Fitness Activities In Early Retirement

Some_Other_Guy

Confused about dryer sheets
My significant other and I are looking to retire early within the next 5-7 years, putting us both hitting the proverbial finish line at ~50 y/o. We're both relatively active, playing full-court singles pickleball (it's harder than you think!) 3-5 times a week, walking the dogs a couple miles a day, hiking and kayaking through three seasons a year as we can while still working. We're both hoping that we'll be able to keep up these types of activities well into our retirement, but we're always discussing the next new thing to try to maintain our health and physical fitness.

What are some things that those of you who already made it do to maintain your physical fitness and activity levels? What types of physical fitness routines have you started or maintained?

We are big hikers/walkers. We have dozens of paved and dirt trails right out our front door. We average 7-8 miles a day. I also am a road cyclist and in season will ride 3-4 days a week.
We both have watches with fitness tracking and that really helps keep us motivated. We watch our VO2 max, a measure of cardio fitness, and try to keep it in the high range for our age. You need activities that elevate your heart rate for steady periods in order to see progress.

Well, these are not things that you need - but:

- riding stationary bike (a comfortable/stable one is great for me) - it's stable, safe, and I can adjust the resistance - and if I'm interrupted I know how much time is left to reach an hour;

- walking - It can be done almost anywhere - indoor or outdoor;

- Pilates machine - I have an old one and it helps with strength and flexibility;

- small weights (on which I was started by a physical therapist following an accident).

If I had the space - I would probably buy a bowflex type of machine as DH does not like visiting gyms. (My older cousin who has been retired for years loves going to the gym - and swims several times a week.

What ever you love to do - as long as it is ok with your doc - keep doing it!

1) Riding bike 2-4 days/wk
2) Health club, walking on treadmill followed by light weights - I believe that lifting weights is even more important as we age....enough to keep your muscled toned and maintain enough strength to do normal everyday things around the house.
3) Walking outside on days when I can't go for a bike ride

The most important thing is to find something that you enjoy (or at a minimum, don't hate) because it's so easy to "put it off for another day". Try to make it a habit.

Similar to COCheesehead, I'm a long time bike rider. Although I don't do long distance road riding anymore (the roads in our areas of NJ are just too crowded and dangerous), I still ride as often as I can.

I use my Peloton bike and fitness apps almost daily. Doing 30-60 minutes of fairly high intensity riding, using a heart rate monitor (I also have heart issues) is something I enjoy doing and my doctor is thrilled that I maintain this routine. Also, along with the rides, there are stretching, strength, other cardio, meditation, pilates and Yoga classes that are included with the membership. These can be done adjacent to the bike or separately in front of a TV or an ipad or phone. If any of you are also Peloton riders, my Leaderboard name is Luvtoride40 and I'll look for you there.

Also, I still do bike ride, but mostly on bike paths and along the boardwalk at our Jersey shore home with my family members especially with my grandkids. This type of low impact riding is alot of fun without the danger of crazy drivers on the roads.

Hiking, walking, weights (dumbbells at home), biking, kayaking.

Stopped running a couple of weeks ago to see if my lower back pain subsides.

Last edited:
My significant other and I are looking to retire early within the next 5-7 years, putting us both hitting the proverbial finish line at ~50 y/o. We're both relatively active, playing full-court singles pickleball (it's harder than you think!) 3-5 times a week, walking the dogs a couple miles a day, hiking and kayaking through three seasons a year as we can while still working. We're both hoping that we'll be able to keep up these types of activities well into our retirement, but we're always discussing the next new thing to try to maintain our health and physical fitness.

What are some things that those of you who already made it do to maintain your physical fitness and activity levels? What types of physical fitness routines have you started or maintained?

glad to hear you are staying active and I love when people encourage this sort of activity.

we walk three miles a day. I love biking, my wife's into Yoga. We had to scale back out activity as we got older, we still hit up the parks, and swim all summer long.

Sounds like your doing fine, just keep it up! I get out as often as weather permits. Typically ride bike about 15 miles twice a week, go for a jog on the trails at a nearby nature preserve twice a week, typically 3-5 miles , and of course, mow the lawn weekly with a push mower (it's just a long hike). Love to hike, especially this time of the year.

Retired at 50. Gave up running on any pavement at 55 to preserve the joints as long as possible. I dislike exercising indoors and hate gyms. But I can hike in any weather (just dress for the weather) and if the snow gets deep, I'll snow shoe the same trails I jog on. Had heart bypass at age 70, four years ago. Doc told me I'm cleared for marathon training if I so desire (having run 8 in my life, the knees won't allow that kind of abuse)

Last edited:
I have two workout routines, that I alternate. One can be done in 45 minutes and the other takes about 1 1/4 hour. I try to exercise six days a week. Neither includes walking up and down some hills in my area. I do my walking while listening to audio books that i enjoy. Often I’ll add a few blocks so I can finish an interesting chapter. The audio book reward makes the walking more interesting.

I took early retirement for several reasons and one of the most important was and is to improve my health through better eating (I prepare most of my own meals) and exercising. So far it seems to be working.

I am not a gym rat and going to gyms is an unpleasant chore for me.

Last edited:
Same as I did before retirement....just more of it. :)

Mostly mountain biking and hiking in the summer and skiing (downhill and XC) in the winter.

I have an elliptical for bad weather. It was $30 on Facebook marketplace.

I have 3 sets of free weights, 10, 15 and 20lbs.

I use Apple Fitness + (Apple Watch, iPhone, Apple TV box) for Yoga, Pilates, Strength, Core, Stretching. They also have treadmill, bike, rowing, kickboxing, HIIT.

5,10,20,30, 45 minutes. There are activities for any time frame.

Walking and biking outside are great activities.

As you age, flexibility, core strength and variety are the key. I'm not looking to get huge or buff. Just keep somewhat flexible and do a variety of things.

Experiment and find what works. You can get the Peloton subscription with no bike or treadmill that has a lot of great workouts. I had a Peloton bike for a couple years and do miss the yoga instructors from Peloton. Quality instructors and platform.

I started lifting heavy weights, powerlifting, at 51.

I converted half my garage to a home gym with squat rack, bench, barbells, dumbells, plates. I do simple routines of deadlifts, squats, benchpress, with some accessory work. Our bodies are working against us and we will lose 3-5% of our muscle mass every decade doing just cardio, or nothing. I like being stronger too.

(And if your SO is female, so am I, there is a near zero chance of "getting bulky" unless she wants to.)

Swim, run, cycle, weights. Best part of not having a j*b is being able to do these things on your own schedule. I have an ongoing goal of averaging one exercise a day; since I take occasional rest days, then I try to do "doubles" on a few other days. But I don't obsess about it. It's enough to have the goal to strive for.

1) Riding bike 2-4 days/wk
2) Health club, walking on treadmill followed by light weights - I believe that lifting weights is even more important as we age....enough to keep your muscled toned and maintain enough strength to do normal everyday things around the house.
3) Walking outside on days when I can't go for a bike ride

The most important thing is to find something that you enjoy (or at a minimum, don't hate) because it's so easy to "put it off for another day". Try to make it a habit.

that is the secret. do what you enjoy! if you don't enjoy it you will find an excuse not to do it. also, if you are doing it with others they will hopefully encourage you to do it.

I started lifting heavy weights, powerlifting, at 51.

I converted half my garage to a home gym with squat rack, bench, barbells, dumbells, plates. I do simple routines of deadlifts, squats, benchpress, with some accessory work. Our bodies are working against us and we will lose 3-5% of our muscle mass every decade doing just cardio, or nothing. I like being stronger too.

(And if your SO is female, so am I, there is a near zero chance of "getting bulky" unless she wants to.)

We also started getting serious about this upon retirement. I converted a chunk of our basement to free weights, including a squat rack. We have multiple olympic bars to make transitions easier. We alternate this with walking 6 miles in 90 minutes (goal; sometimes beat it, and usually get within a few seconds per mile). I occasionally will still run 5K, but DW's arthritis takes that out of her wheelhouse.

On our trips (~50% of the year), we don't really work out, but between hiking, diving, and walking around cities, we don't lose too much--even on a three month trip.

As others have said, do what's comfortable for you. But above all, do something!

DW and I have always been active. We. Are 72 & 71. We almost always belonged to a gym where we mostly do muscle toning stuff and winter aerobics.

I like team sports from softball to ice hockey. I have now aged out of those unless a 50+ game appears. So Pickleball has become my sport.

Active vacations are part of our fitness. We have been bike touring since 1997. Once we retired our tours have gone from 1 week to. 2 months. We have also gone on a few hikes, one being the Camino de Santiago.

Our one car is always our last choice to go from place to place. For example, Yesterday we walked the 2 miles to an event and back. Today, my DW will take 2 mile walk to the gym and either walk back or bus. I will ride my bike to Pball. Active transport is part of our lifestyle for the fitness and other benefits.

At least 5 days a week, we will be either walking, biking, playing a sport, using aerobic equipment, and doing body toning exercise with or without weights. It seems to be working as this summer we biked from Cleveland to Cincinnati. As well as the GAP where we surprised ourselves to have fairly easily went from Pittsburgh to Cumberland with only one overnight stay. We do see e-bikes in our future.

Lots of great habits on this thread.

Movement is medicine!

One of the probably less talked about benefits of ER is the time to be physically active and really, in my case, bake it into disciplined daily routines.

I lift weights 3x a week, swim at the Y 3x a week, in addition to 15 minutes of yoga/stretching every day. I also walk a couple miles a day.

Lots of great habits on this thread.

Movement is medicine!

One of the probably less talked about benefits of ER is the time to be physically active and really, in my case, bake it into disciplined daily routines.

I lift weights 3x a week, swim at the Y 3x a week, in addition to 15 minutes of yoga/stretching every day. I also walk a couple miles a day.

Free866, Exactly...."Movement is Medicine". In his book, Outlive:The Science and Art of Longevity, Dr. Peter Attia cites EXERCISE as the number ONE habit that will make the most significant impact on longevity and Healthspan (healthy lifespan).

"Movement is medicine" - Most definitely.

I walk, bike, at the gym 3 times a week (either 1 hour gym workouts with fee weights, machines, and yoga/floor/toning exercises, or swimming, usually with DW, which is a treat :D). I golf 2-4 times a week and and briskly walk the round (if there is no one ahead of me I can golf a round in about 2 hours and 15 minutes).

Also, while home I try not to sit for long periods of time. For example, I have a timer program on my computer that I currently have set to 30-15 intervals. T=After 30 minutes of sitting I get up and do something else that keeps me on my feet for 15 minutes, before I return to sitting.

I have been planning to try pickleball, and my gym has pickleball hours for seniors. But I want take a lesson first. around here the county offers 1/2 day sessions, 2 hours of lessons then 2 hours of playing, but those classes fill up fast.

Pickleball is awesome. In addition to the physical aspects, the social connections made at open play are just as important. Keep it up.

Pickleball for 2 hours - 3 days a week. Jog 2-3 miles 3-4 days a week. Run charity 5k's once or twice a month during fall through spring. Kayak in rivers and lakes and intracoastal. Ski once or twice a year for a week. Garden most days. I make most vacations active - walking, hiking, jogging etc.

Keep up the Pickleball playing. I play 5-6x weekly for 4-5 hours daily. Great exercise that one doesn't even think about that aspect.

Almost all of your activity is leg dominated (except for kayaking). For balance you should add some upper body weight training.

I swim for an hour nonstop 5 days per week. I put in a few laps of butterfly at the end, which is like a sprint at the end of a jog. Swimming exercises upper and lower body, as well as core, and with every stroke there is a stretch. Flip turns are increasing my back flexibility and strengthening my abs. I returned to swimming 4 months ago and feel fantastic. It’s also a time to think without interruption.

We power walk, pickleball, golf, paddleboard yoga. But resistance training with weights, bands or body weight it probably more important than cardio. I workout with bands and water rower, and I do a couple balance exercises too - but I keep falling off the wagon. Every senior should find a way to incorporate weight training, much more beneficial than cardio alone.

Back
Top Bottom