Omaha Steaks? :-(

My sister sends me a Christmas Omaha Steak sampler each year. Chicken breasts, misc steaks, stuffed potatoes. I don"t respond to their marketing offers but do enjoy the gift. Never had a bad batch yet.

What's the chant we always hear when a super high-ranked team goes down: "OVER-RATED"!!!!!!

Also got them as a gift. They were OK but prefer Costco for steaks.

As for calling them to try to get a replacement steak, I'm not really that worried about it. The steaks were a gift, so it's not like I'm out some money.

One other thing I forgot to mention was that the steak was not a nice deep red color like the steaks I buy at my local HEB. And I'm not buying the super choice stuff-- just the regular, run of the mill cheaper top sirloin. But they are RED. This thing (a NY Strip, allegedly) was really pale and sad looking from the get-go.

Anyway, I think I'll feed the others to my dogs, or maybe my mother-in-law! :LOL:

Got some assorted stuff from Omaha Steak Co as gifts over the years and never had a problem with quality like you describe. Sounds like there was something wrong with yours, and the color should have been a good indicator. I'm astounded at the prices they ask for "regular price" and even at the deepest discount I've seen they still seem pricey for what you get. But since I get mine for free, I've never had a complaint.

I have received their products a couple of times as gifts (not recently however). I remember enjoying the fillet mignon wrapped in bacon and also the stuffed sole, or maybe it was flounder. I eat red meat about once a week. I try to buy free range from local farms (sold frozen in a few places, including farmers markets) but sometimes purchase a small steak or some ground Angus beef from the big regional supermarket chain. My favorite "neighborhood" family market (in business since 1903) with the custom meat counter that I used to patronize on my way home from work has gone the way of the Dodo. It was always crowded, but closed shortly after all the Wal-marts opened up. I went into a minor tailspin when this happened.

Never had Omaha steaks, though I have been tempted to try.

Recently, on a business trip, had a dinner at a well-known steak house chain. One steak, a salad (which was extra), side order of fries (also extra), a glass of run-of-the-mill red wine, a shot of Cognac (not XO) to finish it off. Including tax and tip, the bill ran to near $100. :nonono: Well, at least it was not my money I was spending.

What made it bad was that the meat quality was about the same as I usually have at home, bought from the local grocery store.

Did I happen to have a bad cut of the lot? Or perhaps a crooked cook in the kitchen substituted in a "grocery store quality" cut, and pilfered the better meat to take home for himself?

I dunno, but at the price that was charged, will not come back to try again.

Were these in a true deep-freeze (the kind you defrost), or a frost-free type freezer?

The frost-free go through a heating cycle to melt the ice, and it's not kind to things for long term storage. Even if a deep freeze, I try to keep steaks for less than two months - I start to notice the difference by then (not 'funky', just not as good as 'fresh'). I wouldn't put 'em in a frost free type unless I knew I was eating them that week.

-ERD50

I am a big fan of steaks, and have bought from Omaha a few times with the $30-$40 dollar specials. I would rate them very good for the most part, but not great. Bristol Farms has the best steaks around here, but cost up to $30/lb. Omaha is more on a par with the best of regular supermarkets (Stater Bros here in SoCal), but Stater Bros has regular steak sales - porterhouse or ribeye for about $4/lb, filet for $8 - and is my most common steak source (porterhouse last night). Although I am a big Costco fan, I am (probably unfairly) leery of their butcher meat after 2 experiences with their pork loins - so tough even I could not eat them (my dogs had no problems finishing them though).

I've had them before - received as gifts, not bought. They were very good. Not the best meat that I have ever had, but still very good. I suspect that you got a bad piece - so take them up on their 100% satisfaction guarantee.

It's been over a decade for me as well. I enjoyed the items, but they were pricey and not the highest quality. Large premium for convenience. The main reason I discontinued purchasing thier items was the massive quantity of junk mail solicitation from the company. I think there is/was an Omaha Steaks store near me in Gaithersburg, Md

I got a box as a gift once, I think it was 4 sirloins. They were good but nothing special, I've had far better in every high end steakhouse in Chicago. And I looked up what they cost online, and I'm sure I could get the same quality for much less at the local butcher (or better quality for same price). Right or wrong, I concluded the appeal is an easy gift to give for a remote (or lazy) gift giver...

One other thing I forgot to mention was that the steak was not a nice deep red color like the steaks I buy at my local HEB. And I'm not buying the super choice stuff-- just the regular, run of the mill cheaper top sirloin. But they are RED.
HEB is good for everyday steaks, but if you want a good selection of really good steaks you have to go to HEB Central Market. You pay more, but they have a better selection of higher grade meat - not to mention more knowledgeable butchers. Every time I have tried to talk with a butcher at the regular HEB I wind up educating him. Go to Central Market and I get schooled by the real butchers.

For those that buy these "preimum meats", if you have any extra to contribute to an old, retired person? Please call me direct at 555-1212 and I'll tell you where you can ship your bounty to me :LOL: ...

Did the math on their cornish hens and they work out to just under $27/pound.
Porterhouse, $43/lb for the 2.25 inch thick, $50/lb for the 1.25 inch thick.

OK, sounds like sticking to COSTCO is a better deal, then. :LOL:

At those rates good local butcher shops are not in danger.

For me it is Costco, Wholefoods or the local Italian market. I try not to freeze food as much as I used to.

Back
Top Bottom