nm

Re: Just finished closing the deal on my new Lexus Ride!..............

WOOF!!

awesome! I've got an '05 gs300. Mine's a straight 6, I guess the new ones are v6. Nice car, congrats.

Is this the one that parallel parks itself?!? I want a report!

dc

Dogcliff said:
Is this the one that parallel parks itself?!? I want a report!

dc

No that is the new LS - This has a parking assist. (Beeps when getting too close) - ALso a backup camera.

Very nice. I was drooling over a 2006 Avalon the other day. Can't justify buying it though. I take my retriever for rides to the lake so no need to get something nice that a wet dog is gonna mess up. :( Probably buy a Envoy or Trailblazer next year.

Dog52:

A Honda Element is the perfect wet-dog car

Wohoo!!
Grats on the wheels. I have a 2006 IS and love it.
Enjoy the drive :D

Nice Ride! I rode in my friend's new IS350 this weekend up in Big Bear, Lexus has mastered the smooth ride, even on those snow ravaged roads it was a dream. That rear camera was very handy for tight spots, too!

I bought the competitor's equivalent 2 months ago. An Infiniti M35X... with V6 and AWD as well. Wonderful cars. Haven't had a chance to try it in the snow.....yet, but goes like stink on the mountain highways in the Rockies.

On the way other end of the scale, I just got a new Prius. It's a bit of a tin can, but one with great mileage. And it has the rear-backup monitor -- I think they had to include it because too many people were getting run over when the car is in electric mode and isn't making any noise when it backs up :eek: Oh, and nobody gets the stated 60 mpg around town driving, but it still is pretty good.

ESRBob said:
On the way other end of the scale, I just got a new Prius.
We have that on the radar in the next couple years-- probably early 2008. Is yours a big step up from the 2004 model or just incremental improvements?

You'll have to let us know if you decide to boost the battery pack and hack the software to make it a plug-in...
http://www.economist.com/science/tq/displayStory.cfm?story_id=7001862

ESRBob said:
On the way other end of the scale, I just got a new Prius. It's a bit of a tin can, but one with great mileage. And it has the rear-backup monitor -- I think they had to include it because too many people were getting run over when the car is in electric mode and isn't making any noise when it backs up :eek: Oh, and nobody gets the stated 60 mpg around town driving, but it still is pretty good.

Seems like a back-up alarm like construction trucks would be cheaper! :D

Cut-Throat said:
No that is the new LS - This has a parking assist. (Beeps when getting too close) - ALso a backup camera.

Can you tell me exactly where the camera lens is? I can magic-marker them, or place a sticky dot over it when I see one :LOL:

No, seriously, it's probably good for really old decrepit people who don't look behind when they back up.

we got 3 cars over the last few months. i took a bmw x3, my son took an infinity g35x and my wife a murano. i think we are propping the auto industry up all by ourselves.

ESRBob said:
I just got a new Prius. it has the rear-backup monitor --

Sorry to hear that. Was the surgery painful? Is the new one a lot bigger?
It can see the rear back-up monitor would come in real handy. :)

JG

ha ha jg
yeah, it helps you navigate your way to the john without pasting a rear-view mirror on your shoulder :D.

nords -- i was really intrigued by the hymotion aftermarket product which got me over the hump to buy the Prius instead of waiting for a new crop of high efficiency diesel cars. Swap out the prius battery for a fancy new one, plug the car in at night and drive up to 25 miles a day on battery alone. I'm going to keep watching that and other options for a few years, though, and then decide. Turns out the whole thing revolves around getting cheaper electricity rates at night, which not every utility does. Ours lets you choose, but with that election also comes extra-high rates for electricity during hot summer days. Too new and too many variables right now!

I know Prius owners of the 2002/2003 vintage say the new ones are a big step up, but I don't know when the change was made, and whether 2004 is pre- or post those changes. This is where my not being an engineer starts to show...

ESRBob said:
nords -- i was really intrigued by the hymotion aftermarket product which got me over the hump to buy the Prius instead of waiting for a new crop of high efficiency diesel cars. Swap out the prius battery for a fancy new one, plug the car in at night and drive up to 25 miles a day on battery alone. I'm going to keep watching that and other options for a few years, though, and then decide. Turns out the whole thing revolves around getting cheaper electricity rates at night, which not every utility does. Ours lets you choose, but with that election also comes extra-high rates for electricity during hot summer days. Too new and too many variables right now!
Same here, although 25 miles is just about perfect for Hawaii driving. (Instead of jumper cables I'd carry a really long extension cord.) It'll all come down to money-- I'm still trying to figure out the right conversion factor between miles/KWHr and gasoline miles per gallon.

ESRBob said:
I know Prius owners of the 2002/2003 vintage say the new ones are a big step up, but I don't know when the change was made, and whether 2004 is pre- or post those changes. This is where my not being an engineer starts to show...
2004 is the "second generation" of the U.S. model of the Prius. For example, the 2004 model's air conditioner runs off an inverter instead of an engine belt. (I'm not sure if earlier Priuses could run the A/C unless the engine was also running, which is a pretty big deal around here.) The 2004s also have a bigger battery, more horsepower, a computer map on the dashboard, and some other engineering tweaks. I don't know if your backup camera is an incremental improvement on the 2004s or if 2006 represents another big model change. But keep us posted on its performance!

Prius

I own a 2004 Prius and love it. My parents bought a 2006 Prius, so I have driven both. The differences are minor... new backup camera, mp3 ability in CD player, slightly more durable interior plastic panels on the dash, and the dash speedometer display is slightly reformatted.

My mileage typically varies between about 38 and 49 mpg per tank, averaging about 43 mpg. The worst mpg I ever got on a tank was 35 mpg, which is better than most cars get on their best tank!

That's a beautiful car Cut-Throat. Congradulations on several of you for being of the means to buy these cars without issue. And i mean that because I know most of you guys are more than frugal.

I'll have to be happy with my new Fit for now, because I just cant meet all of my financial goals and buy something nicer. Oh well!

Azanon

Azanon said:
I'll have to be happy with my new Fit for now, because I just cant meet all of my financial goals and buy something nicer.
Do what my husband does--he kinda smirks at the owners of gas guzzlers when he gases up his Prius. Once a month.

Anyone bought a 2007 Camry? I like the new look. I can't afford a new Lexus or Avalon but a Camry without all the bells and whistles can be justified.

Attachments

• CAMRY.jpg
    CAMRY.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 8
  • CAMRY.jpg_thumb
    21.5 KB · Views: 1

Cut-Throat said:
You can't go wrong with a Camry. - This is the car that took down the most major corporation the World has ever seen; - General Motors! - It has to be damn good to do that!
Yes, I even have $2500 credit from my GM Credit card but I just can't get fired up about a GM car. A Trailblazer or Envoy, maybe. But the gas mileage sucks on those. Thats why I keep coming back to the Camry. What's a fool to do? :-\

Dogs,
THe Camry now comes in a hybrid, which may be worth a serious look. Toyota has the hybrid stuff working well now (5 or 6 years in) though it is new in the Camry, that is true.

Astro -- I was thinking about that question today -- I've had my Prius 2 weeks and am halfway through the tank, and was wondering how often my average between fillups will be (whether the last two weeks have been normal usage etc) -- I reckoned that it might be as much as a month, and still can't quite believe it.

DOG52 said:
Yes, I even have $2500 credit from my GM Credit card but I just can't get fired up about a GM car. A Trailblazer or Envoy, maybe. But the gas mileage sucks on those. Thats why I keep coming back to the Camry. What's a fool to do? :-\

Pontiac Vibe......it's a corolla with Pontiac trim........ ;)

Back
Top Bottom