Poll:How much do you travel?

How much do you travel?

• I travel perpetually, I am away from home more often than I am home.

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • I plan at least 3-4 big trips per year and take smaller trips away from home every chance I get.

Votes: 46 17.9%
  • I plan 1-2 big trips per year and take several smaller trips throughout the year.

Votes: 117 45.5%
  • I try to take 1 big trip every year or two and some smaller trips when I can.

Votes: 56 21.8%
  • I rarely if ever travel, I like to stay home.

Votes: 31 12.1%

• Total voters
I would do that in a second if they were not so formal .

+1 As people who, (except on extremely rare occasions and then only at the behest of others), eat in the buffet, and have only casual attire, 'formal' is viewed as pretentious and unnecessary.

I'd like to travel more, but I'm just too darned cheap. Recently, it was looking as if my very affordable rent situation in the SF Bay Area was about to come to an end. My plan B was to either buy an RV, or a van and convert it to a camper, for full-time living. As it happened, it looks as if my rent will remain affordable for the long term.

This puts me in a bit of a bind. For years now, I have wanted to try traveling and living in a camper or small RV. When it looked as if I was about to become another statistic and be pushed out of a high COL area by rising prices, the consolation was that I could use the changing circumstance to justify life on 4 wheels. Now that my affordable rent situation is about to be virtually guaranteed for the long term, it's hard to financially justify purchasing a camper/RV. Currently, my only vehicle is a bicycle. The step up to motorized transport would bring several extra bills.

I find it hard to spend money when it's not necessary. SIL reminded me yesterday that life is short and, if I'm not careful, I could end up regretting not having fun when I was relatively young. She's probably right, but it's tough being overly frugal!

1/3 Travel?

I used to travel in the 150 nights per year range. Marriott said 142 per year for the last 21 years was my average.

Seems like the habit continues
So far this year
Jan: Canada for a week or so
Feb: Beijing & Tucson
March:Italy
April: Nashville & Copenhagen (consulting)
May: Wichita & Dayton (hobby stuff)
Planned:
May: Singapore
Aug: New England/Montreal
Aug: Bangkok and UAE (I know it will be hot)
September: ?
Oct: Beijing & Shanghai
Orlando
Dec: Christmas & New Years in Sydney.

When the DW or I get bored, we start looking for something interesting. Deals on flights or hotels will also trigger a look.

Last year was a couple weeks in UK driving and a two week Christmas market trip to Europe in Dec.

15 countries and 135 or so days last year.

Full service hotels with an executive or club lounge and on from there.

80% paid, 20% points.

Likely keep it up as llong as its fun.

What if you want to visit Paris?

I just came through LHR. Worked pretty well.

Took the Picadilly line each way. Arrived after 6 PM so the cost out of LHR was 3.10 quid.

For the morning flight out of LHR, it was rush hour so it cost 5.10 quid to get to the airport from Zone 1

About 45 minutes each way.

The poll didn't include my situation. I don't take big trips, but I'd love to.

When I retired, I expected to do a lot of traveling. Family issues keep getting in the way.

Last Paris visit was last year and we drove over from Luxembourg.

My Europe entry points are usually AMS, Germany, Milan or the UK.

I will reroute almost anywhere to avoid CDG.

I have flown to/from CDG quite a few times, and each time I went through a different terminal. I do not remember it being that bad, except for the most recent time which was just 3 days ago, at Terminal 2E.

International passengers from several large aircraft arrived at the same time, and they had only 2 immigration agents to stamp passports for several hundred panicky passengers who hustled, cheated, and cut the line in fear of not making their flight home. It was only after more than 2 hours that they could scramble another agent to help. By that time, I was sure many passengers already missed their flight. Good thing that we had a 3-hour layover.

It was pandemonium. I think these several hundred passengers will avoid CDG from now on, same as myself. That's too bad, as I liked the pleasant manner of the cabin crew of Air France (which uses CDG as a hub), at least of the planes I was in.

PS. If memory serves, they had perhaps even more than 5 booths there, each with 2 windows. If fully manned that would be 10 agents or more, instead of the 2 that were working. What happened? They laid off all the other ones, or were they on strike or something?

Last edited:
These big airports also have construction going on constantly.

I'd like to travel more, but I'm just too darned cheap. Recently, it was looking as if my very affordable rent situation in the SF Bay Area was about to come to an end. My plan B was to either buy an RV, or a van and convert it to a camper, for full-time living. As it happened, it looks as if my rent will remain affordable for the long term.

This puts me in a bit of a bind. For years now, I have wanted to try traveling and living in a camper or small RV. When it looked as if I was about to become another statistic and be pushed out of a high COL area by rising prices, the consolation was that I could use the changing circumstance to justify life on 4 wheels. Now that my affordable rent situation is about to be virtually guaranteed for the long term, it's hard to financially justify purchasing a camper/RV. Currently, my only vehicle is a bicycle. The step up to motorized transport would bring several extra bills.

I find it hard to spend money when it's not necessary. SIL reminded me yesterday that life is short and, if I'm not careful, I could end up regretting not having fun when I was relatively young. She's probably right, but it's tough being overly frugal!

We have not talked about this for a while, but when you decide to go RV'ing, you will be able to make up for lost time being a full-timer. You can spend an entire summer going exploring Alaska, or the Canadian Maritimes. I only had 2 months for each of these places in my RV trips, and they deserved more time. Much more.

PS. But don't wait too long, lest you get wary and weary of driving long distances, and into remote places. :)

Life is Good

We travel 4-5 months out of the year, all in the US, but we did just return from a one week cruise so that might be another avenue for travel as well.

Out of the 4-5 months we do spend 3 months during the winter months at the ocean in SC. So our travel, if you will, might be a little different from others with that long stretch in one place.

I'm another one who hates and avoids CDG.
A few years ago I was boarding a flight from there and they let everyone jam up in the stairwell from the gate without opening the door to the aircraft. After about 45 minutes they announced that there was a problem with the aircraft so they moved it away but kept all of us stuck in the (not air conditioned) stairwell.

After another 20 minutes or so, they opened the outer door and herded all of us onto a couple of (also not air conditioned) buses. Then they drove us around the ramp for another half hour until we got to a plane we could actually get on. By the time we actually boarded, we were all so hot, sweaty, and irritable that it was a most memorable experience.

We have been full-time RV travelers since we retired in 2006, 13 years ago. No house, just a commercial storage room.

I have been places I never imagined seeing, domestic and overseas.

In April, we bought a winter home in the the Texas RGV. I hope to continue traveling in the hot summer, going to Colorado in late June, then on to Michigan until late September.

How about this for a cheap idea, rent a van and fold down, or take out the seats (or rent cargo van but might be more expensive).
Throw in an air mattress, sleeping bag, pillows, a small propane 2 burner stove (and cookware). A water jug, and a camping potty bucket.

Could even toss in your bike.

Then you can travel and either really camp or stealth camp across Canada and USA.

I voted "perpetual," as it was closest to our situation--even though we continue to own our home.

We retired to travel and are just coming up on two years in, so who knows how long it will continue. Last year, we were home for 11 weeks total, and are on pace for about the same this year (although we plan to be home more after August 1, which might enable me to get back active on this forum!).

Lots of diving that we haven't yet done, and lots of animals and terrain with which we are unfamiliar. As long as wife's back holds out, we'll likely continue at this pace.

I think the people that don’t like to travel probably flew so much for work that they now hate it.
Yup, I had two executive jobs in the last ten years before retirement. One had 3 locations that required regular visits nationally, and the other had 2 locations, Manila and KL.

Now I only travel when the stay outnumbers the travel time by 10. So three or four trips a year.

I'm another one who hates and avoids CDG.
A few years ago I was boarding a flight from there and they let everyone jam up in the stairwell from the gate without opening the door to the aircraft. After about 45 minutes they announced that there was a problem with the aircraft so they moved it away but kept all of us stuck in the (not air conditioned) stairwell.

After another 20 minutes or so, they opened the outer door and herded all of us onto a couple of (also not air conditioned) buses. Then they drove us around the ramp for another half hour until we got to a plane we could actually get on. By the time we actually boarded, we were all so hot, sweaty, and irritable that it was a most memorable experience.

When things like this happens, it doesn't matter if you fly coach, business class, or first class, does it?

Air travel is the worst part of travel.

And then, there are miserable long lines at touristy spots like the Pena Palace that we were able to avoid by being there before everyone else. But that story belongs in another thread.

We have not talked about this for a while, but when you decide to go RV'ing, you will be able to make up for lost time being a full-timer. You can spend an entire summer going exploring Alaska, or the Canadian Maritimes. I only had 2 months for each of these places in my RV trips, and they deserved more time. Much more.

PS. But don't wait too long, lest you get wary and weary of driving long distances, and into remote places. :)

SIL warned me not to wait too long, and she has a good point.

The way you describe travel is the way I'd want to do it. I understand why a lot of folk who used to travel for work have lost the taste for it. However, spending all your time on planes and in hotel rooms is a poor substitute for what many would think of as actual travel. I want to amble around slowly, giving myself time to enjoy the sunrises and sunsets in different places, as well as the different landscapes and views.

How about this for a cheap idea, rent a van and fold down, or take out the seats (or rent cargo van but might be more expensive).
Throw in an air mattress, sleeping bag, pillows, a small propane 2 burner stove (and cookware). A water jug, and a camping potty bucket.

Could even toss in your bike.

Then you can travel and either really camp or stealth camp across Canada and USA.

Great idea. If I go the route of purchasing a cargo van and converting it, this is what I plan to do at first, in order to figure out what I really need in a camper, and where everything should be positioned.

I have 3 cats and want to take them with me, which could be an issue. However the eldest is a senior, so she might have crossed the rainbow bridge by the time I start doing this. Figuring out how to make a comfortable environment for 2 kitties in a small camper is less of a headache than 3! One is a very genteel blind gal, who just wants to sit around, eat, and sleep most of the time. She'll be fine. The youngest is a bundle of activity, so I will need to build in plenty of windows and opportunities for vertical jumping/climbing/hanging out.

But, as stated before, I am extremely frugal. My current situation, with low rent and just a bicycle for transport, means that my expenses, as well as being fairly low, are also very predictable. I like this. I know this is going to sound Scroogey, but I do like knowing that I have a high (to me) investment balance. This has been discussed on so many threads before, but I have trouble spending money that isn't necessary - unless it's a relatively small amount ($10 for a burrito, $50 for a new kitty backpack etc.)

First world problems!

We do 3 weeks of our timeshares and then another week vacation somewhere else and maybe 1 or 2 few day excursions.

We have seen people RV with cats but have to be so careful they don’t escape. I would take a crate and put them in when going in and out. What’s the point of having savings if you aren’t going to do some of the things you enjoy? We don’t like RVing as much as we thought we would. A month is the most I can stand to live in it.

I did enough travel for my spouse to claim that she was a single mother for much of the time...tongue in cheek perhaps.

But travel for pleasure is much different than business travel for me. Still, we start thinking about a winter sojourn right about now. It always starts off the same way with neither of us wanting to commit to 2 or three flights, 24 hours, to get to our preferred destination.

As we get closer and closer to winter, usually in mid November, the thought of the long air journey tends to fade in the glow of getting to where we want to go. Plus, we go for two months so that makes the flights seem less onerous. I suspect one more time and then we will change that channel.

And cross the ocean on a cruise ship, arrive without jet-lag rested.

I just returned from a repositioning cruise. Flew to New York City (stayed 2 days) and sailed out of New York City across the pond. 14 day cruise had 18 foot swells on the boat. All deck activities were not available as the doors were locked for 4 days with the weather. We were on the 9th floor and the waves spray were on our balcony. Then the Noro virus hit over 200 passengers and 20 crew were quarantined to their rooms. Then some had bed bugs in their staterooms. This was on a Norwegian cruise ship.

We have been on 6 or 7 cruises to Alaska and the Caribbean over the years with no problems. Something about being 1500 miles from no land and the high seas makes one not want to do another cruise soon.

We did not get the Noro virus and still had an ok time on the cruising part. We did see 5 countries and met tons of cool people. We will fly to our destination and do cruises from there. No more Transatlantic cruises for us. It was on our bucket list and we can mark it done and done!

We do 1 to 2 big trips a year with several camping trips per year with out RV.

Can't complain. Life is good.

Last edited:
Kim, I love cruises but that would have probably been my last.

Back
Top Bottom