My Trip to Thailand Part 1 Bangkok

MJ

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Sawatdee krab, (Hi)

Well, I finally recovered from the jet lag. I can only describe my trip as a quiet visit to Thailand (sorry guys, no Chang bingeing). I went there to see if I would enjoy either moving or at least living there 2 to 4 months a year.
Except for the occasional 1 week trip to a beach location, I haven't taken a trip like this for more years than I care to admit. :'(

I spent 10 days (too long) in Bangkok staying with relatives of a friend's wife. I loved the Thai food and sweet desserts. I got to eat some great home cooked meals. I surprised my hosts with how much I enjoyed the foods they served. Although, I asked them to make the food as spicy as they like, it wasn't nearly as spicy (pet nit noi) as I thought it would be.

I had fun walking around the different neighborhoods, vast non-tourist markets and visiting the temples (wats). When I was away from my host's home, I loved eating out and ate lots of fruits. A large portion of either pineapple, papaya, melon or bananas was only 25 cents. I ate and drank along with the locals, which was at local street vendors. Half the time, I only had a vague idea of what I was eating with the noodles or rice. A nice and delicious meal cost between $1 to $2 and I never got sick during the whole trip. (It's a mirace! :eek:)

Before leaving Bangkok to return home, I was able to get together with Lance, a real good guy. We enjoyed some good conversation, and an ample and delicious dinner with several Changs.

Bangkok is just too congested for me with too many buses and motorbikes causing a lot of polution. :dead: That city needs to introduce safe bicycling to cut down on traffic polution. I couldn't and wouldn't bicycle there which means I wouldn't live there either.

Next chapter, on to Chiang Mai.

MJ

Hi MJ!
Glad to hear you had such a good time in BKK...  See you in your thread on Cmai! (are you gonna tell the whole truth? :eek:  Be kind, now...  :D)

xo,
Akaisha

Welcome back. I wondered how things were going over there. Hope you post some pics of your trip! Look forward to the next chapter.  :)

Did you eat any bodeg (sp)? I can only describe it as fermented (rotten) fish. I know you had fish sauce (thai ketchup). How about pickled pork? Sohm mak hum (sp) (spicy papaya salad with bodeg in it)? My wife (thai/cambodian) loves that stuff but I can't even tolerate the smell :(

justin said:
Did you eat any bodeg (sp)? I can only describe it as fermented (rotten) fish. I know you had fish sauce (thai ketchup). How about pickled pork? Sohm mak hum (sp) (spicy papaya salad with bodeg in it)? My wife (thai/cambodian) loves that stuff but I can't even tolerate the smell :(

At the first dinner with "the" family, there was a fish dish I was about to try when the hostess said "no eat, not for you (farang). I looked at them, smiled and tried some and said, "good (aroi)". They were shocked. :eek: I don't know if it was bodeg, it smelled fishy but not bad. Being single all my life, I am pretty tolerate to many flavors and foods.

I have lived in NYC for 50 years and have never been to Asia. I observed myself after a day or 2 making a somewhat easy living transition from NY (USA) to Bangkok (Thailand). I found that very interesting and encouraging as I would like to try perpetual travelling over the next 5 to 10 years.

MJ

The bodeg I've seen is homemade and stored in an old gallon jar to ferment. The smell is extremely strong. Not really fishy, more like rotten. I don't know how else to describe it. I don't mind new things and different odors, but to me, changing the litter box or changing the baby's diaper is on the same level of odor displeasure with bodeg.

justin said:
The bodeg I've seen is homemade and stored in an old gallon jar to ferment.  The smell is extremely strong.  Not really fishy, more like rotten.  I don't know how else to describe it.  I don't mind new things and different odors, but to me, changing the litter box or changing the baby's diaper is on the same level of odor displeasure with bodeg. 

:eek:
Looks like I will be limiting my travels to North America.

DOG51 said:
:eek:
Looks like I will be limiting my travels to North America.

I was referring to the bodeg at my mother in law's house. In the U.S.

DOG51 said:
Welcome back. I wondered how things were going over there. Hope you post some pics of your trip! Look forward to the next chapter. :)

I wanted to post some of my photos but all are larger than 64k, so, is there an "easy" way to show them?

check out imageshack.us or photobucket.com

free photo hosting.

upload your pics to those sites, then put the link here. I believe imageshack lets you make an album of sorts.

Justin:
The bodeg I've seen is homemade and stored in an old gallon jar to ferment.  The smell is extremely strong.  Not really fishy, more like rotten.  I don't know how else to describe it.  I don't mind new things and different odors, but to me, changing the litter box or changing the baby's diaper is on the same level of odor displeasure with bodeg.   

I know what you mean. I have taken Thai cooking courses in which they take us to the market. There are piles of unrecognizables, each with their own unique smells. Shrimp pastes are very odorous, along with whatever it is that is wriggling in the basket/buckets filled with water...  some students actually passed out  :eek: and had to be taken back to the classroom ahead of time and wait for our return!

Yesterday, Billy and I were at one of our favored noodle shops eating Phad-see-yoo, when our cook lifted a steaming pot and scooped 'something' out and put it over rice.  The pungent odor reached my nose, and I could have sworn it smelled like rotting meat...  :confused: :p But hey.. our meal was good!

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
www.RetireEarlyLifestyle.com

That's weird..I was just wondering when I'd read a report from you and a minute later your post appeared. I'll look forward to hearing about Chiang Mai and other places. I'm also interested in finding a place where I can bike without getting killed or mamed. I wonder if such a place even exists in Thailand ..or any developing country...? Looking forward to your general impressions of LOS as a retirement destination.

Thanks

Pbrane:
I'm also interested in finding a place where I can bike without getting killed or mamed. I wonder if such a place even exists in Thailand

Locally here in Cmai, a bike riding trip up to Doi Sutep is being organized. Nominal fee includes snack, lunch, water and the day's events.  For me, this would be a rigorous bike ride, but I think for MJ, it would be sweet.  ;)

Akaisha

For me, CMai was pretty bicycle friendly, of course this is coming from a new yorker. I rode a bicycle, which was part of the my guesthouse cost, for 10 days and nights. Next time I come, I'll probably bring my own bike with lights for the front and back. I want to make sure they can see what they are hitting. :D Within 3 miles of the town you are in the country with what appears to be safe roads.

pbrane said:
I'm also interested in finding a place where I can bike without getting killed or mamed. I wonder if such a place even exists in Thailand ..or any developing country...?
Watching the motorcycle taxis weave through the queues, I'm amazed that any of them (or their passengers) are still alive.

Dec. 5th is the King's Birthday. Traffic is horrendous right now. Lanes that are clearly built for 2 are currently smooshed into 4 lanes + motorbikes. Wall - to - wall, nose to nose. whew.  :p

Maybe Monday things will calm down?   :confused:

Akaisha
Author, The Adventure's Guide to Early Retirement

Last time when I was in Bangkok, I took the train to a Unesco Heritage site - 1 1/2 hours from Bangkok. It used to be the capital of Thailand, but i forgot the name. It was really nice. I enjoyed it very much and there were not much traffic on the roads. It would be a nice place to ride a bike.

Chan, I think the name of the place is Sukothai... I have not yet been there, but I can recommend Ayutthaya. If you like ancient wats and lots of Buddha 'stuff' this place is memorable. The city is on an inner river island.

I think bike riding there would be something I could handle.. it's flat! My question would be, how would I get that bike into my hotel room?  :confused:

Akaisha

Ah, maybe I should try out Thailand...

Mexico certainly is not feeling very cheap anymore. And seems to be getting more and more americanized.

But I think next week I'll move on from Guadalajara to southern Mexico (Oaxaca state) so that should be a little less developed. Check out the blog in a few weeks time (or sign up for the mailing list if you'dl like updates).

Doug,

Have you visited Xalapa? Tepic? Zacatecas? These places look interesting and not Yankee-fied yet. Zacatecas is said to have few beggars on the streets, which is a good reflection on the economic health of the area, I would think (and would make my wife especially a lot more comfortable).

So, Guad is getting expensive? This is important information.

Cheers.

Ed

Some things are cheap, some things are more than in the USA or Canada. This is the same as Costa Rica of course; if it's imported, it's more. For me that's not the problem. The problem is that most of the people i meet, who are invariably of the middle and upper classes, seem to have embraced the consumerist, more-is-better culture and so they want to spend like we were back at home. In Costa Rica, I found life still generally revolved around family and friends, here I am getting the impression that this is changing...

You could live here quite cheaply if you wanted to I think.

Ahhh... Guadalajara. I have some fond memories from time spent there on a few trips (including a full summer attempting to learn some espanol) back in the early 80's. I lived with a middle class family in a nice neighborhood. But I remember walking to school every morning and I'd play a game of counting how many rats I'd see along the way. And then I wrote my final speech for class on the topic of rodents (trying to be funny) and I'll never forget the look on my teacher's face (disapproval).

I did a bit of travel around the area and one of my favorite little towns was Patzcuaro, where I first got the idea that I could maybe retire early in Mexico, because I had this huge hotel room in a restored mansion with a balcony overlooking the town square for around $5 a nite. Too bad it's no longer cheap there... (is it?)

happy travels

Back
Top Bottom