Motorcycles' siren song...

I should not have read this thread. Had a Yamaha Twin Jet 100 in HS, a Yamaha 650 after college. Sold that to pay for an annual inspection on the airplane in 1977.

Last week, it started out thinking of a 250cc Honda Rebel for a short drive to work. Then I noticed a 650 Suzuki was only a grand more. Quite a few people ride to work.

Then I bought three motorcycle magazines at the grocery store. With me, this is a bad sign, as I tend to study things to death before buying.

Now, I'm retired law enforcement and I've seen my share of ugly wrecks, including seeing a guy get his leg amputated on the street, which encouraged me to sell the 650, and worse, which I won't go into detail.

But still....

I must be nuts, or do it while there's time, that is the question.

I've been caught in the rain plenty of times. When you find the inserts on your boots growing things after a week of constant soaking, you start to wish for a nice enclosed area. I'd still rather ride!

I should not have read this thread. Had a Yamaha Twin Jet 100 in HS, a Yamaha 650 after college. Sold that to pay for an annual inspection on the airplane in 1977.

Last week, it started out thinking of a 250cc Honda Rebel for a short drive to work. Then I noticed a 650 Suzuki was only a grand more. Quite a few people ride to work.

Then I bought three motorcycle magazines at the grocery store. With me, this is a bad sign, as I tend to study things to death before buying.

Now, I'm retired law enforcement and I've seen my share of ugly wrecks, including seeing a guy get his leg amputated on the street, which encouraged me to sell the 650, and worse, which I won't go into detail.

But still....

I must be nuts, or do it while there's time, that is the question.

I agree. RIT should be censored for starting this thread. I found myself looking at this, but in black: Google Image Result for http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Photos/2008_Speed_Triple_1.jpg but cannot justify the cost and gas mileage.

For any considering taking up the [-]addiction [/-] sport I highly recommend:
Amazon.com: Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well: David L. Hough: Books and its sequel. Anticipating what some other dirver/pedestrian/cyclist was going to do before they did it has saved my butt on numerous occassions. Like Walt34 I've seen my share of what happens when you don't pay attention...

DD

I've been caught in the rain plenty of times. When you find the inserts on your boots growing things after a week of constant soaking, you start to wish for a nice enclosed area. I'd still rather ride!

+1. I ride in the PNW year round...

DD

Here's a friendly geezer who seems to be enjoying himself and his motorcycle at AMA's Vintage Motorcycle Days at Mid Ohio.

Attachments

• IMG_0228B.jpg
    IMG_0228B.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 11
Our town, Morgantown WV, just had Mountainfest from Thursday to Sunday last week. Bikers come from all over and it is getting bigger each year. They were expecting around 50,000 bikers this year. The pull to own a bike again gets harder and harder every year. My DH is starting to mention owning one again on a more frequent basis. A lot of the guys that he works with own them and his lunch gang keeps pressuring him to get one. He has the convertible Corvette, but rarely puts the top down. I will encourage him to put it down for now and see how we feel about it next summer.

Cut it out! You guys are making me drool.

Talked with a Harley rider at the gas pumps, a guy my age, and asked about insurance costs ($400/year). He rode to WV from FL.

How about something like this, a classic CT70 for trail riding? I know, I know. Some of you will sneer at this. But it is a lot more fun than many will admit to.

I am looking to get a couple of old chassis, then put in bigger 125cc Chinese engines for a bit more power to go trail riding with my son. A bit slower, and more leisurely ride into the national forest than our dirtbikes. Either way satisfies our urge to ride, and enjoy nature too.

It is surprising how so many people now ride quads, and just tear up the same inhabited areas, instead of venturing deeper into the woods like we do. We have gone 20 miles into the woods, following really tough trails left by forest rangers. Usually, we do not see a soul an entire day. Well, at least not during the hunting season.

Here's the link to Stanley's site

Stanley Buck With His 1970 Ct70 Mini Trail 70

Attachments

• rainforestridep2.jpg
    rainforestridep2.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 166
Very cool! How does it handle on trails? :D

Just picked this up over the weekend.
scoot.JPG

I call it 'Jet Ski on Wheels'! We live in a closed in lakefront community. Lot's of roads and trails, very little traffic.
While the gas mileage is great, around 100 mpg. It would take about 15 years to pay off the cost of the scooter!
It is for recreation. You can justify just about anything for recreation! Insurance 80 bucks a year.

There's a picture of the owner of SmugMug on a Honda Ruckus wearing nothing but a loincloth running around somewhere. They look like so much fun!

We can justify our toys, can't we? :D

Hey, I bet y'all will have great fun with that scooter!

It is easier to pick the scooter up with one hand to reach the filler cap, or is it just more comfortable to lay down next to it and filler 'er up that way?

where do you get riding pants with a 38" inseam?
Culture, take a look at Motoport for really good, high quality clothing, custom made to fit.

No motorcycles but does a dirt bike count?
Of course dirt bikes count. They are motorized cycles, after all. And most of us probably learned to ride on dirt bikes first.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave Back:

Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Don't Wave Back:
Top 10 Reasons Sport Bike Riders Don't Wave:
Top Ten Reasons Why BMW Riders Don't Wave Back:
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
Absolutely PRICELESS!! One of my favorite things is the look on the face of a guy on a tiny little scooter when I wave to him. He's got no clue what to do!

Now, I'm retired law enforcement and I've seen my share of ugly wrecks, including seeing a guy get his leg amputated on the street, which encouraged me to sell the 650, and worse, which I won't go into detail. But still.... I must be nuts, or do it while there's time, that is the question.
Walt, that's a rhetorical question, right? DO IT!!! You won't regret it.

My wife and I just completed a trip around lake Michigan on our bikes:
Dranoel, that's a nice looking pair of Bumblebee V-Stroms. Mine's an '06 red DL1000.

For starters, if you're thinking about a motorcycle there are a couple of statistics I think you might find interesting. For instance, approximately 80% of motorcycle fatalities are alcohol related (on the part of the motorcyclist). The vast majority of single vehicle motorcycle accidents occur because the rider was going too fast in a turn. And despite what the ABATE crew say, helmets really do save lives.

As for MSF courses, by all means take one. And if you've been riding more than a year take their Experienced Rider Course. A more challenging course, ridden on YOUR OWN motorcycle. And if you really want to challenge yourself so it with your spouse on the back. I teach these courses for PA. In 2007 PA was ranked the #1 State Sponsored program in the entire country. And my site (#50 - Linden) was rated in the Top 10. PA residents can take the courses for free. And as AMA has shown time and again, there is a direct correlation between rider education and a reduction in rider accidents.

There is also a direct correlation between increased rider visibility and a reduction in accidents.

What I'm getting at here is that YOU can do a awful lot to reduce your risk to acceptable levels. Ride sober, ride within posted speed limits, ride with a helmet, and wear hi-viz protective gear. Chances are drastically reduced in your favor.

I teach these courses for PA. In 2007 PA was ranked the #1 State Sponsored program in the entire country. And my site (#50 - Linden) was rated in the Top 10. PA residents can take the courses for free.

Wow free?? Even in the Philly area. I've been meaning to take the advanced course. Free is my kind of course, I would even pay for it though.

Sometimes I think of getting rid of my bike. I'm always reading about accidents in the area. I do enjoy it though.

Back
Top Bottom