Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How much did you spend on hobbies in 2013?
$0 - $499 26 25.00%
$500 - $999 12 11.54%
$1,000 - $1,999 16 15.38%
$2,000 - $2,999 11 10.58%
$3,000 - $3,999 8 7.69%
$4,000 - $4,999 6 5.77%
$5,000 - $9,999 12 11.54%
$10,000+ 13 12.50%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2014, 10:49 AM   #41
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have no idea how to calculate this. I am currently building a new road in our property to improve access to the river - is that I hobby or a improvement to the property? It improves the value of the property, but I enjoy doing it. Probably about 1,000 dollars in fuel to build it (I own the backhoe already)

Most of my hobbies make money, or so my family says, I am still trying to learn not to care.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2014, 09:55 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I completely understand that a $1600 camera is an unnecessary and excessive expense for most people. As others have said, only we can be the judge of what is good for us.
While out hiking yesterday, I saw a guy with a telephoto lens that was about three feet long. I joked that that lens must likely represented about the same amount as a small car purchase. He nodded his head in painful agreement.

We have lots of hobbies, but I am still amazed that we spent close to $2,000 last year in order to outfit ourselves for backpacking, our newest hobby. $2,000 for the privilege of sleeping on the ground!

I'm kidding just a bit - I deeply enjoy the physical challenge and rewards that backpacking represents - but still, $2,000 for everything necessary to live simply for short periods of time? The irony is not lost on me.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:52 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndFree View Post
While out hiking yesterday, I saw a guy with a telephoto lens that was about three feet long. I joked that that lens must likely represented about the same amount as a small car purchase. He nodded his head in painful agreement.

We have lots of hobbies, but I am still amazed that we spent close to $2,000 last year in order to outfit ourselves for backpacking, our newest hobby. $2,000 for the privilege of sleeping on the ground!

I'm kidding just a bit - I deeply enjoy the physical challenge and rewards that backpacking represents - but still, $2,000 for everything necessary to live simply for short periods of time? The irony is not lost on me.
Yep, in 2000 we sold our 2nd car, a gently used Honda Accord, to buy DH's 600mm F4 lens. He's still using it 14 years and a few camera bodies later.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:47 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
We travel in our leisure time for pleasure. We camp, hike, canoe, cook over a fire, bike during our travel. It's the reason we travel.
Sounds like us! However DW isn't interested in camping as an activity by itself, but will do it as a means to get somewhere you couldn't get otherwise.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:50 PM   #45

If you don't count gym membership or travel then under $500. However, we travel extensively, mostly to out of the way places where we go hiking. Last year we hiked in various places, including 2 NP's during a month in Ireland, lots of hiking in various places in England and Scotland, France and Spain. Awesome scenery, very few folks on the trails, but the most memorable of our trips last year was to Iceland, The Faroe Islands and Norway.

So, counting travel as a hobby then well over $10k spent in 2013. (and in 2010, 2011 and 2012).
Old 05-09-2014, 05:06 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by crtreedude View Post
)Most of my hobbies make money, or so my family says, I am still trying to learn not to care.
Yep. As soon as I start a hobby or doing something just for the fun of it, the wheels start turning on how to make a few bucks off it (enough to support my 'habit'). I have to keep reminding myself "you don't need to do that!"
Old 05-10-2014, 08:31 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

I spend around $15,000 a year going to chess tournaments. Airfare, entry fee and hotel add up to over $1,000 each tournament. On the plus side, I have a higher rating than I ever did when I was younger.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:55 PM   #48

Hmmmm....

I've read thru the posts, and can't help but thinking, "I'm retired...isn't everything I do either "a hobby" or "an activity in support of a hobby"?

I like to run. So, that could be a hobby. If I run, I have to eat well. To eat well, I have to cook. To cook, I need good food and thus I shop both for bargains as well as for good high quality stuff.

Etc., etc. I guess this doesn't really answer the question. For me though, being retired is the hobby, thus everything I spend is related to my hobby.

R
Old 05-27-2014, 02:32 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm just semi-retired for another few months, so maybe I should have waited to reply, but.. I didn't!

My wife loves flower gardening and probably spends a few hundred bucks a year on that. She keeps about three acres around the house and building looking very nice! We also do some traveling, renting a summer house for the kids and grandkids to join us for a week or so each summer, nothing too exotic, and spend a few thousand on that dort of thing. My main hobby is music, and I may spend a few hundred on strings, sticks, supplies, etc. as I already have most of the major instruments I need (want?). But, as I like to remind DW, I always earn a lot more playing than i spend on music gear, so I really have a hobby that generates income. She still thinks I should not to the music store... go figure.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:52 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Without a line item for "hobbies" this is impossible for me to calculate. I like to entertain, but that comes under "groceries" and "household expenses". I golf, which is easily identifiable in "sports". I travel, which is filed under "vacations". I watch movies on Netflix, eat out, and go to concerts, all of which are filed under "entertainment". As Rambler said, in ER everything you do is a hobby!
Old 05-27-2014, 03:34 PM   #51

I didn't vote because it would probably skew the results; I suppose DH and I would consider travel to be a hobby and the trip we're taking in July will run over $8K, all in. That's not a typical year. Last year we went to Paris but used hotel and airline points, so the out-of-pocket was around $1,000 and we took a few smaller trips, too.

Other than that we don't spend a lot. I spend maybe $1K/year on entry fees for athletic events. This year it was one sprint triathlon and 2 (maybe 3) 50K bike rides. One requires that you raise $600; I don't like to hit people up for money so I just make a flat donation (and take it off on the taxes, of course).
Old 05-27-2014, 03:51 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
As Rambler said, in ER everything you do is a hobby!
Conversely, while still working, all your expenses are in direct or indirect support of that income-generation activity, else it could not be sustained.

A corollary to the above is that Congress should allow workers to deduct ALL expenses.

Oops! Can't have that. Somebody has to pay taxes, I forgot, and it's better not me.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:07 PM   #53

I don't consider our RV travel or cooking a hobby (although perhaps buying accessories for the pasta machine DH gave me for my birthday last year is a bit hobby-ish).

My main hobbies are knitting (95% is prayer shawls to be given away by our church) and scrapbooking.

I buy most of the yarn for the shawls, $10-30 per shawl (depending on the yarn, pattern and how well I shop the sales), so that's about $300/year.

In 2013 I went to two scrapbooking events, about $350. Purchased about $200 of materials, photo prints, etc.

I'm happy that my hobbies produce things that are meaningful to others, which is priceless.

MBAustin is online now   Reply With Quote