Many Americans try retirement, then change their minds

I have to admit I am amused at the "is it RE or is it not RE?" for those who retire and then choose to do something that they are being paid for, when the need for money is not an issue. I have always seem as RE being able to choose every day what you wanted to do without regards to the want or need for money.
That's FI not RE.

Goal is no work ever again.......FI and RE.

That's FI not RE.

Theoretically I agree with you. That is, if someone is working substantial hours (I don't think occasional consulting or very part time work applies) then it is easy to say that is FI and not RE.

But...I can see why someone would consider it RE. Like probably many here, I had a long career to which I really did devote a lot of time and energy. It wasn't just a job. Someone commented that women don't see a career as much as part of their identity as men do. But...I did. So when I think of my working life. I think of myself as an attorney. That was my career.

If I was to, say, go and get a job working in a retail store (no, that is not what I want to do) just for fun, I would nonetheless think of myself as retired because I wouldn't be working as an attorney. I would have retired from that career. It wouldn't just be that I was FI, it would be that the job wouldn't really matter to me in terms of my identity or finances. It would be more like when I go to the movies or do something else for fun. It would be in effect part of my activities and not a central part of my life.

I realize that is probably a distinction that many might not make. But, I would see that as entirely different than if I, say, got a new job as an attorney. That would be FI and not RE. But if I got a job working at a bookstore I would still consider that being retired given the lack of importance of the job to either my finances or my self concept.

This seems to be a constant debate, and I will put in my two cents...

Words should have a commonly accepted meaning, otherwise language breaks down as an effective means of communication. It's true that anyone can "consider themselves to be retired" in any situation, even if they are still working, and anyone has the right to define any word the way they want, after all it is a free country and we can live how we want and we can define words how we want and we can categorize our lives however we want. All fine and good. Except when you use that word in a conversation with other people using a definition that is not commonly accepted and you expect those other people to agree with your definition of the word.

Merriam Webster has two defintions of the word "retired." One is "withdrawn from one's position or occupation," and the other is "having concluded one's working or professional career."

It seems that you can be retired by the first definition and still work in a different occupation, but then are you not now working in your new position or occupation? Think about it. Therefore, my interpretation of the word retired means you no longer work in a position or occupation and you have concluded your working or professional career, and I define "working" as doing work in exchange for money. So if you continue to work in a position or occupation, you are not retired, even if you are working in a different position or profession than before, and even if you are working less hours, and even if you don't need the money.

Let's say someone was a firefighter for 30 years and retired at the age of 55 and now works part time at Home Depot just for something to do and a few extra dollars because they enjoy it but they really don't need the money. If that person says "I am a retired firefighter" I can understand because in that case they are describing their retirement from the occupation of firefighter even though they work part time in a different position. But if they say "I am retired" I think that departs from the commonly accepted definition because they are still working, I think it would be better to say "I am semi-retired," that would be more accurate.

Last edited:
If I was to, say, go and get a job working in a retail store (no, that is not what I want to do) just for fun, I would nonetheless think of myself as retired because I wouldn't be working as an attorney. I would have retired from that career. It wouldn't just be that I was FI, it would be that the job wouldn't really matter to me in terms of my identity or finances. It would be more like when I go to the movies or do something else for fun. It would be in effect part of my activities and not a central part of my life.
I would say in that situation you are a retired attorney, but you are not "retired" because you are working for money, you are semi-retired.

Last edited:
I need to figure this out...

So, if I volunteer to ref a rugby match every Saturday, I can say I am FIRE'ed... but if I accept the $100/match payment they offer, I cannot say I am retired.

This can get so confusing!

:LOL::facepalm:

I need to figure this out...

So, if I volunteer to ref a rugby match every Saturday, I can say I am FIRE'ed... but if I accept the $100/match payment they offer, I cannot say I am retired.

This can get so confusing!

:LOL::facepalm:

The best I can come up with to reconcile what you wrote above and what JustCurious wrote before you (and you both made your cases very well, and I tend to agree with both), is this: If there is an agreement beforehand that you get paid for what you did, then you can't claim you are retired. If you do some volunteer work but they happen to throw you some money afterward, with no agreement beforehand to do so, then you can still consider yourself retired. I do some volunteer work like you do, and sometimes they throw a few dollars my way, and sometimes they don't. I still consider myself retired.

The best I can come up with to reconcile what you wrote above and what JustCurious wrote before you (and you both made your cases very well, and I tend to agree with both), is this: If there is an agreement beforehand that you get paid for what you did, then you can't claim you are retired. If you do some volunteer work but they happen to throw you some money afterward, with no agreement beforehand to do so, then you can still consider yourself retired. I do some volunteer work like you do, and sometimes they throw a few dollars my way, and sometimes they don't. I still consider myself retired.

Problem is, I have to tell them before the season if I want to be paid or not. But I do't have to worry too much about it until I decide to actually stop w*rking!

Retirement is a state of mind, not something dictated by the official pronouncements of those who can't find better things to do. I've known many that for practical purposes, had retired on the job!

Oh no, I must break from my retirement to go out and address my employment responsibilities. Gotta walk half a block, make sure (usually five) kids get safely across the street (paid by police department as a school crossing guard), but I'll be back in about 15.

Last edited:
Retirement is a state of mind, not something dictated by the official pronouncements of those who can't find better things to do. I've known many that for practical purposes, had retired on the job!

Oh no, I must break from my retirement to go out and address my employment responsibilities. Gotta walk half a block, make sure (usually) five kids get safely across the street (paid by police department as a school crossing guard), but I'll be back in about 15.

Back now to resume being retired. This is such a silly argument. I do what work pleases me and what I commit to do, on my terms. Regardless of what pigeonhole folks here wish to put me in, and have been doing so for 18 years since I left my last career position at age 50. Though to avoid the none of your business questions, I always use the phrase "semi-retired" for the last 18 years, as I do many things and for some I receive compensation but the motivation is to enjoy life, be part of a community, and keep the mind engaged.

Whatever, I retired early, with a one and three year old boys disrupting my going away luncheon.

Last edited:
That's FI not RE.

If your FI you can call it whatever you damn well want to call it as you don't need to report it to the RE authorities or a supervisor. It's their ludicrous problem if they wish to split hairs, not mine. I do seasonal work at a CPA firm, but going to a son's soccer game takes priority over anything at work, and they know I'll just walk out. Actually did tell them I'm not coming back just two weeks ago, they started thinking too much like Megacorp......didn't need to put up with that crap.

You'all have spent tooooo much time in Megacorp and analysis/paralysis.

Rant off/ gotta go analyze my retirement situation--grease the hubs on my retirement pop-up trailer.

Last edited:
If your FI you can call it whatever you damn well want to call it as you don't need to report it to the RE authorities or a supervisor.
So if I can make up my own definition of retired and call myself retired whenever I want, can I make up my own definition of being financially independent and call myself FI whenever I damn well want too?

Last edited:
So if I can make up my own definition of retired and call myself retired whenever I want, can I make up my own definition of being financially independent and call myself FI whenever I damn well want too?
Sure, and your own definition of being a rock star too! How about a Master of The Universe? No reason not too! And these free running definitions will tell you a lot about one's ability to learn anything from the Internets. Except me, what I say is always gospel.

Ha

You can be anyone you want on a nameless and faceless message board.

Reactions: W2R
I am so lucky!!! So far I have not seen any definition of retirement that did not describe my situation.

1. Sleep late and get up whenever I want..... .check!
2. do what I want, when I want to do it...……. check!
3. No work responsibilities ever again...……….check!
4. No boss telling me what to do with my precious time.... check!
5. Reliable worry free income...………………………check!
6. Stay up as late as I want and do stupid stuff like listen to youtubes all night if I want to…….check!

I think that about covers it, for me. So, the quibbling over what is ER or what is FI, just does not matter to me personally.

Other person: "What do you do for a living?"
Me: "I'm a retired Oceanographer."
Other person: "ohhhh… er…..what do you think about global warming?"
Me: "Uhhhhh….not much, these days! But I got a senior discount over at Supercuts the other day."

I didn't even get the chance to RE before going back to work!

Was all ready to pull the plug, and then the sort of work that I truly enjoy doing that had kind of disappeared from my job in recent years has unexpectedly come roaring back. That plus a longtime setup of twice a week telecommuting made me decide that continuing to get a paycheck and good health insurance was okay to stick with.

But I also know that I can walk any day, never work again, and have plenty of dough. That helps a lot. (And I think they know it, too, and are worried that I will do it!)

Back
Top Bottom