One year ago today

Taxman59

Full time employment: Posting here.
One year ago today, I started my life over. After 34 years of working, putting the needs of my employer and clients ahead of my family's, I walked away to start a new life where I put my personal needs (which includes my wife and children) above all else.

During that year, I went on a 4 week vacation (the first 10 days with no electronic contact and the remainder a minimal amount) where my wife was the only person who mattered. It renewed our relationship, and reminded me why I got married. After the vacation, we settled down and took day trips and short overnight trips when we wanted. We then took a second 4 week trip where we saw parts of the country we hadn't been to before. And finally, the past 4 weeks of free time has allowed me to care for my wife while she recuperates from a fall and a broken ankle. If I was still in the position of putting my employer and clients first, I wouldn't have been there for her. I know of no salary that is enough to cover that.

I have let my hair grow out to the point that I am about a month away from having it long enough to donate to Locks of Love to be made into wigs. O0 Unfortunately, I have a wedding to attend next weekend and I don't think my long hair will go over too well in the photos, so I will get it cut this weekend (it is too hot for the summer anyways!).

Some parting words of advice to my friends:

To those who have already retired - life is good isn't it? :cool:

To those who are just starting out in their work life - work hard, save as much as you can (but still have fun), and know that things are nice, but memories are better.

To those on the edge - jump in, the water's great!! :dance:

Thanks to all of you for being a part of my life.

One year ago today, I started my life over...

To those who have already retired - life is good isn't it? :cool:

Excellent post, and CONGRATS!!!! To answer your question I am sorry, but NO. Life isn't good...it is absolutely FANTASTIC. I really didn't know just how happy I would be in retirement. My expectations have been [-]dashed[/-] DESTROYED!!! I really can't think of a time (besides being about 12 years old and having ZERO cares in the world) that I have been happier. :D

I would say life is content. And it's a different life. It's been about 14 months, been exceptionally, personally productive, and doesn't seem like I ever worked. I would have to agree that immediately upon retiring I was struck at how much just about all of my own life had taken a back seat to working. I just couldn't do that again.

Congrats and hope your wife recovers soon!

Back
Top Bottom