta go. DW is worried about the deductable. No biggie...one hopes

BUM

Back
Top Bottom