OMY Coming to an end.

Jerry1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
A couple years ago at work, I went to part time. On balance, it has been a good deal but I felt 2018 was it. A couple months ago, my boss started talking about workforce reductions of 15% and in that conversation I raised my hand and volunteered. Getting let go will provide a severance and continuation of benefits equal to one year's salary/benefits. Just retiring would not provide anything like a severance. Fast forward a bit and boss put my name forward and it was accepted. Today, he confirmed that the date of termination will be January 16th or 17th (I guess with a mass firing, it will take two days).

Anyway, I'm excited, scared and thankful to the people and information contained in this forum who have helped me get ready for this moment. I'm sure I'm much better prepared for this than I otherwise would have been without you.

I turn 57 a couple days after so it looks like I snuck in under the wire - retired at 56 (plus 360 days)!

Thank you!

Congrats Jerry1, enjoy the severance package and the gateway to retirement. You are going to love it!!!

Awesome Jerry. A part timer getting a severance. Sweet!

Congratulations on hitting the severance lottery.

I am daring my megacorp to offer one up this Spring. I will jump on it as you did. They do this every few years to get rid of us stale high-salary types. Either way I am out of here in 2018.

My Megacorp used to offer buyouts to older workers.

Now they just lay us off. Minimal severance. I wouldn't mind if I get listed.

Congrats, Jerry! I’m hoping for the same stroke of good fortune (but given the fantastic bull market, I can’t complain!).

Good for you. Congrats.

There is nothing that is better than wanting to retire early, being in a financial position to do so, AND winning the lottery with generous exit package from your employer. Beats a gold watch or a rubber chicken dinner every time!

Good for you. Congrats.

There is nothing that is better than wanting to retire early, being in a financial position to do so, AND winning the lottery with generous exit package from your employer. Beats a gold watch or a rubber chicken dinner every time!

Absolutely! Congratulations and enjoy your retirement!

A couple years ago at work, I went to part time. On balance, it has been a good deal but I felt 2018 was it. A couple months ago, my boss started talking about workforce reductions of 15% and in that conversation I raised my hand and volunteered. Getting let go will provide a severance and continuation of benefits equal to one year's salary/benefits. Just retiring would not provide anything like a severance. Fast forward a bit and boss put my name forward and it was accepted. Today, he confirmed that the date of termination will be January 16th or 17th (I guess with a mass firing, it will take two days).

Anyway, I'm excited, scared and thankful to the people and information contained in this forum who have helped me get ready for this moment. I'm sure I'm much better prepared for this than I otherwise would have been without you.

I turn 57 a couple days after so it looks like I snuck in under the wire - retired at 56 (plus 360 days)!

Thank you!

Congrats! :dance:

Congratulations! I love reading stories like yours.
Yes, you'll be scared, but you'll get over it. Enjoy the transition.
That first Monday when you don't HAVE to roll out of bed - it is just priceless.

Back
Top Bottom