Motercycles /Scooters after FIRE

Visibility.

My Ninja was black. I always wore a blaze orange helmet so I would be visibile. It made a huge difference.

A friend of mine manufactures motorcycle clothes. His "High Viz" color is a lime/green/yellow color. Amazing how it can be seen.

Red is bad for visibility, especially in the evening.

Red was the color of the three bikes he was hit on. The head on was red, the sideswipe was a red with some black around the edges, this last one , the lower third of the tank was red. He feels red is a bad luck for him and I have to agree. The yellow was so he would stand out in the crowd and so you could see him even on a dark night.

I don't know if this pic will show up but it's what was left of the head on.

Attachments

• 1182cf40.jpg
    1182cf40.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 1182cf40.jpg_thumb
    39.2 KB · Views: 0
Martha said:
A friend of mine manufactures motorcycle clothes. His "High Viz" color is a lime/green/yellow color. Amazing how it can be seen.

Never could convince myself to wear that Aerostich High Vis color, but it sure is visible, agree.

darien-hi-viz.jpg

Yup, it is bright.

I also haven't bought the Hi Viz clothing. They offered to custom make me a jacket--their standard sizes for men were not going to fit this below 5' tall woman. But I haven't taken them up on it yet.

The orange helmut really did make a difference though. People seem to stay further away. I recommend wearing something florescent or bright for visibility.

Hey Rich, maybe a new "man purse:"

Hi-viz-bag.jpg

Nords said:
I'm not a motorcycle rider-- what's the significance of red or black or yellow?

Beats me.

When I was a young delinquent after totaling a 383 Roadrunner, a Firebird 400, and a 327 Corvette I realized I'd had the same Hurst Tee-handle shift knob in each car. Naturally I stopped moving the Hurst knob from car to car, and only totaled a Pinto and a Capri afterward.

hth,

Cb

I'm 58 and planning on retiring next year. I've had motorcycles since I was 16. Current bike is a 2001 Road King Classic. While I love motorcycles I'ved decided to call it quits. In all my years of riding I never had a wreck. I figure the odds are against me.

I bought a 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata to play with and to replace the bike. The wife loves the bike but she prefers the convertible now. Originally I told her I would sell the bike and replace it with the Miata. That was two years ago. Now I'm telling her I'll sell the bike and get a boat. We both love the water, she likes the idea, so it will be a good tradeoff.

For the folks starting out on bikes after retirement, just be careful and use common sense. Be particually mindful of 16year olds drivers with cellphones in their heads.

Used to be, the vast majority of motorcycle accidents involved young men (17 - 24 or so); as of the last few years the majority involve men in their 50s.

garrynky said:
I bought a 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata to play with and to replace the bike.

I had several bikes, a Honda 65 in 1966, a Ducati 250 1968/9 and a Triupmh 500 1969/71

I wanted a bike in the last many years but my wife has a Miata and I find it provides the motorcycle "hit" for me, at least when the top is down.

garrynky said:
I'm 58 and planning on retiring next year. I've had motorcycles since I was 16. Current bike is a 2001 Road King Classic. While I love motorcycles I'ved decided to call it quits. In all my years of riding I never had a wreck. I figure the odds are against me.

I bought a 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata to play with and to replace the bike. The wife loves the bike but she prefers the convertible now. Originally I told her I would sell the bike and replace it with the Miata. That was two years ago. Now I'm telling her I'll sell the bike and get a boat. We both love the water, she likes the idea, so it will be a good tradeoff.

For the folks starting out on bikes after retirement, just be careful and use common sense. Be particually mindful of 16year olds drivers with cellphones in their heads.

Someone mentioned "that little voice in your head" letting you know it was
time to stop riding. That is what happened to me. I own two (2) boats
now and "might" buy another Miata if I found the right deal. Under
those conditions I would still miss the bike but the pain would be relieved.

JG

Thought I'd add my $.02.

Turned 50 in 1998. Had to have a Harley. The waiting period at that time was about 1 year, so I bought a customized Low Rider off the floor in Orange, Virginia. I spent a LOT of $$$. Cost me about $23,000. I also had to have all the gear; chaps, two helmets, gloves, boots, etc. The tab just kept going up. I rode the thing for about two years until I had a close call. Really shook me up. I used to ride in my 20's, but this Harley never felt right. Maybe I was just thinking too much. Oh yeah, I joined the local HOG club, thinking I was pretty cool. I wasn't. Never felt like I fit in. Maybe because my Harley was a strange color blue (high impact blue-custom shop color) and the other Harley folks thought it looked weird ( except for the ladies; they loved it). Anyway, I sold it after it sat as a garage ornament for about two years. Don't miss it. Had some fun and I have no regrets except that I wish I bought a used, non-customized bike.

Anyone else gone through the "50 and got to have a Harley phase"?

paradiseken said:
Thought I'd add my $.02.

Anyone else gone through the "50 and got to have a Harley phase"?

I got my first bike at 47 although I was attracted by the lifestyle for decades. I always thought I would finish my career on a Harley, even though every honest person knows you are mostly buying the name
and image. I ran out of time before I ever owned one. Probably just as well.

JG

garrynky:

"In all my years of riding I never had a wreck. I figure the odds are against me.

I bought a 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata to play with and to replace the bike. The wife loves the bike but she prefers the convertible now."

Love motorcycles. Had five. My last, a BMW Roadster 1100 I put over 50,000 miles on it before I had my accident (first one in thirty-five years of riding). Full protective gear (Roadster armored suit, BMW boots, gloves and a full-face helmet. Lady turned left in front of me. Hit with my head and now I don't have a useable left arm (nerves ripped from spine).

Wife and I now ride around in a 2003 Mazda Miata. Still love bikes, but....

Rich said:
garrynky:

"In all my years of riding I never had a wreck. I figure the odds are against me.

I bought a 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata to play with and to replace the bike. The wife loves the bike but she prefers the convertible now."

Love motorcycles. Had five. My last, a BMW Roadster 1100 I put over 50,000 miles on it before I had my accident (first one in thirty-five years of riding). Full protective gear (Roadster armored suit, BMW boots, gloves and a full-face helmet. Lady turned left in front of me. Hit with my head and now I don't have a useable left arm (nerves ripped from spine).

Wife and I now ride around in a 2003 Mazda Miata. Still love bikes, but....

Interesting the people who go from bikes to Miatas.

About 10 years ago I reconnected with a guy I first met in the 60s....long time biker. He had a Kawaski full dresser and a Kawaski Vulcan V-twin.
Anyway, he invited me to join him on his regular group trip
(weekend) into Wisconsin. The first time out I asked him if any of
the group ever had a "scare", at which point he informed me they had
a fatality a couple years before. I was a bit surprised. This guy is pushing
70 and still riding, although the last few times I rode with him I could tell
he was slipping. Once it gets into your blood it's hard to give up.

JG

igsoy said:
I'm not retired yet, but I just got a new bike. I started out on a '92 Ninja 500 eight yrs ago, and just switched to an '05 Suzuki Intruder 800. (both great beginner bikes) I am quite short so these beginner bikes are all I'll ever be able to ride. I am in Colorado, so have lots of great scenery to ride through, and the Intruder is much more comfortable than the Ninja was for long rides.

I actually owned 2 Intruders, a 1997 and a 2003. Both were the 800 CC
version. I would not be comfortable with anything much larger either
and I thoght the Intruders were very comfortable, even on long rides.
Plus, they looked sharp (chopperesque?) IMHO.

JG

I was thinking about the original poster talking about taking up biking after retirement. To be honest, I think it can be done if this has always been a life long dream. Also, to be honest, motorcyling requires quick reaction, being attentive and always being on your toes. Frankly, I'm not as sharp and I'm not as coordinated as I was a few years back, that plays a large part in my decision to get out of biking.

As for the Miata, I've got a turboed job with a bunch of Flyin Miata parts on it, running 200 whp right now. Getting ready to change out the factory computer, I like to tinker and this thing is really quick right now.

As for boating, I'm in Kentucky right now but next year I head back to Tulsa, Ok and will be boating on Soldier Creek at Lake Texhoma, hopefully in a 26' Sea Ray.

Once you get the biking bug it never goes away. As for the Harley thing, I had a Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and HD. (HD stands for hundred dollars, you can't buy anything in a Harley shop for less that a hundred bucks). I appreciated each bike on it's on merit. I met a lot of wonderful folks in the Harley crowd.

A previous poster noted he rode for 35 years without an accident then had one that was very serious. This reinforces my decision. Quit while I'm ahead.

I'm working on FIRE.....ride a 1998 Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra Glide Classic.....I'm in St. Petersburg, FL.....when I want to go for a nice ride I head north through Brooksville area or Trilby.....but I ride pretty much wherever.....I highly recommend taking the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Rider Course.....and wear a good helmet!

garrynky said:
As for the Miata, I've got a turboed job with a bunch of Flyin Miata parts on it, running 200 whp right now. Getting ready to change out the factory computer, I like to tinker and this thing is really quick right now.

As for boating, I'm in Kentucky right now but next year I head back to Tulsa, Ok and will be boating on Soldier Creek at Lake Texhoma, hopefully in a 26' Sea Ray.

A previous poster noted he rode for 35 years without an accident then had one that was very serious. This reinforces my decision. Quit while I'm ahead.

Miatas........my fav. "cheap" car ever.

Lake Texoma is my home water when I'm in Texas. Keep the boat at Highport Marina in Pottsboro. (The lake is partly in Texas and partly in
Okla.).

Quitting while you are ahead is very useful, in biking and many other
venues as well.

JG

Now you guys are making me want a Miata.

What happened to all the LBYMs threads?

:-X

Martha said:
Now you guys are making me want a Miata.

What happened to all the LBYMs threads?

:-X

Just gathering up my toys before I quit working. :)

Back
Top Bottom