new place, new friends, new activities

uncledrz

Full time employment: Posting here.
Most of our friends became friends through sports (used to play league softball and basketball), work, or through the kids (amazing how many people you can meet through soccer, football and band practice), or an expansion of those circles. Religious services and volunteer work haven't resulted in long term friendships. (That's not negative, just how it is).

We are considering moving to a new location (entirely weather based). Would appreciate some input from already retired or semi-retired who have moved to a new location as to how they developed new circles of friends social activities. Thanks.

In our case it was really easy. We moved to a "55 or better" community last Feb. 1st. On Feb. 6th they had a Super Bowl party at the community center. We went and everyone was very friendly and made sure we felt welcome. We play poker once a month at the community center and I met alot of folks at the swimming pool over the summer. Some of our neighbors have hosted parties which we were invited to and met other new people. My wife joined the bookclub and I joined the chess club. I also have become active in the management of the Home Owners Association. All of these activities have given us the chance to meet a lot of the residents here. We still haven't developed a lot of close friends, but that will come in time.

Grumpy

Grumpy,
You talking about Philadelphia, or some other city/state?

uncledrz said:
Religious services and volunteer work haven't resulted in long term friendships. (That's not negative, just how it is).

Do you have any idea why this would be so? I would like to hear your ideas.

Ha

Eagle43 said:
Grumpy,
You talking about Philadelphia, or some other city/state?

Eagle,

Nope, northern Virginia although DW and I are both originally from the Philly area.

Grumpy

From the posts in this thread and from personal expeirence, I would say it boils down to having something in common. I ride motorcycles and am involved in motorcycle rights, these activities bring me together with other like minded people. Personally, I always have more fun if I'm involved so I am never heistant to volunteer a run at holding an office. There is also the professional side and being in the engineering field, I also participate in two professional organizations and currently hold an officer postion in one of these, was past officer in the other. To sum it up, get involved and have fun.

Grumpy
thanks for the suggestion. when we decide where we finally want to end up, we'll keep an over 55 community (with community room and poker games!) in mind.

CT
we do seem to make friends with those who like activities that we like as well. Probably will try to join with a hiking or walking club (we walk every day), I cycle, and might get involved there too, but DW doesn't.

Ha
wish I knew why. nice people, have been over to our house for dinner and we to theirs, just haven't connected like we have with other people.

Since DW and I walk the neighborhood almost daily, we've met neighbors by going to their yard sales and if it seems right we invite them over for an after sale happy hour.

Back
Top Bottom