Keeping your bicycle safe from theft

Looks like a great option. But if you already own your own bicycle, is the main reason for using the share program to avoid potential theft of your own personal bike?
Yes. They are good for one way trips - basically, commuting to work or play. Our personal bikes cost a bundle and do not sit out chained to light posts.

My $40 garage sale Fuji: No sprayed-on rust here. Nothing but the real thing...
556255_3728887550634_929185141_n.jpg

Last edited:
I used to daydream about what I would do to a bike thief if I ever caught one in the act . . .

I used to daydream about what I would do to a bike thief if I ever caught one in the act . . .
Yea, my fantasy involves a cheap lock, a scope and a silencer......:mad:

I had a $50 WalMart bike stolen a couple of years ago. After YEARS of never locking it up someone just walked out and rode it away. It was the perfect size for my petite body - it was a purple KIDS (girls) bike. I could NOT believe it. And I could not believe that people just stood their watching as I shouted at the SOB to bring my bike back ! Sure wish you were there Travelover and Kramer !

I now have a cheap chain type lock on my bike but after reading this thread I'm going to get one of the U Shaped ones. It may not be perfect, but its better than what I have.

There's a rash of motorcycle theft where I live, and the board posters conclusion is insurance given the availability of battery powered angle grinders.

The bad guys rent a uhaul van and fiddle the plates. Then they cut the security device and several of them hoist the machine into the van. The machines are dismantled and the parts sold on ebay.

I had a $50 WalMart bike stolen a couple of years ago. After YEARS of never locking it up someone just walked out and rode it away. It was the perfect size for my petite body - it was a purple KIDS (girls) bike. I could NOT believe it. And I could not believe that people just stood their watching as I shouted at the SOB to bring my bike back ! Sure wish you were there Travelover and Kramer !

I know the feeling! When I showed up to the bike rack to find an empty rack where my bike was left, I felt completely violated. I don't think I've ever had anything stolen from me before, so maybe this is just part of the experience of your first significant loss. But walking home that evening without my bike, the rush of emotions I was feeling was overwhelming. I don't wish to ever go through that again!

Seems to me that a bike owner in an area like mine has two choices:

(1) Buy the bike you love but never leave your bike unattended outside, for any reason, even at home; or

(2) Buy a "beater" for almost nothing (surely a really cheap, ugly one can be found for almost nothing). Make sure it was cheap enough that you really don't mind losing it once or twice a year. Lock it up with the best lock you can afford.

A bike owner could do both, owning two bikes for different purposes. You could ride the first one all over for exercise and fun. However, if you need to pick something up at the store then ride the first bike home, lock it inside your house, then get on the beater and ride that one to the store.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom