May not go out to eat —— ever

* Although she does not clean up. That is my exclusive realm. I believe that I have proven to be quite a satisfactory scullery maid over the years.

That's us. I'm the cook & DH's the mop up guy. My reputation of being a messy cook (I am) has been greatly exaggerated .

I enjoy cooking, but we've been doing take-out twice a week or so. :cool:

Going shopping at Costco this afternoon and will get hot pizza and rotisserie chicken. Good deal for quality. Hoping they have salmon and lamb for the grill later. Will not be going to restaurants again.

In all cases several customers at each restaurant reported they tested positive after visiting the restaurant. Once becoming aware of the contamination the owners closed their doors and started to sanitize. They also said they wanted their employees to get tested. Did not say it was required in order to work at the restaurant.

Cheers!
OK - wow. So customers became ill. If they can truly pin it on the restaurant I would think exposure to other humans the most likely way they contracted COVID-19, rather than some contaminated surface or utensil. But of course any restaurant is going to sanitize after closing due to an outbreak. But it’s most likely workers or other customers spreading the disease.

So tricky, people comfortable visiting restaurants might very well be out and about doing other things in public...

Exactly - so difficult to pinpoint the restaurant. Multiple customers contracting COVID-19 certainly makes it more compelling, but still.

The bathrooms are open in restaurants so we put on our masks and go inside to use them.

OK - wow. So customers became ill. If they can truly pin it on the restaurant I would think exposure to other humans the most likely way they contracted COVID-19, rather than some contaminated surface or utensil. But of course any restaurant is going to sanitize after closing due to an outbreak. But it’s most likely workers or other customers spreading the disease.

I vaguely recall an article some time ago about the COVID spread in a restaurant from one diner to others due to the ventilation setup. It was somewhere in Asia. The problem was not surface contamination, but being "downwind" from the infected person.

I vaguely recall an article some time ago about the COVID spread in a restaurant from one diner to others due to the ventilation setup. It was somewhere in Asia. The problem was not surface contamination, but being "downwind" from the infected person.

Or if there are restaurant customers getting sick who were there on different days then that might mean an employee of the restaurant has the virus and is spreading it --a typhoid Mary type situation.

Yes that was in China, Wuhan I believe. The contract tracing done after the event, showed a diagram of the seating at the restaurant, air flow direction from the air conditioner and marking on the diagram of those who did and did not contract the virus from the diner who spread it. Some did not even enter the restaurant until after the spreader left, yet they contracted it, while others who were not downwind from the ventilation system did not become I'll.

How does a person find out if a restaurant has employees that have tested positive? Do states require that be made public?

How does a person find out if a restaurant has employees that have tested positive? Do states require that be made public?
I think they’re required to notify other employees, without disclosing which employee (HIPAA?), they believe have been exposed but not customers. Some are doing so voluntarily as a courtesy, but not required to my knowledge. Ask any restaurant before you go.
Here's why businesses do not have to tell employees, customers if a worker has COVID-19

ABC11 viewers continue to report businesses are not disclosing when an employee tests positive for COVID-19. You may be surprised to learn they are not required to by law.

"Obviously we want to protect people's personal medical information. So there is not a requirement for an employer to be sharing another employee's health status with them," North Carolina Health and Human Services Secretary Dr. Mandy Cohen said.

Instead, it's just physicians and testing centers that must report all positive cases to the state and/or local health departments.
https://abc11.com/coronavirus-nc-hippa-laws-covid-19-can-my-job-tell-me-if-someone-has/6100581/
Employment lawyers said they were not aware of any laws obligating businesses to disclose cases to customers, but Ennis said there is a chance companies could be vulnerable under negligence laws.

Last edited:
Counties with less than 11 cases are not even reporting cases (publicly) in some states due to medical privacy concerns. So yea, HIPAA is an issue.

Back
Top Bottom