Motorcycles' siren song...

Rich_by_the_Bay

Moderator Emeritus
Got my Aerostich catalog today and started reminiscing. I've owned several cycles, giving up my last one a couple of years ago, a K1200LT big ole touring machine. I'd go on 1000 mile trips at any excuse, plied the roads of Arizona, Utah, California, Florida and lots of places in between. But time constraints and few local rides in these parts led me to sell.

So now I'l turning the pages, looking over the gear... maybe a little more time to travel soon. Motorhome looking less likely with the gas thing... still have my favorite helmet and some gear out in the garage (for some strange reason). Hmmm....

Anyone still riding hard at age 60+ ? Here's me near the hoodoos of Utah about 6 or 7 years ago, met up with my pal Phil who also owned a R1150RT. Loved them all but I think that was my favorite bike.

Suzuki Burgman 650

Following ER, I bought a used 2003 Burgman 650 maxi-scooter 3 years ago. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Just got back from a trip to Hell and Back. Hell, for those who don't know, is located in Michigan, between Ann Arbor and Flint. 1400 miles round trip, stauing in mid-cost motels. I cruise at 70-75 on the slab & get a consistent 50 mpg. I get the sasme mileage touring the back country roads at 35-45 mph.

The Burgie has an automatic transmission, so getting caught in the wrong gear isn't a problem. Mainternance is minimal, and breakdowns (so far) are zero.

Sorry, but a 6' 8", the stuff in the Aerostick catalog doesn't fit me -- I like FirstGear.

I'm a 'rounder' (riding all year long), so I use Widder electric gear during the4 cold months, pulling a maximum 108 watts from the Burgman.

Anyone still riding hard at age 60+ ?
I'm in that age category as of Sunday (ugh!). I haven't owned a motorcycle since I was in my 20's. However, with the gas crunch I have thought about something gutless along the lines of a Vespa (or whatever is in that category these days) for short distances, in ER.

Guess that's not exactly "riding hard", though! :2funny: I'm sure some others will post of their adventures.

No hard riding here. More like putt putt. Still have my 1988 Honda 400, bought new then. Used to keep it on a rack on the front of my Motorhome when I cruised the USA.
Park the MH then used bike for getting around. Now just use it for tooling around town, local trips. Like me the bike has been in every one of the lower 48 states.
coolsmiley.gif

Our purchase as of last week. A 2002 Harley Davidson Heritage Springer Softail.

We both had motorcycles in our teens and when we were first married. It's been over 25 years since we have ridden. We're not over 60 yet, but still feel a little naughty buying this toy at our age.

It's a lot of fun....y'all. :cool:

I am a weenie in the motorcycle world but just bought 2 Ninja 250's. Got tired of gas prices and wanted to get back to the fun of riding after a 30 year break. Also, is a great way to see Colorado with my oldest son.

There are many people in their 60s and 70s that I've met who still ride motorcycles. One even still had a big bad sportbike. My uncle in his late 50s, early 60s by now, just brought a brand new Harley something or other. Unless I'm physically unable, I'll be on a bike until I'm 80; it might just be sitting in the garage, but I'll still be on it!

Kevin, what year are the 250's? Are they the new 2008 models?

Our purchase as of last week. A 2002 Harley Davidson Heritage Springer Softail.

We both had motorcycles in our teens and when we were first married. It's been over 25 years since we have ridden. We're not over 60 yet, but still feel a little naughty buying this toy at our age.

Nice ride. But who'll be up front? >:D

Yep. 2008 Ninja 250's picked it up about 2 weeks ago. Had to put a deposit down and wait a few weeks but I love this bike!!

kevin

For anyone who's bought a bike after years away from riding, have you taken the MSF courses or any similar rider refresher or training course? Not to start an argument.

The 2008 Ninja 250 is a sexy beast. In terms of speed, it'll be an almost lateral trade from my current bike, but the mpg and the fun through twisting roads will be much greater. I'm jealous! I hope you take plenty of pictures to share.

Of course, a slow relaxing ride on a big ol' cruiser's hard to beat too. :D

For anyone who's bought a bike after years away from riding, have you taken the MSF courses or any similar rider refresher or training course? Not to start an argument.

The 2008 Ninja 250 is a sexy beast. In terms of speed, it'll be an almost lateral trade from my current bike, but the mpg and the fun through twisting roads will be much greater. I'm jealous! I hope you take plenty of pictures to share.

Of course, a slow relaxing ride on a big ol' cruiser's hard to beat too. :D

I did the MSF course as a refresher and felt it was well worth the time and money. I would also recommend reading Proficient Motorcycling and More Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. Recognizing potential unsafe situations has saved my a@# many times :bat:.

I almost went with a Ninja 250 myself but ultimately went with a Ducati Monster instead (yeah I know hardly LBYM...but its a monster:D).

DD

Owned a lot of different bikes over the years but all the guys i used to ride with eventually sold their bikes and i ended up being the only one left going for the mandatory Sunday ride and to me driving alone on a bike wasnt that much fun when i had started riding with 20 or more biking buddies.I also noticed that the close calls factor was starting to increase as car drivers seemed to be going collectively nuts.I miss bikes and i miss the adventure of going on a run with a bunch of fellow bikers.
Fortunately Mazda makes another option

Attachments

• gap.jpg
    gap.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 15
I won't be in my 60s untill 2010 but I'll be on the race track with my R1 in two weeks.

57 here an ride an FJR 1300 almost everyday. Waited until the kid was out of the house and financially secure before I got my first bike at 52. I ride in the North Georgia, North Carolina and Tennessee area east of Chattanooga mostly. Great way to relax and clear the mind, although it does take focus and decent reflexes to avoid becoming a statistic.

Ah, well, duh, just looked at my registration, my Honda is a 78. Earlier I said 88. Not only loosing days of week, now have CRS. Riding is still fun.
Nice ride bbbamI.

I took the MSF course with my two oldest kids as a refresher since I hadn't ridden a bike in 30 years. I found it more than worth the 2 day investment. It has made me a safer/better rider. I also discovered that I didn't want a cruiser bike. For me I found I still preferred the more upright position on a bike versus the somewhat kicked back seating of a cruiser. One of the things I liked about the Ninja 250 was that the position of the handlebars allows me to sit in pretty much an upright position vs being molded to the gas tank like a lot of sports bikes. Still... there is no way I could stand the Ninja for a long cross country ride.

Ninja 250

First attempt at posting a photo on a forum, so hopefully it works...

Here is a photo of my son getting used to the Ninja before hitting the road... and getting his necessary photos so he can look cool on myspace :)

Attachments

• 2008_NINJA1.jpg
    2008_NINJA1.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 7
I also noticed that the close calls factor was starting to increase as car drivers seemed to be going collectively nuts.

Same reason I gave it up after having 3 bikes and riding 20+ years.

Being an old man (at the age of 60 :cool: ) I also don't like bad weather. My Mustang dosen't come out unless it's a "sunday" (day the sun is out - same conditions when I rode a 2-wheeler) but at least I can put the top up if it rains (or it get's too hot and I can turn on the AC :bat: ).

OK, so now I'm a "weenie" (but I'm still retired and FI :D , so I can do what I want!!!)

BTW, a local Harley dealer is having a car show on sunday (w/Cobra's - the "real ones"). I'm going to see what these "bad boys" look like. Only problem is that I'll be "too close" to the bike showroom :rolleyes:.

- Ron

I took the MSF course with my two oldest kids as a refresher since I hadn't ridden a bike in 30 years. I found it more than worth the 2 day investment. It has made me a safer/better rider. I also discovered that I didn't want a cruiser bike. For me I found I still preferred the more upright position on a bike versus the somewhat kicked back seating of a cruiser. One of the things I liked about the Ninja 250 was that the position of the handlebars allows me to sit in pretty much an upright position vs being molded to the gas tank like a lot of sports bikes. Still... there is no way I could stand the Ninja for a long cross country ride.

I don’t think it matters how much experience a rider has. Those MSF courses are an excellent refresher for anyone as they remind you to be prepared for situations that aren’t, hopefully, experienced frequently.

Congratulations on getting those two Ninjas. I always liked those 250s and the new styling is great. There’s a level of involvement and excitement accessible on small displacement bikes that’s simply unattainable on bigger or more powerful motorcycles. Oh, yeah, there’s more economy to be achieved with them too. The tire expense on a big bike can exceed the total cost of operation on a smaller ride.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom