Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-07-2017, 07:18 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Love our Nespresso!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We are going to have to increase our coffee budget. I never drank coffee at home before but with lattes as easy as a touch of a button, I've averaged 3/day so far!

Old Yesterday, 03:26 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
We are going to have to increase our coffee budget. I never drank coffee at home before but with lattes as easy as a touch of a button, I've averaged 3/day so far!
Is it to late to spring for the cheapest Jura that will foam milk, and cut your consumable costs by 80%?
Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Is it to late to spring for the cheapest Jura that will foam milk, and cut your consumable costs by 80%?
How much is the cheapest Jura machine? At Costco their low end model is $900. My Nespresso Inissia can be purchased for $69, and the pods cost me around .32 cents. I'd have to make an awful lot of espresso to justify a $900 purchase.

My favorite afternoon beverage is a shot of espresso mixed with milk and a tablespoon of Trader Joe's Midnight Moo chocolate syrup that I froth in the separate frother and then blend together with the espresso. Makes a great mocha cappuccino in less than one minute. Can the Jura froth the combined milk and chocolate syrup to make fluffy chocolate milk or would I have to add the chocolate afterwards?

On a separate note, regarding the Nespresso branded pods vs the "compatibles", I think you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference if your typical beverage includes any kinds of mixers (milk, cream, sugar, cocoa, etc). If you're just drinking a straight shot of espresso, perhaps the difference might be more noticeable.
Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post

On a separate note, regarding the Nespresso branded pods vs the "compatibles", I think you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference if your typical beverage includes any kinds of mixers (milk, cream, sugar, cocoa, etc). If you're just drinking a straight shot of espresso, perhaps the difference might be more noticeable.
I tried a different brand in my Nespresso machine. The pods smelled good but the coffee they produced was not quite the same.

Not necessarily worse, because some might prefer the taste. But I just placed an order for Nespresso because the savings weren't that great but even if they cost half of Nespresso, I'm not sure I'd order that particular third-party capsules again.

I may try another brand but for now, sticking with Nespresso and Illy.
Old Today, 12:04 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I tried a different brand in my Nespresso machine. The pods smelled good but the coffee they produced was not quite the same.

Not necessarily worse, because some might prefer the taste. But I just placed an order for Nespresso because the savings weren't that great but even if they cost half of Nespresso, I'm not sure I'd order that particular third-party capsules again.

I may try another brand but for now, sticking with Nespresso and Illy.

My neighbor said the same thing about the third party capsules. But maybe I should try them since I only drink lattes or cappuccinos. Pure espresso is too strong for me.
Old Today, 06:58 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Give me a good cup of black coffee with one sugar and I'm good. If I want to get wild and crazy I add a tad of hazelnut creamer.
Old Today, 08:24 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Based on this thread, I ordered an Innisa with frother from Amazon last week. It arrived on Friday, and I must say, I absolutely love it. I have had Keurigs for years, but this is a whole different coffee quality. I am looking forward to trying various blends.
Old Today, 08:31 AM   #49

We reviewed a lot of coffee machines including Nespresso. We ended up with a Delonghi Magnifica ESAM3300. We prefer a system that grinds the coffee fresh every time. It has been great for the last 7 years. I designed a float system so we do not have to fill it up after 2 or 4 cups. Gets water from the Fridge supply through a filter. I designed a custom bracket for a standard mini float on my 3D Printer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg installed-1.jpg (143.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DelonghiESAM3300.jpg (26.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg completerefillassembly.jpg (73.0 KB, 5 views)
Old Today, 09:18 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
We reviewed a lot of coffee machines including Nespresso. We ended up with a Delonghi Magnifica ESAM3300. We prefer a system that grinds the coffee fresh every time. It has been great for the last 7 years. I designed a float system so we do not have to fill it up after 2 or 4 cups. Gets water from the Fridge supply through a filter. I designed a custom bracket for a standard mini float on my 3D Printer.
You have put us all to shame. That is really taking your coffee seriously.
Old Today, 09:20 AM   #51

Although, aren't you suppose to use filtered water of some kind?
Old Today, 10:52 AM   #52

The interesting thing about the "compatible" capsules is if you read the reviews on Amazon, on average there are four people who rave about how great they are for every one person who says they can't believe how horrible this stuff tastes.

How something tastes is very subjective, and the only way to know for sure is to try it out yourself and see. But the compatibles sell for as low as .32 per capsule, while the Nespresso brands sell for .70 and up, so it's worth giving it a try if you're going to drink a lot of espresso.

Espresso purists would never put milk, cream or sugar in their beverages. For those people, maybe the Nespresso brand really makes a difference. For the rest of us, I think we're not that sensitive to the subtle differences between brands. After all, this stuff is not rocket science. They grind coffee and put it in a capsule. I don't think Nespresso has some unique technology that makes them so much better than everyone else. I think it's mostly marketing in my opinion.
Old Today, 11:06 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Although, aren't you suppose to use filtered water of some kind?
It is Just a simple filter. Same type that is in a Fridge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3938 (Medium).JPG (81.1 KB, 5 views)
Old Today, 11:31 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Agreed! Even the best pod machine (the Nespresso, IMHO) does not equal the quality of the coffee from a machine such as yours or my Jura.

But.... the Nespresso is quite good and certainly 'good enough'. And for many the convenience and variety of coffees available in the Nesspresso line-up is a huge plus. To each his/her own. It's good to have choices and a market place that will meet those choices.
Old Today, 12:59 PM   #55

Honestly, I had various coffee makers, the weak link is having to fill them up all the time. The Delonghi had a nice accessible water tank that could be accessed from the side of the machine. Then finding a float assembly was easy.

These were our criteria:

1) Must grind the Beans (Otherwise it is just instant coffee)
2) Use non proprietary coffee supplies (See 1)
3) Must be completely self contained.
4) Must have a reasonable size and accessible water tank.

Oh! and of course must make a great cup of coffee. Too many coffee makers even the expensive ones taste just like drip coffee. hat we particularly like about the Delonghi is the lovely 1/4" of "Crema" that is created with each cup. We drink our coffee black and really like that. That is NOT, milk it is created by the coffee brewing process itself. "Got Crema"

I was going to market my refill system at one point, but only ever ended up giving it away to friends and family. I have attached the docs in case the adventurous types would like to retrofit their existing coffee makers. I am sure it could be done for a Nespresso Machine.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf test.pdf (1.17 MB, 0 views)