nm

Re: A retiree co-worker of mine - dead at 63...............

Perfect planning for me would be for the check Gabe writes to his undertaker to bounce, preferably 80-100 years from now, unless he has kids he wants to leave it to.

Heck, maybe he can build it up to a few hundred billion and take a run at Anna Nicole Smiths great-great-great granddaughter.

Sr. Senor Cute 'n' Fuzzy Bunny said:
Perfect planning for me would be for the check Gabe writes to his undertaker to bounce, preferably 80-100 years from now, unless he has kids he wants to leave it to.

Heck, maybe he can build it up to a few hundred billion and take a run at Anna Nicole Smiths great-great-great granddaughter.

I think you would like Gabe to make his own way in the world. - That is part of the experience. - You can't really appreciate retirement unless you've been a wage slave.

I aint planning on writing any undertaker checks for about 30-40 years, min. I figure he'll have made his own fortune by then or at least be settled in his life, maybe married, maybe with kids of his own. If I can pass on the bonanza of instant FI to him, thats ok.

Whats that saying? You win it, you steal it or you inherit it?

I have been described as a obnonious a*****e before. One of the things I do is attack the people I work with that seem fixated on "having enough money to retire." They are always 67 years old and living on the illusion they need 150% of their current salary to retire. Unfortunately, they usually have car payments and deadbeat kids getting support.

I usually attack them (politely, of course) with the observation I have had that people over 65 that "don't have enough to retire" never will. They leave the work force when they die or become disabled or their wife needs their constant care. There's a guy where I work that is well on his way to 70 that is still saving for his retirement. His health is poor. If he lives with a reasonable life ability for 5 more years I'll be shocked.

Sorry about your friend.
If you have lived in snow country you have probably lost someone you know to "shoveling snow."
Snow sucks   :(

JPatrick said:
Sorry about your friend.
If you have lived in snow country you have probably lost someone you know to "shoveling snow."
Snow sucks   :(

Is that just because it is really hard work, or becaue it is hard work done in the cold?

Ha

HaHa said:
Is that just because it is really hard work, or becaue it is hard work done in the cold?

Ha

I think the lifting puts a lot of pressure on the heart. And people tend to over do it, because they see the end of the driveway.

I've shoveled plenty of dog poop but never had to deal with snow.  :-\  In fact I don't think I have seen any snow in over 5 years.

Sorry about your buddy.

I think about this sometimes when I shovel snow. I kinda like shoveling, (I know, weird), but I do try to take small shovel loads. And I now use a light weight plastic shovel.

I too know people who died shoveling snow.

I have a Snow Thrower, my Dad has had several Girl Friends all whose husbands died within the first two years of retirement. :eek:

Cut-Throat said:
I think you would like Gabe to make his own way in the world. - That is part of the experience.  - You can't really appreciate retirement unless you've been a wage slave.
You're perhaps right, but an idea that just jumped out at me when I heard it ... Someone on the TMF RE forum years ago talked about giving $10k, the tax free gift limit, to a grandchild at age 0 or 1, but putting it in a trust payable to them at age 40 or 50.

Lots of interesting implications.

I've been hand bombing snow all my life. We got off easy this year compared to last.

It's like cutting lawns and doing yardwork.

Some pointers.
1. Make sure you are fit and don't have a beer gut.
2. Shovel for 5 minutes, rest for 1 minute, continue the pattern until done.
3. Always allow yourself enough time so you don't have to rush.
4. Don't be a hero. Let the young guys push out someone who's stuck.
5. Take half an aspirin a day.
6. If you smoke, get your kids to do it for you, or pay a neighbour kid.
7. Keep ahead of the game and don't let it pile up too high. Especially if it's wet and heavy.

Zipper, a Lake Huron Snowbelt Veteran. :D

Zipper said:
I've been hand bombing snow all my life. We got off easy this year compared to last.

It's like cutting lawns and doing yardwork.

Some pointers.
1. Make sure you are fit and don't have a beer gut.
2. Shovel for 5 minutes, rest for 1 minute, continue the pattern until done.
3. Always allow yourself enough time so you don't have to rush.
4. Don't be a hero. Let the young guys push out someone who's stuck.
5. Take half an aspirin a day.
6. If you smoke, get your kids to do it for you, or pay a neighbour kid.
7. Keep ahead of the game and don't let it pile up too high. Especially if it's wet and heavy.

Zipper, a Lake Huron Snowbelt Veteran. :D

8) Move to Florida

I had a former work colleague who while shoveling snow got a mild heartattack. He was out of shape and smoked a lot. I don't particularly like snow but enjoy shoveling snow as I see it is healthy invigorating exercise. When I am on a roll, I even shovel my neighbor's sidewalks as well.

$10k, the tax free gift limit

It's now $11k, I think.

------
My mom is now in her late 70s and keeps shoveling snow. The secret is to go out and shovel multiple times while it is snowing, so you're only doing a couple inches of fresh snow at a time. Waiting until it is a huge sodden or icy mass spells disaster.

When we lived in New Hampshire Base Housing, an Oklahoma boy and a New Orleans Boy (me) were first out, usually, with the shovels while it was snowing. The people who were from cold country just waited until (a) it stopped snowing or (b) we got it all stashed. And yes, it seemed every year somebody died shoveling snow. Snow blowers are life savers.

for 2006, the gifting limit is $12,000.

C_T, sorry about your friend. Life is unpredictable and death can come when you least expect it. Case in point.

I received an email this morning from a widower friend I have corresponded with for a couple of years. The note turned out to from his wife informing his friends that he had died suddenly yesterday. No details, just that he died. It was quite a shock as we had become quite close over the past year due to some issues he was dealing with.

Yesterday we also almost lost a manager here. He had been skiing and after he got home felt bad and had chest pains. Long story short...he had an aortic aneurism. The caught it right before it burst. He is in the ICU now and is in serious conditon.

You never know when your number comes up. You just have to make each day one you don't regret.

What is this thing called "snow" that so many mention on this thread?

poboy said:
What is this thing called "snow" that so many mention on this thread?

Poboy, I'm not sure what it is either, but a retired friend of mine from Buffalo, NY loves to tell a story that he thinks is hilarious...

When he left the w*rking world, he got rid of most of his stuff, packed his few remaining posessions in his car, tied something he called a "snow shovel" to the roof and started driving south. He said he would stop in small towns all along the way and walk around for a while tying to get a feel for where he would like to settle down. One day he pulled into some small burg, parked, got out and someone asked him, "What's that on the roof of your car"?

That's where he now calls home.

SteveR said:
I received an email this morning from a widower friend I have corresponded with for a couple of years.  The note turned out to from his wife informing his friends that he had died suddenly yesterday. 

Sorry, I don't understand :confused:  You received a note from a dead woman?  :eek:

Cut-Throat said:
I think you would like Gabe to make his own way in the world. - That is part of the experience.  - You can't really appreciate retirement unless you've been a wage slave.

Well-said. Then again, there are many brilliant thinkers throughout history who were scions of great (wealthy) families (or married into them) who have brought numerous benefits to mankind. I suppose it really comes down to character, and doing something "constructive" with one's time. This is something my father always drilled into me as a child -- he would always encourage me to go do something constructive, which invariably meant more chores. When I went out on my own, I carried with me that desire to always be doing something constructive.

AUG 12 Moved to our new home in Boston. It is so beautiful here. The rolling countryside is breathtaking. Can hardly wait to see the snow. I love it here.

OCT 14 Boston is the most beautiful place on earth. The leaves are turned all the colors and shades of red and orange. Went for a ride through the beautiful country and saw some deer. They are so graceful, certainly they are the most wonderful animal on earth. This must be paradise. I love it here.

NOV 11 Deer season will start soon. I can't imagine anyone wanting to kill such a gorgeous creature. Hope it will snow soon. I love it here.

DEC 2 It snowed last night. Woke up to find everything blanketed with white. It looks like a postcard. We went outside and cleaned the snow off the steps and shoveled the driveway. We had a snowball fight (I won), and when the snow plow came by, we had to shovel again. What a beautiful place. I love northern Boston.

DEC 12 More snow last night. I love it. The snow plow did his trick again to the driveway. I love it here.

DEC 19 More snow last night. Couldn't get out of the driveway to get to work. I am exhausted from shoveling. ****ing snow plow.

DEC 22 More of that white **** fell last night. I've got blisters on my hands from shoveling. I think the snow plow hides around the curve and waits until I'm done shoveling the driveway. *******!

DEC 25 Merry ****ing Christmas! More friggin snow. If I ever get my hands on that son-of-a-bitch who drives that snow plow, I swear I'll kill the bastard. Don't know why they don't use more salt on the roads to melt the ****ing ice.

DEC 27 More white **** last night. Been inside for 3 days except for shoveling out the driveway after that snow plow goes through every time. Can't go anywhere, car's stuck in a mountain of white ****. The weatherman says to expect another 10" of the **** again tonight. Do you know how many shovles full of snow 10" is?

DEC 28 The ****ing weatherman was wrong. We got 34" of that white **** this time. At this rate it won't melt before next summer. The snow plow got stuck up the road and that bastard came to the door and asked to borrow my shovel. After I told him I had broken six shovels already shoveling all the **** he pushed into the driveway, I broke my last one over his ****ing head.

JAN 4 Finally out of the house today. Went to the store to get food and on the way back a damned deer ran in front of the car and I hit it. Did about $3,000 damage to the car. Those ****ing beasts should be killed. Wish the hunters had killed them all last November.

MAY 3 Took the car to the garage in town. Would you believe the thing is rusting out from that ****ing salt they put all over the road.

MAY 10 Moved to California. I can't imagine why anyone in their right mind would want to live in that God-forsaken city of Boston.

rs0460a said:
Sorry, I don't understand :confused:  You received a note from a dead woman?  :eek:

His widow was using HIS computer so the email was from his address.  It was quite a shock to be expecting to read an email from someone you have talked with for a couple of years only to find out it was his wife sending out a message to all his friends to tell us about his sudden death.  

Back
Top Bottom