Longevity in retirement

traineeinvestor

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Another article claiming that retirement shortens life expectancy: Retirement Will Kill You - Bloomberg

While I can agree that retirees need to keep themselves physically and mentally stimulated and socially engaged, I'm not convinced by the findings. On the link between longevity in retirees and underlying physical health the author points out:

The big question is whether the observed physical deterioration after retirement occurs because it is underlying poor health that leads people to end their working life. Some studies that try to control for this reverse causality, such as a 2007 paper by John Bound of the University of Michigan and Timothy Waidmann of the Urban Institute, find that retirement doesn’t harm health -- and may actually improve it. Another study, by Esteban Calvo of the Universidad Diego Portales in Chile, Natalia Sarkisian of Boston College and Christopher Tamborini of the Social Security Administration, finds harm from early retirement but no benefit from delaying retirement beyond the traditional age.

Why are some people so against retirement? I think pollution, stress, lack of exercise etc etc kills anyone faster than retirement. With the exception, of course, to those whose only passion is their job. There are people like that and well, they should certainly delay their retirement.

Back
Top Bottom