Ireland

JakeinChina

Recycles dryer sheets
Anyone have any further info for American's ( or Canadians) and changes to Ireland's long term residency or retirement requirements? I know Leo the Prime Minister met with Trump on St Paddy's Day in Washington and they discussed a possible new visa deal since the U.S. has a number of (10k to 50k) Irish living in the U.S. illegally.

Right now, the financial requirements to retire in Ireland as a Non-EU national (which includes Americans and Canadians) are high and rather difficult to prove. Long term residency for Americans right now is very difficult, and it appears Ireland is only welcoming the wealthy to gain permanent residency.

I know they have an investor visa which is invest in 1 mill Euro's, and you must have a net worth of at least 2 mill Euro's, but the acceptance rate is not very high even if you meet the requirements.

Any changes or updates on anything related to American's looking for long term residency in Ireland? Perhaps its too early and both governments need more time to create a deal.

I should have filed for Irish citizenship years ago so I could snag an EU passport. A couple of my grand parents came over which qualifies me. If I had done it in my 20s or 30s DW and the kids would be grandfathered in as well but that benefit was dropped some time ago.

I have never tried it, but if I really wanted to know, I would certainly try the Embassy of Ireland in Washington D.C. Phone is 202-462-3939. They could probably answer your questions or guide you where to find out.

I have been watching this too, there was an outcry to the Ireland government over the changes they made in 2015 that added the income requirements and other stuff. A petition was signed and sent in they also took comments from the public on the issue and are expected to change some stuff later this year. You can go to the Ireland Department of Justice and Equity and do a search on Retiree and Stamp 0 and reads some of the parliamentary questions on the subject too. I am hoping they change it soon too.

I have been watching this too, there was an outcry to the Ireland government over the changes they made in 2015 that added the income requirements and other stuff. A petition was signed and sent in they also took comments from the public on the issue and are expected to change some stuff later this year. You can go to the Ireland Department of Justice and Equity and do a search on Retiree and Stamp 0 and reads some of the parliamentary questions on the subject too. I am hoping they change it soon too.

Yeah, that's basically the same info I have. I've read a couple of cases of single American older ladies living in Ireland and appealing their deportation letters they received from the government. I assume in 2015 Ireland knew they needed to take in refugees from other parts of the world and wanted to limit the non-EU nationals, of course except for the wealthy ones.

I've been trying to search each week for more updates but I guess we need to wait and see. Its certainly not a fair policy for North Americans wanting to live long term in Ireland. I'm hoping they allow Stamp 0 to be a way to eventually earn permenant residencey, esp if you live full time in Ireland, and have proof of necessary funds to live there. We'll see what changes they make.

I'm curious - what advantages (other than Guinness, if you like it) attach to living in Ireland?

I'm the daughter of an Irish immigrant, and as far as I know, none of my siblings or cousins ever considered Irish dual citizenship or long-term residence. For one thing, there's the weather. :D

Anyone have any further info for American's ( or Canadians) and changes to Ireland's long term residency or retirement requirements? I know Leo the Prime Minister met with Trump on St Paddy's Day in Washington and they discussed a possible new visa deal since the U.S. has a number of (10k to 50k) Irish living in the U.S. illegally.

Right now, the financial requirements to retire in Ireland as a Non-EU national (which includes Americans and Canadians) are high and rather difficult to prove. Long term residency for Americans right now is very difficult, and it appears Ireland is only welcoming the wealthy to gain permanent residency.

I know they have an investor visa which is invest in 1 mill Euro's, and you must have a net worth of at least 2 mill Euro's, but the acceptance rate is not very high even if you meet the requirements.

Any changes or updates on anything related to American's looking for long term residency in Ireland? Perhaps its too early and both governments need more time to create a deal.

Yeah, that's basically the same info I have. I've read a couple of cases of single American older ladies living in Ireland and appealing their deportation letters they received from the government. I assume in 2015 Ireland knew they needed to take in refugees from other parts of the world and wanted to limit the non-EU nationals, of course except for the wealthy ones.

I've been trying to search each week for more updates but I guess we need to wait and see. Its certainly not a fair policy for North Americans wanting to live long term in Ireland. I'm hoping they allow Stamp 0 to be a way to eventually earn permenant residencey, esp if you live full time in Ireland, and have proof of necessary funds to live there. We'll see what changes they make.

Irish politicians are promoting a plan to import 1 million migrants by 2040. They are calling it 'Project Ireland 2040'. Not sure if Americans are allowed to participate in the plan by migrating to Ireland, however.

I'm curious - what advantages (other than Guinness, if you like it) attach to living in Ireland?

I'm the daughter of an Irish immigrant, and as far as I know, none of my siblings or cousins ever considered Irish dual citizenship or long-term residence. For one thing, there's the weather. :D
Me too. I was born and raised here, and I'm here right now taking care of mom and I can't wait to get outta here! 😀. And yes it's the weather!

What if you have Irish descendants and family members? At one time, that was (I believe) adequate to be able to get a (permanent?) green light to immigrate and live there.

I'm half Irish, and have the ancestry to prove it. Have always thought about retiring on the W. Coast of Ireland - beautiful place, set back in time at least 50 years.

"By descent" citizenship gets you access to the whole European Union and the UK through the Common Travel Area. No brainer if you are eligible.

"Access" means - no passport/visa/etc. needed? If so, odd I never knew that, having lived in the UK for 3 years on the U.S. Govt's behalf. I'm sure I wasn't the only first-gen American in my circuit, but nobody mentioned "access."

"By descent" citizenship gets you access to the whole European Union and the UK through the Common Travel Area. No brainer if you are eligible.

"Access" means - no passport/visa/etc. needed? If so, odd I never knew that, having lived in the UK for 3 years on the U.S. Govt's behalf. I'm sure I wasn't the only first-gen American in my circuit, but nobody mentioned "access."
Republic of Ireland is part of the EU. So you can live, work, retire to anywhere in the EU, visa free. Some EU countries require a registration at 3 months and proof of self sufficiency. Perhaps access wasn't the best word.

Even after Brexit, Ireland and the UK are part of the common travel area, which pre-dates the EU.

I’m guessing your 3 years in the UK were on your US passport with a work visa?

We first visited Ireland via ferry to Rosslaire in 1978 from England and no passport was required even though we had them with us. The previous year some good friends of ours made the same trip and while waiting in line to board the ferry the husband says to his wife “Do you have the passports?” to which his wife replied no. “I told you to put them somewhere safe!”. “So I put them in the attic with the other valuables”, says she. They had no trouble boarding.

In 2011 we had gone to Ireland and then met our daughter and her husband in Cork for a few days. We then flew from Cork to Manchester and it was to the domestic terminal, no passport control. Our daughter and her DH were amazed that entry into Ireland on their US passports gave them access to the UK without further checks.

Some friends of mine went to Europe for a year and traveled all over. They spent a month in Ireland but said it was like the Spanish Inquisition to get in for that month.

Some friends of mine went to Europe for a year and traveled all over. They spent a month in Ireland but said it was like the Spanish Inquisition to get in for that month.

For a great many countries including the USA then no visa is required to go there as a tourist for up to 90 days.

Check if you need a visa

Or are they saying that they were questioned extensively at the border? That can happen with any country. The longest and most thorough questioning I ever had was entering Canada once (I’ve been to Canada several times). I was on a business trip and had visited England, then The Netherlands and had flown to Toronto from Amsterdam to attend a conference. I had to produce documents on the conference to show I was telling the truth.

I think for many of us with Irish roots born in North America, there is a big interest in Ireland and living there. I certainly understand the challenges of living in Ireland and that its not all this perfect utopia of hanging out with your new Irish friends in pubs and strolling the green lush countryside everyday.

I also feel the simplicity of Ireland and the fact that it in many ways is more traditional and simple, is appealing to some.

Republic of Ireland is part of the EU. So you can live, work, retire to anywhere in the EU, visa free. Some EU countries require a registration at 3 months and proof of self sufficiency. Perhaps access wasn't the best word.

Even after Brexit, Ireland and the UK are part of the common travel area, which pre-dates the EU.
And because Ireland and UK are party of the CTA, Ireland is not part of the Schengen agreement, so you do need a passport to go to all the other EU countries. But with Ryanair that's super cheap.

Lots of links out there on why to move to Ireland like these:

http://www.expatarrivals.com/ireland/pros-and-cons-of-moving-to-ireland

https://wanderwisdom.com/travel-destinations/10-Reasons-You-Should-Move-to-Ireland

To me the benefit always seemed to be an EU passport. I thought that would allow you to live and work anywhere in the EU - not just Ireland. If you had dreams of moving to a little town in Italy or France, your dual citizenship would pave the way. But, bmcgonig just pointed out that Ireland is not under the Schengen agreement so I guess the Irish passport is not such a valuable ticket.

Last edited:
To me the benefit always seemed to be an EU passport. I thought that would allow you to live and work anywhere in the EU - not just Ireland. If you had dreams of moving to a little town in Italy or France, your dual citizenship would pave the way. But, bmcgonig just pointed out that Ireland is not under the Schengen agreement so I guess the Irish passport is not such a valuable ticket.
It's not very clear I think, but you are correct, you can work and live in any EU country. Seems that you just need to carry your passport if you're not part of Schengen and you're entering from outside. Once you're inside the Schengen area you never need your passport.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e..._abroad/working_abroad/working_in_the_eu.html

"As a European Union (EU) citizen, you have the right to live and work in any other EU country. If you are an EU national or a dependant of such a national and you meet the requirements of the EU Directives on free movement of workers, you may not, in general, be refused permission to land in another EU country. You may require a valid identity card or passport."

It's not very clear I think, but you are correct, you can work and live in any EU country. Seems that you just need to carry your passport if you're not part of Schengen and you're entering from outside. Once you're inside the Schengen area you never need your passport.

Working in the EU

"As a European Union (EU) citizen, you have the right to live and work in any other EU country. If you are an EU national or a dependant of such a national and you meet the requirements of the EU Directives on free movement of workers, you may not, in general, be refused permission to land in another EU country. You may require a valid identity card or passport."
Thanks. Still valuable I guess but I'm too lazy to dig up the documentation.

Just a note of caution: I was travelling from Austria to Germany in January 2018. We were stopped at the border in a random check and needed passports, drivers license, rental car papers, etc. I don't suggest you cross borders in Europe without a passport.

Just a note of caution: I was travelling from Austria to Germany in January 2018. We were stopped at the border in a random check and needed passports, drivers license, rental car papers, etc. I don't suggest you cross borders in Europe without a passport.

Good advice, you can always be subject to a passport check even without leaving the country you are in. We have had to show our passports 3 times while never leaving the USA. Twice on driving trips to Big Bend National Park and once in 2015 while driving on I-10 to California from Houston. (They diverted the whole of the westbound I-10 traffic to a border control checkpoint).

You are confusing a border control agreement with the separate rights of EU citizens. To travel from Ireland to a Schengen country you need to show your passport to show that you are an EU citizen (and not from somewhere else) to gain access. Your rights as an EU citizen is separate. You have the right to live and work in any EU country, including all Schengen.

As one of (I guess) the few on here who actually live in Ireland ... I cannot imagine why anyone would want to retire to here ?

Weather weather .... and weather , would be the main reason.
Having lived for 5 + years in a warm climate (India and Brazil) ... my preference would be for somewhere drier !!

I started doing a garden project last August ... planned for about two weeks work. Got one of them done , ground has not been dry enough since to get the 2nd week completed ... think about that !

Usual story ... if you live somewhere cold ... you will "dream" about living somewhere warm , and visa versa , and wet vs dry ... and and and.....

Answer : ? Spend part of the yr in A and part in B.

Back
Top Bottom