OMG! Who needs to go out to eat!

I would add Italy and Spain to the list. Yes, food is a good reason to travel. It only costs money.

Yeah - I think my new rule is "Who needs to eat out at home in the US". The original rule changes quickly when you visit certain countries in Europe.

Of course if we travel to certain locations in the US there are regional specialties difficult to recreate at home due to availability of ingredients. Thinking of Elliot's Oyster House!!! (Seattle).

Oops - I forgot I have rosemary too! ;)

I know you jest, but I do actually add herbs as I find myself using them regularly. I find that thyme, oregano and basil are the three I use most often at this point.

I'm another fresh herb fan. Mint, thyme, oregano, parsley, chives, and rosemary are all perennials here. For some reason, my basil has not reseeded as it usually does so I need to get another plant as I use it a lot - I pick all the leaves left before the last frost and freeze them on a cookie sheet, then put them in ziploc bags in the freezer to use all winter.

I don't use oregano as much as the others - what do you use fresh oregano in? I have a massive plant so pretty much an unlimited supply of it.

...Of course if we travel to certain locations in the US there are regional specialties difficult to recreate at home due to availability of ingredients. Thinking of Elliot's Oyster House!!! (Seattle).
In our last RV trip, we stayed for a week at a timeshare near Ocean City. We had a chance to visit Lytle Seafoods to get the fresh oysters that they dig off their own farm right behind the shack, and source to restaurants. Ah, huge grilled oysters for the 1st course that night. And they happened to have sturgeon that was caught off the Columbia River! Talk about being lucky. When is the last time anyone sees sturgeon for sale in grocery stores? In restaurant dishes?

I did not have all the "stuff" I needed at that timeshare, but still managed to make a heck of a meal.

Last edited:
I'm another fresh herb fan. Mint, thyme, oregano, parsley, chives, and rosemary are all perennials here. For some reason, my basil has not reseeded as it usually does so I need to get another plant as I use it a lot - I pick all the leaves left before the last frost and freeze them on a cookie sheet, then put them in ziploc bags in the freezer to use all winter.

I don't use oregano as much as the others - what do you use fresh oregano in? I have a massive plant so pretty much an unlimited supply of it.

Q: How do you reseed basil? I pretty much give up at trying to contain the sprouting seeds at the end of each year, cut off everything, make a hugh batch of pesto that I then freeze or give out as gifts, and replant it again in the spring.

Regarding oregano: I add it to salads, pizza, pasta dishes, lasagna, bruschetta, pesto and soups, all of which I make fairly frequently. Anything where basil would work, works for oregano pretty much.

Q: How do you reseed basil? I pretty much give up at trying to contain the sprouting seeds at the end of each year, cut off everything, make a hugh batch of pesto that I then freeze or give out as gifts, and replant it again in the spring.

Regarding oregano: I add it to salads, pizza, pasta dishes, lasagna, bruschetta, pesto and soups, all of which I make fairly frequently. Anything where basil would work, works for oregano pretty much.

Propogating basil by cuttings might be easier than trying to collect seeds.
Scroll down halfway on this page...my online search was "propogating basil by cuttings".
Basil Propagation: How To Propagate Basil

I grow the small bushy type in small pots, year round in my grow room. I find it has a more delicate flavor than the classic large Italian type. Whenever I need basil, or stems get too long, I get the scissors out and give it a haircut. I never let it go to flowers or seed.

Q: How do you reseed basil?

First, I stop pinching the tops off in September and let the plants go to seed. Some of them I will harvest the seeds when the tops are dry, let them sit on some paper towels for a day, and put in a ziploc until early spring. I usually (although not this year) plant some seeds in a small pot and grow them inside until they are 2-3" tall. Others I just toss out into the beds and rake into the dirt in March.
I also let several plants just stay in the ground until the seeds blow off naturally - these are the ones that have reseeded for several years but this year I got only 1 plant (last year I had a dozen).

:facepalm: Don't know why I didn't think to try this! Thanks!

If your interested in cooking this free course from Harvard might be of interest.

https://www.edx.org/course/science-cooking-haute-cuisine-soft-harvardx-spu27x-0

I've already calibrated my oven using the melting sugar method in the first lesson.

Wow, what a terrific learning portal to add to my collection (Coursera, The Learning Co, etc.).

I've just enrolled to audit this course. Looks very interesting, as does the list of visiting chefs.

BTW - You might enjoy Chef's Table on Netflix if you've not yet seen, a six part documentary on six cuisine-defining chefs, one of whom, Dan Barber of Blue Hill Farm, is also a visiting chef for the Harvard learning series.

You could sell a million cookbooks with photos like this one. Yum!

Thanks!

I've been practicing and getting better each time. The family is the judging panel that rates my bbq after every time.

Pork Shoulder is more forgiving and 'easier' than say brisket - that is 'tough' to get right.

Lot's of left overs - just made a sandwich after sweating in the back yard doing some gardening.

I will say that this pulled pork is *mighty* good!
Pulled-Pork-Sandwich.jpg

Tender, just the right amount of smoke, the rub coming thru at the end with just a bit of heat behind the sweet tang of the sauce - that and the crispy crunch you get with the coleslaw.

It is wonderful to see so many people really into eating and cooking good food, and for the cooking, challenging food. I always enjoyed seeing to it that my kids got good food on the table without a lot of waiting. My wife was an excellent Euro-style cook, but she did take her time about it.

My cooking lately has become more and more streamlined, pretty good, damn fast, and no need to think about very much.

No way can I read a recipe, or even the weekly flyer with specials at various stores. Today I did finally figure out how to make a quality low effort-in-preparation chicken cacciatore. It does have to be started simmering well before you are going to get hungry.

So now I will have a chicken entrée, as well as lamb chops and various manifestations of hamburger. My favorites are wild fresh (never frozen) fish. This gives a constantly changing menu as different runs of anadromous fish come and go, different seasons for different crabs, etc. Like religious people avoiding meat during Lent, I stay off oysters May through August. The bartender at my favorite oyster bar says that these varieties in Puget Sound are good all summer, but when I have tried them they don't seem good to me. Anyway, variety is the spice of life. A little doing without makes it sweeter when you get it.

Ha

If your interested in cooking this free course from Harvard might be of interest.

https://www.edx.org/course/science-cooking-haute-cuisine-soft-harvardx-spu27x-0

I've already calibrated my oven using the melting sugar method in the first lesson.

Thanks for posting this - I just finished the first lesson but will leave the homework & lab for later. It will be good brain-stretching to exercise some of the math and science I haven't used in [-]years[/-] decades!

I love this thread because the simple delight of having time to cook and eat delicious, healthy meals at home has been one of the most pleasant surprises of ER for me. While working, I was constantly eating on the fly and lived in an urban area where take-out and home-delivery were always on the nightly menu.
Same here... never thought I could cook when I lived so long on takeout and microwaved meals, but it's been a lot of fun since ER. I like that I can just go to the grocery store every day or two if I want and get vegetables and meats, then cook it up the same day, all fresh.

Same here... never thought I could cook when I lived so long on takeout and microwaved meals, but it's been a lot of fun since ER. I like that I can just go to the grocery store every day or two if I want and get vegetables and meats, then cook it up the same day, all fresh.

Wow... this reminds me of when I was a teenager and was a sacker at the grocery store.... there was a group of people that basically came in every day and would buy what they were going to cook that night... they were 'known' by most of the people and would get good cuts of meat from the butcher and help from others.... they also had their favorite checker... I would see some get in a line just so they could see their checker...

Yeah - I think my new rule is "Who needs to eat out at home in the US". The original rule changes quickly when you visit certain countries in Europe.

Of course if we travel to certain locations in the US there are regional specialties difficult to recreate at home due to availability of ingredients. Thinking of Elliot's Oyster House!!! (Seattle).

We've only eaten dinner in a restaurant one time while in Sicily... But that's because we've been shuttled from one cousins house to the next for dinner. Each pulling out all the stops on amazing food.

Last night we were given these calzone type things - one with bits of fresh anchovy, some onion, and a local cheese.... the other with cheese, local olives, and fresh tomatos. In addition we had these amazing fried up anchovies, a wonderful greenbean dish. And then finally fresh cherries.

The night before we had homemade arancini (stuffed rice balls - AMAZING), eggplant parmiagiana, home-made vegetable pizza, etc... The three daughters of my husband's 2nd cousin Maria are competive with each other and they were trying to impress us.

We move onto Bologna and looking forward to eating out there!!!! It's supposed to be a serious foody town.

Here's a new (to me anyway) take on sous vide cooking. I expect a report from you sous vide enthusiasts soon!

https://www.yahoo.com/food/does-dishwasher-cooking-really-work-your-125858003251.html

They say it is 'similar' to sous vide. I'd say it's similar in the same way that performing an appendectomy is similar to trimming a branch off a tree. They both involve cutting.

Sous vide uses a controlled temperature, within a degree or two F, for a very specific result. A dishwasher can cook some food, but you don't know what you are getting time/temperature-wise.

I've got my temperature controller set up ( a cheap ebay/amazon aquarium thermostat/probe with a socket wired to it). I have not tested it with my manual control crock pot yet, I should check that out.

-ERD50

Bought a stainless pan set and decided to try it on steak... DW and the kids are away, so only me... not a great pic from my tablet... oh well...

Already ate one before taking the pic on the second... yes, I am a pig....

Attachments

• 2015-08-14 21.51.28.jpg
    2015-08-14 21.51.28.jpg
    395.2 KB · Views: 29
We almost don't eat out anymore as my DW is anti-GMO and a health nut. We buy prime rib steaks at Costco and cook in in cast iron grill .. much better than the restaurants. We also buy lean organic chicken and grill that. Lamb from New Zealand should be almost organic too, and tastly to grill.

Anyway, today, I told my wife that Hardees was offering the first grass-fed, no-hormone, no-antibiotic all natural hamburger. So I pad $10 for that burger. The regular Hardee thick burger combo was around $6.80s and this all natural burger was $9.80s combo. It was ok.

Back
Top Bottom