Let the countdown commence ... 2 months

TeeRuh

Recycles dryer sheets
Well I actually set the date; 31 May 2008. Don't know why this was so hard. I actually am working an extra month because I was struggling with pulling the trigger (and wanted to give 2 months notice). Probably didn't help that the nest egg has been shrinking rather than growing; but the lump sum pension will allow be to buy into a down market. Anyways, I did it and I think I'm feeling some relief already ...

Goodby MegaTech,
t.r.

Congratulations ! Don't be surprized to have some feelings of anxiety as the day approaches . That will pass and then comes happiness !

How do people celebrate "The Day" - major purchase to reward self, party, or just do nothing special after all? That first day when you don't have to go to work must be surrealistic.

How do people celebrate "The Day" - major purchase to reward self, party, or just do nothing special after all? That first day when you don't have to go to work must be surrealistic.

In my case, it took a while to sink in. For the first month or so: I slept a lot.

Congratulations t.r.! I'll mark the date on my calendar and toast your success with a nip of JD.....:D

Congratulations ! Don't be surprized to have some feelings of anxiety as the day approaches . That will pass and then comes happiness !

Congratulations t.r.! I'll mark the date on my calendar and toast your success with a nip of JD.....:D

Thanks guys and now I've got an idea about how to deal with that anxiety ... (May substitute JW for JD, but we'll see ...)

t.r.

My last day was today -- departed at noon. The last few weeks went by very quickly. Feels strange that I won't be going back next week. But I think I am ready for ER and really look forward to doing my own thing for the rest of my life!

Congratulations Lakedog! Did you experience the anxiety that Moe mentions? Bourbon or scotch the solution? :)

t.r.

Congratulations Lakedog! Did you experience the anxiety that Moe mentions? Bourbon or scotch the solution? :)

t.r.

Thanks! :D
I did experience a little anxiety as the final days ticked by but not a great deal......a drink or two was helpful at times!

Congratulations. Setting the day is important. We are thinking of pushing ours back a few weeks because we would get another six weeks of vacation.

Congrats TeeRuh and Lakedog, seriously! You'll adjust in your own way I'm sure.

My date is 5/16/2010 or 2011 or 2012 at the latest. Probably too soon to announce huh?

Last edited:
My last day was today -- departed at noon. The last few weeks went by very quickly. Feels strange that I won't be going back next week. But I think I am ready for ER and really look forward to doing my own thing for the rest of my life!

Congratulations Lakedog !

Congrats and welcome to the club TeeRuh and LakeDog. Decoder ring and secret handshake in the mail.
My grin is still etched on my face and it's been there since July. :D

Congratulations! My husband's last day is also May 31, 2008, and we can't wait! Our first year of retirement will center around selling our house and relocating.

Congrats - I'm still 14 months out - shooting for May 31, 09

Congrats - I'm still 14 months out - shooting for May 31, 09
CONGRATULATIONS to the new retirees like Lakedog, and those soon to retire like TeeRuh!!!

For me, and probably for Frank, it will be late 2009. I am more than ready for my day of freedom to arrive. Or, as Frank calls it, our AMF day (and if you don't know what that stands for, I won't tell you on this nice forum!) :2funny:

I have no idea when my date is, largely because there are still too many variables involved. The main variable is my wife's employment status. She isn't working right now, so that tends to make the date farther into the future. If she found a decent job with decent benefits even at a mediocre income, it would go a LONG way toward letting me get there -- especially with the benefits part, since that's the scariest part to be without in our situation.

The other variable is that I don't know if I take the fast track (stick with my current job for X year and save like hell) or the slower track (get out of this job sooner, take another lower-paying gig I like better for something more than X years). I suspect I won't even start seriously considering the slower track until the first item I mentioned is addressed. Until then I really have no options...

Im having foot surgery May 22nd. Official retirement date is July 14. However I may not be returning after the surgery.

CONGRATULATIONS to the new retirees like Lakedog, and those soon to retire like TeeRuh!!!

For me, and probably for Frank, it will be late 2009. I am more than ready for my day of freedom to arrive. Or, as Frank calls it, our AMF day (and if you don't know what that stands for, I won't tell you on this nice forum!) :2funny:
Starts with Adiós don't it?

Back
Top Bottom