My first work dream after FIRE

FUEGO

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I had to visit my office for some reason and a few coworkers were there. I was just stopping by to use the bathroom and grab something to eat because I was in the area. It turns out that I was on my sabbatical and DW and I were out for a walk near where I used to work (downtown area near museums and parks).

If I was on my sabbatical in my work-related dream, it still counts as a work dream, right? :D

I used to have these frequently. Not as much now after 9 years of ER. They usually revolve around some unsolvable problem or a meeting I can't find, or a deadline missed. Not pleasant dreams by any stretch.

I used to have these frequently. Not as much now after 9 years of ER. They usually revolve around some unsolvable problem or a meeting I can't find, or a deadline missed. Not pleasant dreams by any stretch.

I've had these as well, the ones where I'm late or unprepared for a meeting. Anxiety related for sure.

Wild Irish Rogue

Once or twice (in almost 6 years) I have had work dreams in which I go back to work after retirement for a visit. I discover in the dream that everything has gone to h*ll in a handbasket, and feel guilty about leaving.

That awakens me immediately, and then instantly I am totally relieved because I know for an absolute fact that I have no reason to feel guilty at all about anything that happened after I retired. After all, I gave them 6 months' notice (SIX!), authored, indexed, and printed out two copies of a 100+ page manual on exactly how to do the toughest part of my job, trained my successor, passed on all files and e-mails that anyone might ever need... it's not like I just split one day with no warning.

I think that the sleeping mind gets confused sometimes, just as though one was under the influence of alcohol or narcotics. That's all it is, for me.

I had to visit my office for some reason and a few coworkers were there. I was just stopping by to use the bathroom and grab something to eat because I was in the area. It turns out that I was on my sabbatical and DW and I were out for a walk near where I used to work (downtown area near museums and parks).

If I was on my sabbatical in my work-related dream, it still counts as a work dream, right? :D

I see that you used terms that should be BANNED from your lexicon on 5 (FIVE!!!) different occasions in a single post. You are now sentenced to an additional 2 hours in your hammock to think about what you've said. :D

At work ... have you ever had a project the required you to violate physics (more power out than in?) That was a normal day at my job, not just in the dreams.
After RE... none... yet.

This dream was very pleasant overall. DW and I were out for a stroll, going on a typical urban adventure as we call it (our destination was Sheetz - the gas station that also serves decent food, coffee, and slushees).

No anxiety or stress in the dream at all. Other than the awkwardness of seeing all my coworkers stuck at work while I was out gallivanting around, it was a very pleasant dream! Not a typical "work dream" that most folks here have.

Maybe this was more of a survivor's guilt dream? I recently saw the same former coworker in my dream at a different company that's right across the street from Sheetz gas station (he switched jobs about the same time I left and he was outside playing cornhole on Employee Appreciation Day or something).

I see that you used terms that should be BANNED from your lexicon on 5 (FIVE!!!) different occasions in a single post. You are now sentenced to an additional 2 hours in your hammock to think about what you've said. :D

Still waiting on regular hammock weather here. There's sometimes a thin sliver of time in the evening as the sun goes down before the mosquitoes come out. Soon it'll be all day. Can't wait for that. :)

Oddly, it was a bit over ten years after I retired that I had a work dream. They wanted me come down and handle an event that needed an immediate response and would have required all my certifications to be renewed instantly. I tried to explain that it would take months to get all the certifications current but they said they'd take care of that. Really strange.

That's the only work dream I've had.

4 years into retirement and I still have work related dreams from time to time. Usually they are personality centered rather than work centered.

In other words, there will be a "special guest appearance" by an old boss or co-worker, often out of context of whatever the plot of the dream is. The other night I had a dream where two department heads from two completely different companies and time periods made cameo appearances together in the same dream. I have not seen or heard from one of the people in real life in over 20 years.

Work related dreams became very frequent for me about 1 year into retirement, and they are less common now.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
I don't recall any work related dreams ever, but I've had dreams involving the people at work.

I had one dream about going on a major cruise and most of the nurses and social workers were on the same cruise. The ship was monstrously big (bigger than any cruise ship in existence!) It was a fun dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I hadn't had a w*rk related dream for years, until last night, when I had a dream about attending a scientific conference where I met and befriended Angela Merkel (who is a former scientist). We shared a bad meal and I paid the bill. We agreed to share a taxi to the airport. I did not press her for her views on world affairs; we just discussed science, and got along very well.

I dreamed about writing a book that highlighted many of the dysfunctional activities that were normal at Megacorp. I suppose that qualifies as a nightmare!

I dreaming on about chapter 6 when I decided to check out the feasibility of such a book. I decided that the effort would not be rewarded by enough financial success. Besides it started to feel like work!

I rarely dreamed of w*rk while at mini-Mega, but I have regular "w*rkmares" in ER. I've been ER'd 6 months and I have w*rkmares a few times a week.

The plot is pretty much the same every time. I retired several weeks ago, but I still go to the j*b and perform my usual duties, except WITHOUT pay! This goes on for several weeks, when I finally decide I have had enough. So, I wonder if I have to tell my former boss that I'm leaving, this time for real! In the last w*rkmare, I decided I could just walk out and never come back because I had already officially resigned weeks ago!

I just realized that this dream is probably inspire by the guy in the Office Space movie. He was laid off but still came to w*rk without pay. To force hime to leave the building, the evil boss takes his favorite stapler, moves him into basement storage, and turns off the lights!

I never have pleasant dreams about old mini-Mega. I hated the place the last 2 years so much that I keep in touch with only a few folks. Although most folks were decent, a small handful of jerks and the toxic environment engendered by top management makes me want to erase all memories of the place.

I guess this is a healing process that will take some time. The dreams seem to be a big part of this process.

Since you have plenty of time now *ahem*, you can also try and take control of your dreams.

Takes a bit of training but it I can be done (I can do it).

Result: No more nightmares! And much more fun in the regular dreams ..

The recurring nightmares I used to have I first changed the script halfway (to a positive non-scary story) and after that they just went away.

So for example, in your case I might change the story to getting a huge paycheck, or even better get in the car and drive to Disneyland instead of work.

YMMV

I had a handful the first six months and happily, none since. Hope it stays that way.

Back
Top Bottom