Poll: Individual SS Payment for ER.ORG Members - Please Read First Post for Details

How much SS do you get per month as an individual in the USA?

• Less Than $1,000

Votes: 10 5.3%
  • $1,001 - $1,500

Votes: 12 6.4%
  • $1,501 - $2000

Votes: 12 6.4%
  • $2,001 - $2,500

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • $2,501 - $3000

Votes: 23 12.3%
  • $3,001 - $3,500

Votes: 28 15.0%
  • $3,501 - $4,000

Votes: 22 11.8%
  • Greater than $4000

Votes: 23 12.3%
  • I do not get or am not eligible for USA SS.

Votes: 30 16.0%

• Total voters

ShokWaveRider

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
OK, another SS Post (We seem to like them). I thought it may be informative to see what each of us gets in SS. That is individual not family or household. The Max payment for 2023 if claimed at 62 is $2572 and $4,555 if claimed at 70, according to the SS web site.

If you wish to state your actual SS and/or that of a spouse/partner in your household, please do so in a post as opposed to adding them together for the poll. When you received your SS (62-70) is not really relevant for this poll's purposes, but feel free to post that info if you wish. I claimed mine at 69 and My "Young by 5 Years :)" (Where do I keep seeing that? :rolleyes: ) DW claimed at 62 per Opensecurity.com and gets $1,336, that will go down later this year when she is eligible for Medicare. I worked for 24 years in the USA and mine is currently $3,214 after the Medicare deduction and a small WEP from my Canadian Pension (CPP).

The Poll is for each individual ER.ORG member who wishes to participate. Please, this is intended only for each member's USA SS payments to you the participant. NOT for Pensions or Other income or Pensions from other countries.

Last edited:
I claimed at 62 and currently receive $2488/mo. The young wife will never receive any sort of social security - not her own, not spousal, not survivor (thank you GPO).

I'm leaning heavily on starting SS benefits at 69yrs old, that's 6 months from now. My benefit would be $2,840 per month. If I hold out until 70yrs old, it will increase to $3,059.
If we collect when I'm 69 years old, I will get $2,840 and my wife will get $1,434. Total per month $4,274, or $51,288 per year.

Just looked at the poll, seems a pretty even spread.

Neither DH nor I have claimed yet.

DH has the higher earning record and will delay until 70 to maximize the survivor benefit. DH is actually much healthier than I am, but he's delaying for my peace of mind. (He has strict instructions that if I shuffle off this mortal coil early, he is to file under my work record and let his grow until age 70.) He is not a money manager, and I don't want him to stress, I just want the largest amount possible to show up in his checking account. He will then spend it on the kids and grandkids. If he ever needs assisted living, I don't want monthly fees to be an issue.

My last statement from SS was incorrect, as they refused to believe that I had retired, and estimated that I had made my 2021 salary in 2022.

I started an application for an online account, and just received a temporary pass word via snail mail but haven't had time to fiddle with it yet. I don't intend on claiming now, but I would like to look at it. Soon . . . soon . . .

Can't vote.

DW gets $1400 monthly from SSDI, and I haven't filed, although I am FRA. I'm supposed to get $3300 a month now or 4220 at age 70.

Mine is $859.50 gross. After deducting Part B and 10% tax my net is $625.50.

I worked full time from 1977 to 1984 and then I was a full time mom. In 2006 I started a minimal part time job specifically to finish my Social Security credits. That happened after about 2 years and then I continue the part time job because I enjoy it. Also, adding to my years of income gets me a tiny increase in my SS benefit every year.

DH never finished his SS credits. Instead he has a state pension. He will never get anything from my SS due to GPO.

My wife gets $827/mo, that is the reduced amount from $1,050 due to WEP once she started drawing her UK SS. No Medicare payments because we live overseas.

I will be claiming my SS in about 18 months at age 70. I will also have WEP applied but not as much as my wife as I paid into the system for more than 20 years and WEP declines after 20 years and gets to zero at 30 years.

DW gets just over $600/month before Medicare deductions start this spring.

DW just started collecting at 63, 1281, I am planning on waiting until 70 and the current estimate is 4328.

Due to WEP I only get 425/month and claimed it at 65.

Not old enough to claim, being a few months shy of 60, so cannot vote. I plan to hold off until 70 unless circumstances, like a massive market drop, dictate otherwise.

Mine is $859.50 gross. After deducting Part B and 10% tax my net is $625.50.

I worked full time from 1977 to 1984 and then I was a full time mom. In 2006 I started a minimal part time job specifically to finish my Social Security credits. That happened after about 2 years and then I continue the part time job because I enjoy it. Also, adding to my years of income gets me a tiny increase in my SS benefit every year.

DH never finished his SS credits. Instead he has a state pension. He will never get anything from my SS due to GPO.

Does that mean he doesn't qualify for medicare as well ?

I worked as an assistant professor at LSU for a while after finishing my PhD. LSU has (or had?) an arrangement where you could either contribute to SS, or have the money put into a 401K.

Being a complete and utter brain-dead moron, :banghead: I chose the latter. Then when it became enough, I bought a car with it and stopped riding the bus. (Divorce, dontcha know... the quickest path to brains of pudding and financial armageddon). So, none of those relatively higher paying years counted when figuring my SS amount.

Granted, it was nice to have a car at the time, but sheesh! :facepalm:

So then, once I mentally matured to the level of a five-year-old, I could see how that affected my SS. I tried to make up for it by waiting until I was 70 before claiming SS, which brought up my monthly deposit to $2,130. Apparently the average amount for retirees is $1839, so I'm happy with what I get.

Claimed at 62 and now get $733.50/month, $136 after deductions. My last year of taxed SS earnings was in 1991. 31 years ago - Wow! Thank you SS. Thank you real estate.

Took mine at 62 getting $2478/month.

Not sure when DW will claim...

Haven’t taken it yet as controlling income for ACA. My FRA amount is 3367. We will probably take mine before FRA. As mine and my wifes will pay all our bills plus some and we will have a nice amount of money in our retirement accounts and other various accounts to BTD. Although the wife is still concerned we will be destitute and on the streets pushing around a shopping cart.

Last edited:
I claimed at 68 years, 5 months and collect $3,493.90 gross each month. I was going to wait until 70 to claim but Social Security planners showed for a single person it didn't make much sense. If I remember correctly, I believe Open Social Security showed 68.5 as my optimum time to claim which is what I did.

DGF does not collect yet due to ACA income juggling but will claim next Dec for a Jan 2025 first check. Her current estimate shows a payment of $2,665 gross per month. She will be 65 years and 6 months when she claims with an FRA of 67.

Claimed my WEP adjusted SS benefits at age 63 largely to enable my minor dependent sons to collect benefits through their high school years. My wife has not yet claimed hers, she may wait until 70 unless she has a health scare. Due to govt pension offset, I'll never be entitled to any benefits under my wife's record nor her from my work record.

I get $4,299.80 - claimed at 70. Not sure where I went wrong missing the max.
DW gets $1.258.80 - claimed at 62.

Back
Top Bottom