Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How much do you travel?
I travel perpetually, I am away from home more often than I am home. 7 2.92%
I plan at least 3-4 big trips per year and take smaller trips away from home every chance I get. 40 16.67%
I plan 1-2 big trips per year and take several smaller trips throughout the year. 109 45.42%
I try to take 1 big trip every year or two and some smaller trips when I can. 53 22.08%
I rarely if ever travel, I like to stay home. 31 12.92%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-16-2019, 09:53 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My DIL’s brother arrived from Poland and it took him 3 hours to clear customs at San Francisco. I once flew to Thailand when I was 20 years younger and I wouldn’t do it now. Europe is far enough. Once going to Europe instead of being a 12 hour flight due to late planes, etc it took us from Wednesday until Friday morning their time to arrive in Poland. Then no sleep for us because they lost our luggage and we had to shop for clothes for my son’ s wedding the next day. Was exhausted the entire 10 days.

Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2019, 10:53 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
Agreed. If Scotty could beam me there instantly (ignoring the recent thread discussing whether I would die each time) and beam me back home to sleep in my own bed each night, I'd be up for going almost anywhere.
^ Ditto !!! No long term commitment, no travel hassle. This would be perfect and yes, I would do lots of travel under these circumstances.

Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:10 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
My dream trip, besides a private jet (that I don't feel I can afford), is to cruise to distant lands (Australia , Europe, Japan) tour around the country for a month, and then cruise back.
Would need to fly within the US, but at least they are short flights, and no customs at that point.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:11 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
And cross the ocean on a cruise ship, arrive without jet-lag rested.
Although going over, you'll be getting that paper on your pillow every so often that says you're getting short-changed by an hour. But that's just a good excuse for a nap (as if you need one while cruising).
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:59 PM   #65

Quote:

Yeah, that'll work.
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:21 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

We travel via plane to far destinations twice a year with 2-3 3000-4000 mile road round trips. Mostly Chicagoland- Phoenix area to from snowbird place.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:33 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Even with a repositioning cruise, you still have to fly one-way across the pond. And if you were like the elderly couple in their 70s, whom we saw at CDG yesterday standing inline for more than 2 hours and getting nowhere yet close to an immigration agent to stamp their passports, all that peaceful rest would evaporate quickly.

And speaking of jet lag, both my wife and I have no problem with it. Even after flying to a new place with almost a 12-hour difference, we readjust quickly. I came home late at 2AM from Europe with a 9-hour difference, and did not sleep until 5AM. Woke up at 7AM, and my daily activity so far is not different than if I never left home.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:15 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

According to this study, people are happiest when they spend according to their personality types. Extroverts tend to to like spending money more on travel and entertainment more than other personality types -

Can Money Buy Happiness? It depends on who you are and how you spend it.
https://globalnews.ca/news/3558697/m...lity-spending/
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:56 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Even with a repositioning cruise, you still have to fly one-way across the pond.
Not if you go over in the Spring, stay, and come back in the Fall.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:00 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Quote: "The numbers showed that the more people used their money to buy goods and experiences that fit their personality, the more likely they were to report higher levels of satisfaction."

Sums us up...we don't like to urinate money away on 'stuff' we neither need nor want.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:14 PM   #71
Full time employment: Posting here.

I haven't been to the airport since retiring 4 years ago, but I'm surprised by how strongly folks hate the air travel experience. When w*rking, I did a fair amount of long haul travel. I couldn't say I enjoyed it, but I didn't think much of it because it was just part of the j*b.

Now in retirement, we drive for snowbirding. Although the 14 hour days in the car can grow old, if the trip is long enough then, then the overall pain isn't bad. We drive mainly because of flexibility and the ability to carry tons of food (restrictive diet) and hobby crap. It's also nice to get so see parts the US we wouldn't normally visit hopping airport-to-airport.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:26 PM   #72

We have never really minded the airport procedures. They are in place for our safety. Those folks work hard and besides, working with the pubic is no joy. Having the trusted traveler pass helps. But even in countries whee we cannot use it I cannot say that we have experienced more than a 30 or 40 minute line. Often much, much less. We did ten flights on our trip past winter, ten airports, 7 security lines. Never an issue really. In a few cases, Australia, we were past security and immigration in about 5 minutes flat. I can think of only once in 10 years or so that we had a one hour wait. And that was because of a security alert as we landing in London to change planes. Suits running all over the show, then uniforms.

We are in our late 60's. I can see a time when we may not want to travel as much however air will always be part of our travel equation simply because of where we live. The question will be how often, and for what duration of flight.

Two things that has made our travel so much easier has been downsizing to carry on only and obtaining the Nexus trusted traveler cards.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:53 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Not if you go over in the Spring, stay, and come back in the Fall.
Or a person could take a Cunard ship as they run pretty much weekly between London and NY.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:38 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

I don't mind standing in line, that's just a matter of having the appropriate level of expectation. I don't particularly enjoy the booking process because I tend to be indecisive, but I get through it. And the day before I start finalizing my packing list and doing the packing, I find myself wondering why I booked the trip, hehe! Once I actually start packing, I'm better, and once out the door I'm energized and eager.

The worst part for me is the risk of acquiring disease in enclosed spaces. I used to fret over on the ground decisions about where to go and what to do at the destination, and I'm still not great at that, but getting better at that.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:02 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Or a person could take a Cunard ship as they run pretty much weekly between London and NY.

I would do that in a second if they were not so formal .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:13 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I would do that in a second if they were not so formal .
+1 As people who, (except on extremely rare occasions and then only at the behest of others), eat in the buffet, and have only casual attire, 'formal' is viewed as pretentious and unnecessary.

Old 05-17-2019, 04:27 PM   #77

I'd like to travel more, but I'm just too darned cheap. Recently, it was looking as if my very affordable rent situation in the SF Bay Area was about to come to an end. My plan B was to either buy an RV, or a van and convert it to a camper, for full-time living. As it happened, it looks as if my rent will remain affordable for the long term.

This puts me in a bit of a bind. For years now, I have wanted to try traveling and living in a camper or small RV. When it looked as if I was about to become another statistic and be pushed out of a high COL area by rising prices, the consolation was that I could use the changing circumstance to justify life on 4 wheels. Now that my affordable rent situation is about to be virtually guaranteed for the long term, it's hard to financially justify purchasing a camper/RV. Currently, my only vehicle is a bicycle. The step up to motorized transport would bring several extra bills.

I find it hard to spend money when it's not necessary. SIL reminded me yesterday that life is short and, if I'm not careful, I could end up regretting not having fun when I was relatively young. She's probably right, but it's tough being overly frugal!
Major Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:14 PM   #78

I've done two international trips this year, have a third planned in late July.

Now I'm tempted to do another because of business class airfare sale to Europe in July and August.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/prem...c-2-100-a.html

Problem is that I'd return from my July trip and then turn around and go back to Europe in less than 3 weeks.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
1/3 Travel?
Old 05-17-2019, 05:16 PM   #79
Dryer sheet wannabe

1/3 Travel?

I used to travel in the 150 nights per year range. Marriott said 142 per year for the last 21 years was my average.

Seems like the habit continues
So far this year
Jan: Canada for a week or so
Feb: Beijing & Tucson
March:Italy
April: Nashville & Copenhagen (consulting)
May: Wichita & Dayton (hobby stuff)
Planned:
May: Singapore
Aug: New England/Montreal
Aug: Bangkok and UAE (I know it will be hot)
September: ?
Oct: Beijing & Shanghai
Orlando
Dec: Christmas & New Years in Sydney.

When the DW or I get bored, we start looking for something interesting. Deals on flights or hotels will also trigger a look.

Last year was a couple weeks in UK driving and a two week Christmas market trip to Europe in Dec.

15 countries and 135 or so days last year.

Full service hotels with an executive or club lounge and on from there.

80% paid, 20% points.

Likely keep it up as llong as its fun.
Global Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:25 PM   #80
Dryer sheet wannabe

I will reroute almost anywhere to avoid CDG.

Global Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote