On the path 9

dex

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Two months into RE - I'm in LV - Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas -

The idea to live life with style and excellence came to me as I observed peoples’ dress and their weight as I have been traveling around. Granted the majority of the people have been in tourist areas but not all. Generally, the clothes being worn were wrinkled, old, ill fitting, mismatched and uncoordinated. Most people dress terribly. The other is that there is definitely an epidemic of obesity in this country. This got me thinking about the idea of style, living a life of excellence and my plans.

The point is not that we should dress better, although that can help in many daily interactions. The key idea is that there are many small actions and choices we make that influence our lives and our interactions with other people on a daily basis in our RE lifestyle. In the business world we are acutely aware that our dress, language – written and spoken and other presentational aspects influence our success and mindset. This is something that should not be forgotten in RE.

It would be very easy for me to dress in tee shirts, old jeans and ratty shoes while I’m RVing. I have been wearing the old jeans but not the tee shirts or tatty shoes.

I described my goals of how I want to live my life in a previous post. It is not the one represented by those who dress poorly. I resolve to dress better because little things influence how our lives and how people interact with us..

But more than that I resolve to make sure I am living a live of excellence. I will practice this in my actions. This is not a new idea and Aristotle has the answer.

According to Aristotle, how are the habits and character of excellence in human beings attained?
People have a natural capacity for good character, and this capacity is developed through practice. A capacity does not come first (i.e., it does not precede an action)—it is developed through practice. Arete is a disposition developed out of a capacity through the proper exercise of that capacity. Habits are developed through acting; a person's character is the structure of habits and is formed by what that person does.
I think the importance of this concept is that some may think that RE is about doing whatever you want to do. Can you live certain parts of your life shabbily and other parts with excellence? I do not think so. I think you must attempt to live the whole of your life with style and excellence. I resolve to dress better, exercise regularly and lose 5 lbs.

This is not a concept we have not seen on this board however we may not have recognized it at the time. The Adventures of Tioga and George site lists his values. I believe this is an important step in a successful RE. I will work on mine.
http://vagabonders-supreme.net/ValuesIndex.htm
http://vagabonders-supreme.net/

dex,

Your post reminds me of a spoof I saw years ago. Interviewing a well-known socialite, the reporter asked her what her pet peve was. "The clothes that poor people wear" was her response. "Have they no fashion sense?" ;)

Clothes don't necessarily reflect who we are; too often they reflect what others want us to be. Living a life of excellence is a noble goal. Just remember that Aristotle often went naked. :)

dex said:
Two months into RE - I'm in LV - Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas -

I resolve to dress better, exercise regularly and lose 5 lbs.

Add to that a resolution to increase your charitable giving and you'll have something........  A well dressed, fit gentleman who looks beyond his own needs!  ;)

Back
Top Bottom