Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What are the most important ingredients to a fulfilling retirement (pick 3 or less)?
Money 128 72.73%
Activities (hobbies, volunteering, travel, etc.) 71 40.34%
Family 55 31.25%
Friends 47 26.70%
Health (exercise, mental & physical health) 156 88.64%
Location (climate, relocation, etc.) 20 11.36%
Spiritual Life 10 5.68%
Other 5 2.84%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-25-2010, 07:49 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Voted for money, family and health. Money makes it all possible. Health is essential for a good life. Family makes it all worthwhile. If there was a 4th choice, I would have gone for activities. My volunteer work keeps me engaged in life and part of something bigger than my own little world. You know, kitties, do-gooder stuff and all that jazz.

Peace,

Purron

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2010, 07:55 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Health, money and other. Health is a must otherwise it is going to be really terrible everyday. Money is another must - not wealthy but adequate to maintain the lifestyle I've chosen - otherwise why should I retire? Other means enjoying time on my own. Family and friends have their own priorities and may leave you for various reasons. There will be many times when I have to spend the day or days alone and it is important that I like myself and enjoy being with myself alone. Of course, I spend a lot of time with my DH but still there are many hours in a day when I am on my own or even a week or so like when he travels.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:23 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I only chose one : health
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:26 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I put health at #1. I found it hard to check money because it's vague. If "money" means having the basics for survival, of course I'd check that. But if "money" means having money for discretionary spending, then I'm not so sure that I wouldn't put family and friends first. I'd rather live a modest life but healthy and in the company of those who I love and cherish than a wealthy life in ill health and alone.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:29 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Though I am only semi-retired, I allowed myself to vote. Health, money, and family, in that order. Those are most important for a happy retirement.

Hey, wait! The above make for a happy working life too.

PS. Provided that you don't have a work environment like Brewer's, of course.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:39 PM   #26

If I have health, money and some friends, I'm a happy gal! And if I have to pick the most important, like everyone else, health!
Old 11-26-2010, 03:30 AM   #27

[QUOTE=travelover;1004635]Not sure which category this fits in, but I think the most important item is the ability to adapt to ER. If you are bored or stressed from guilt it ain't no fun.[/QUOTV

Very cleverly put!
Old 11-26-2010, 03:39 AM   #28

First, health. Spiritual life and family on the same level of importance.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:28 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
I chose Other as one of my choices and for me that means planning for retirement. I couldn't imagine retiring without significant long term planning for that event. Health and Money were my other choices.
Do you want to know how to make the gods laugh? Have a plan... the long-term, the better.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:53 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Activities, Friends, and Health
Old 11-26-2010, 10:47 AM   #31

Health is #1 for me and DW. Without that, none of the others are enjoyable. Or at least as much anyway.

Money is somewhat important, as someone else mentioned I don't want to be thinking about how to pay the electric bill, but beyond the basics that simply buys more options. But for DW and I, whether a dinner out is at Bob Evans or Bavarian Inn (a pricey German restaurant) does not materially affect our lives.

Family and friends are extremely important to us, and whether the time together is spent at a back yard cookout or a trip somewhere is fairly irrelevant to us. Given a choice we prefer the back yard cookout type gatherings.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:01 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
MONEY
Health
friends
Old 11-26-2010, 12:16 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
If you have a link or a citation to that study I'd love to read it.
Me, too. I confess I never saw the actual study itself, only a newspaper article about it. It was a prominent topic of conversation around the O club for weeks.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:49 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
If you have a link or a citation to that study I'd love to read it.
Don't hold your breath (wink wink). My ex-Army CO father who retired 28 years ago and his remaining ex-military friends would be amused by the "study."

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:14 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Indeed, "man proposes, God disposes" and we do well to keep that in mind (by not feeling too superior about being a planner!).

Still, He gave us the ability to plan, and (I opine) made the consequences of NOT planning even worse than the consequences of planning.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Do you want to know how to make the gods laugh? Have a plan... the long-term, the better.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:48 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

1. Health
2. Money
3. Spiritual Life (does not necessarily mean religious)
Old 11-26-2010, 04:51 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
I didn't check Money, but only because it's just a way for me to have the level of Location and Activities which I want. Health is #1, of course.
Sounds just like me. Great health lets me live in the remote place I love, doing the things I like to do.

I am kinda estranged from my family, and I make friend easily. Spirit is a part of my life that couldn't be separated from the whole thing.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:58 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

I chose other to mean engaged and purposeful living. Health...yes. These are the prime two that everything else follows.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:57 AM   #39

I chose money, health and other with other meaning a good partner to share your retirement with.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:02 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I chose health, friends ( which to me includes family ) and money . Retirement for me would be very boring without the friends & family to enjoy .