Votes: 11 34.4%
  • about the same

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • worse

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • much worse

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters
Basically after leaving work (1993) - I stopped getting sick - no flu, colds,sinus, headaches, BP went down, no hangovers from work hard, play hard with the boys, etc.,etc.

Now in the 12th year - BP is back up - Doc says too much net surfing/not enough kayak. Age 61/62 may have something to do with it also.

Exercise every day; health's gotta be better. Find out tomorrow. Big physical, et al. I hate the 12-hour fast, cause I miss my early a.m. coffee. So I reward myself by a huge breakfast after the exam.

Eagle43 said:
Exercise every day; health's gotta be better.  Find out tomorrow.  Big physical, et al.  I hate the 12-hour fast, cause I miss my early a.m. coffee.  So I reward myself by a huge breakfast after the exam.

I hate the 12 hour fast too. Last time ( 3 months ago) I took along a
Starbucks Frappacino to drink as soon as I was out. When I signed in
they had a bowl of peppermints on the counter. I was about to pop one in my mouth when a nurse jumped me (about the mint. Nurses
don't jump me any more. There was a time though). :)

JG

unclemick2 said:
Basically after leaving work (1993) - I stopped getting sick - no flu, colds,sinus, headaches, BP went down, no hangovers from work hard, play hard with the boys, etc.,etc.

Now in the 12th year - BP is back up - Doc says too much net surfing/not enough kayak. Age 61/62 may have something to do with it also.

Hey unclemick! I feel your pain man, being the same age and all.
It's kind of unseemly to lay out your ailments and infirmaties for all
to see. No complaints, but most everyone will deal with it eventually.
I never thought I was immortal, just didn't expect to be reminded
every day.

JG

My fitness routine prior to my layoff has not changed. I still go to my gym 2 to 3 times a week. I did add a third 1/2 set to my weightlifting since time is not an issue. I am still riding my bicycle everywhere but I lost my enjoyable 20 miles a day commute. I make it up with other trips.

I've lost weight, and eat a healthier diet. OTOH, I've developed some unexpected physical disabilities that affect what I can do. Very frustrating. I don't think I like this aging process very much.

Better! Working on much better. There's more time to exercise now, don't have to get up at 5:30 to go to the gym, but more traveling makes it more difficult to keep a good routine. Also, eating better now, more home cooking because we have the time.

Since FIRE in March I've worked out 5-6 days a week, three or four days cardio and two days strengh training. I also attempt (not always sucessful) to eat more whole grains, fruts, veggies, and less red meat. I feel my health is better since FIRE. I do have a long term concern regarding health care since both my knees have been replaced. But for now am under my wife's healthcare plan.   :)

About the same. Prior to retirement I swam almost every day after work. Now due to shoulder and elbow trouble I swim every other day and walk (3 to 5 miles) on the other days. It is much more enjoyable since I don't have to rush through a workout to get home for dinner. I can get to the pool during the day when it is usually empty. I get more sleep now and rarely get a cold or any other illness.

Grumpy

grumpy said:
It is much more enjoyable since I don't have to rush through a workout to get home for dinner. I can get to the pool during the day when it is usually empty.

Grumpy
Grumpy, you have nailed it. I worked out every day when I was employed. The difference is the pleasure now of not rushing. Also, now it's a social occasion. You see a lot of the same people every day.

BTW: Wonder why all those people I see in the club every day aren't working. Who gave them a pass? They can't all be ER'd.

Much better. In fact since this post I've lost another 10 pounds and another 10-20 points of blood pressure.

Back
Top Bottom