Old racehorses still want to run?

Pride only hurts, it never helps.

Took ten years to learn that lesson. Living many years of accomplishment builds an ego that isn't easily brought under control. Still learning, but letting go makes for more happiness. Have to be careful, though, 'cuz it just takes a little slip, to wanna get back in the race.

I didn't ER because I disliked the achievement, accolades and rewards. I ER'd because I didn't like the aggravation, stress and time it took to get them.

Think about why you ER'd.

A week ago I had an email asking if I would be interested in doing some consulting for a company- $XK for a quick project. I hated that the offer even came.

I get my summers off now, and have no interest in working for the $. I didn't ask how many weeks of work they expected, because it doesn't matter. I will work on stuff that I want to work on. I don't need more $, because those $ are usually attached to expectations that I do not want to deal with.

What I find to be a challenge is that I now see many companies that could really benefit from having some competent engineering assistance. But, it is not my task to fix their problems.

Isn't being successful enough to retire early the ultimate career accomplishment?

Brewer - I think my husband may be feeling a bit of the same. He talked himself into a project that is basically tilting at windmills... (Very low odds of success). I'm ok with it - as long as he doesn't negatively impact the family on his quixotic quest. If he's successful - I'll be proud... but I'm proud of him for trying anyway.

I think some folks are just wired to need to problem solve, fix things, take on challenges. I'm grateful to not feel that need. :)

I'm still stuck in the rat race so I haven't had this issue come up yet. I don't think it will though. I really don't care about status anymore. I just want to get enough money to buy my freedom asap.

I am not married and have no kids. Maybe that has something to do with it. With no legacy to worry about running up the score seems pointless to me.

At work they have been trying to encourage me to go into management for a few years now but I have no interest in it. I'd actually rather have a demotion so I could work less. That isn't going to fly though.

I'll probably be stuck working another five years, then retire at 45. Living expenses around $28k, brokerage income currently $25k. Should be able to get income to $27k this year, then around $31k next year. I think I need at least 20% more than living expenses to be safe. So around $33,600. Should be possible in another 2-3 years (42-43).

It happens to me, so I understand your statement. My life has been fun, but it has not been full of career accomplishments.

I think it is pride, but we are men, and pride makes evolutionary sense, so at least some of us are going to feel it's prodding.

Ha

I never had a desire for recognition of accomplishments, and quite honestly I don't know why. I remember one time about 10 years ago I notified I was one of 5 state regional award winners and I told them to meet and vote again. I am not going and will not accept it. They couldn't believe it. But they should have as I never bothered to attend any of the meetings from the association that voted me the winner. I always thought my yearly raises and 2 year contract rollover every year was all the recognition I needed.
Retirement suites me fine. I get plenty of personal satisfaction and recognition out of blowing my drives 50 yards further down the fairway than my 70 year competitors (who also get to hit from the ladies tees) and taking their money. 50 year old retirees are in short supply around here in the local senior leagues and I am taking full advantage of it. :)

As my career closes I often feel nostalgic and that I have not done enough and have left something on the table.
Until reading the post from Aerides;
'Miss that stuff too?'

I am going to post that in my file for future reference.

Given that my last real accomplishment was successfully spelling "Antarctica" in Miss Olsen's 3rd Grade class, I don't anticipate this being a problem for me.

Last edited:
Given that my last real accomplishment was successfully spelling "Antarctica" in Miss Olsen's 3rd Grade class, I don't anticipate this being a problem for me.

:LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
I retired last year after 36 tax seasons, the last 22 as a Trust Officer in a private trust company who was responsible for the tax returns and planning for the clients. Every year I w*rked at least 2 weeks of 80+ per week and usually late on 4/15. This year, I prepared tax returns for 3 people outside of my family. I left for a "vacation" April 8th!
I am glad I can still do tax returns (and the pay covered most of the cash needs for 3 weeks on the road!), but I never want to go back. A road trip covering 4400 miles over 3 weeks would have sent me to the nuthouse before, but now it was fun (though parts of Texas are quite boring when the scenery doesn't change for 6 hours!). My resources will last for my lifetime and should grow, but if the market goes to h*ll, we will just cut our spending and live on SSI and an annuity knowing that we had fun while it lasted and still have each other.

I never had a desire for recognition of accomplishments, and quite honestly I don't know why.

I wonder if it has anything to do with competitiveness. I was a decent athlete in my younger days, and enjoyed the game and the physical exertion. But I never really cared that much whether I/we won or lost, although winning was always a bit better. That made me a mediocre teammate for my more fanatically competitive peers. And while I always prided myself on doing a good job when working, I never tried to achieve anything great. I even turned down promotions that would take me out of my chosen tech area and into management. And I've adjusted to ER with an almost scary ease and pleasure. Maybe it's all be tied together.

Doesn't mean you made the wrong choice, or can't make a new career choice. New location and new job means you get to start at the bottom, at least for awhile. The question is, how long/hard do you want to work to get somewhere with a new career.

I struggle with a long term assignment, then coming back to your former job. I long for the days of more responsibility, more action, etc. but I don't miss the stress, or the drive, the unwinnable positions and having less control, and setting ourselves up for failure from the start. I missed the family, missed coworkers, both personally and professionally. So, it's easy to miss the con's, and remember just the pro's.

What are you going to regret more? Not getting back on the treadmill, or are you going to miss feeling of some productivity mixed in with the office politics, BS, etc. Part of it, to me, is just the "devil you don't know". If you're financially set, you can try something and move on, but then I just fall into that rut, constant movement or trying new things. Just depends on whether you see that as positive or negative.

Speaking of movie quotes, Slap Shot: The unemployed hockey players wife, was it? Thinking about getting a job: Shirley Upton: "Johnny always says you can just drink so much and screw so much."

A person has to find something to do. There may be something you've specialized in, and like doing, you're good at, etc. Try to find a job doing that. It's good to hire engineers and project managers that missed their calling as accountants, for instance. Meticulous, numbers minded, hopefully good people skills, etc.

-CC

Last edited:
Isn't being successful enough to retire early the ultimate career accomplishment?

+1

FIRE has been my crowning career accomplishment, part engineered system, part gutsy intuitive call. In retrospect, I wanted to do this even before I was 10 years old, but I just didn't know that it was called "retirement" and how it could be done. I've always wanted to go my own way, but had to follow orders in school, then university, then grad school, then work... Finally, time to live! :dance:

I actually enjoyed my w*rk, but the w*rkplace BS was killing me. I'm learning to step away from so called accomplishment and am focusing on living as a human being in community with DW and friends. It's a big change for this introverted geek, but it has been a wonderful!

FB

I wonder if it has anything to do with competitiveness. I was a decent athlete in my younger days, and enjoyed the game and the physical exertion. But I never really cared that much whether I/we won or lost, although winning was always a bit better. That made me a mediocre teammate for my more fanatically competitive peers. And while I always prided myself on doing a good job when working, I never tried to achieve anything great. I even turned down promotions that would take me out of my chosen tech area and into management. And I've adjusted to ER with an almost scary ease and pleasure. Maybe it's all be tied together.

As the old adage goes "in the end, you're only competing with yourself." This applies to sports AND to life in general. If you feel like you have left something undone or want to contribute again, don't ignore the feeling. It will only fester and cause you to doubt your decision to retire. In reality, retiring is exactly what you wanted to do at the time, so it was the right decision. Feeling differently several months or even years later is a sign that you want to do something different yet again. Embrace the feeling and figure out what it is that YOU want to do. Don't worry about what everyone else is doing, or worse, what people expect from you. You don't need external validation. It's not worth the price you'll have to pay.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom