My train trip to Chiang Mai a la Woody Allenesque

MJ

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
You read Lance's version of the train ride to Chiang Mai.

My version is more in the style of Woody Allen. The sub title is "how I worried myself to a good night sleep".

I went down to the main Bangkok train station Hualamphong 2 days earlier to make sure I got my overnight ticket for a lower sleeping bunk with fan (of course). I found that since I was staying further north in Bangkok, I could get a ticket leaving from the North station at BangSue saving $2.50 (cost of 3 changs). Great. Lugging my daypack and luggage (just exercise), I used the public bus and MRT (subway) to get to the station since being cheap frugal, I would never take a taxi. I wasn't sure how far the station was from the MRT. Would I have to walk 2 meters or 2 km? About 3 blocks from the MRT, I finally found a small the 2 track station. I starting worrying whether this was the right place. A sigh of relief came over me, when I determined that it was, so I waiting for my train. With no one speaking English there, I was worried that I would get on the wrong train. When the train arrived I was assured by an employee using hand signals that this was my train. I hurried to get to my car as I was conerned that it would take off without me. Got to my car, found my bunk and settled in.
The bunk was pretty comfortable and not hot even though I drew the curtains which didn't allow the fan air to enter. I placed my gear inside the bunk. Feeling somewhat relaxed, I then remembered reading a thread on the lonely planet website about someone writing that their backpack was lifted (stolen) by a train employee when the train stopped at one of the local stations. Now, I was worried about my stuff being stolen, so for the 1st 3 to 4 hours when the train stopped, I would wake up and check that my luggage and personal belt were still there. Sleep took over me and I woke up to a beautiful 7am morning and my stuff was still with me.
After the bunks were removed, I had a couple of bananas, a tangerine and water which I brought with me, for breakfast. Damn, I am cheap frugal. I got into some nice conversations with a couple of Americans and a qiwi. The morning went by real fast. The qiwi said he had a cold and coughed a few times so I worried that I would catch a cold from him.

Finally arrived at 12:30PM in Chiang Mai to a hot and glorious day.
Not a bad train ride after all.

To be continued. (if I was working, I would have more leasure work time to devote to this thread)

MJ

If you are worried about having you backpack stolen get a string or small rope. When asleep tie the backback to your ankle or to a part of the bed. If the backpack is moved you will feel it. I'v done a similar thing when traveling with my laptop computer for business. While in the waiting room and taking a nap; I would put my leg through the sholder strap.

dex said:
If you are worried about having you backpack stolen get a string or small rope. When asleep tie the backback to your ankle or to a part of the bed. If the backpack is moved you will feel it. I'v done a similar thing when traveling with my laptop computer for business. While in the waiting room and taking a nap; I would put my leg through the sholder strap.

And take worry out of my life, are you nuts? :D

MJ ;)

Martha said:
Now I am into your story--tells us about Chiang Mai. :)

Finally, someone having a little pity on my attempt at story writing. :'(

MJ :)

I love reading peoples' personal stories here. Maybe it is because I can't write a story for nothing. So--give me Chiang Mai. I never am going to be there in person. :)

Nords said:
Maybe it's a Kiwi who's moved to Queensland...

Thanks Nords. I misspelled it. Yes, it is someone from New Zealand.

Martha
I love reading peoples' personal stories here.  Maybe it is because I can't write a story for nothing.  So--give me Chiang Mai.  I never am going to be there in person.

How about this, Martha? (said in a furtive, smokey voice:)

"It was a dark and stormy night. Martha gazed cooly from her corner of the bar, watching the Farangs having the time of their lives. She too, had stories, but couldn't tell them. Besides, no one would believe her anyway. They were just too.. well... unbelieveable."

Needs work, but hey! That's what Editors are for!  :LOL:

Akaisha
Author, The Adventure's Guide to Early Retirement
www.RetireEarlyLifestyle.com

Back
Top Bottom