Lessons fromt he 1950s -- Food for Thought

RonBoyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Interesting Article:

Vital retirement lessons from the 1950s - CBS News

Particularly the comment by tmittelstaed ( May 31, 2014 2:2AM) Here is an excerpt:

My MIL has willed all her money to my wife but as I continually remind my wife whenever we discuss this, we will be lucky to escape having her mothers creditors coming after us. We now know that there's no chance of any inheritance because that money will be completely bled out of her mother before she dies. Almost certainly, by the time medical science lets my wife's mother die, my wife will have spent MORE years caring for her mother in her old age than her mother ever spent on raising her to adulthood.

As my own grandmother said before she died, "what's wrong with a nice coronary?"

I don't have any answers for anyone here, other than to say that we really must make the hard-nosed choices to let the elderly go when it's time for them to go. But you will have the medical establishment fighting you every step of the way.

I read the article. Yes, we current day retirees, not just ERs, are having it easy. There was a recent thread where it was discussed that retirees in earlier generations still had to do some work, but it was simply not for pay. Now, we want 100% leisure time. I am grateful to be able to slack off.

Particularly the comment by tmittelstaed ( May 31, 2014 2:2AM) Here is an excerpt

I don't have any answers for anyone here, other than to say that we really must make the hard-nosed choices to let the elderly go when it's time for them to go. But you will have the medical establishment fighting you every step of the way.

But people will tell you about cases where the family or the patient wants to exhaust every possible choice. It is not always the medical profession that wants to prolong life beyond the hopeless point.

Back
Top Bottom