Is your spouse, partner, etc, happier with you since retirement?

Yes, when we have to make huge purchases like property which was why we bought our dream retirement home (at least our home for some time to come) before I ER. I think he misses my paycheck now because any further huge purchases (like property for rental) will be borne entirely by him.

I think he misses my paycheck now because any further huge purchases (like property for rental) will be borne entirely by him.
That's the difference in situations. Being "old fashoned", I never expected DW to give me "her money" and paid (and still do) for all major/minor purchases, including all household expenses (including the note/mortgage - four of them, over the years).

If she wishes to throw money my way (such as getting me a new desktop and laptop upon my retirement - as a "retirement gift"), fine. But it never was expected.

I guess it comes down to when she went back to work after we were married and her caring for our (disabled) son for over five years. We always planned to live on my pay since we never knew if/when she would have to give up her j*b if our situation changed.

Different strokes...

Back
Top Bottom