Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: When did/will you draw from SSA?
62 100 37.88%
63 11 4.17%
64 4 1.52%
65 14 5.30%
66 43 16.29%
67 19 7.20%
68 1 0.38%
69 0 0%
70+ 72 27.27%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Poll:When will/did you draw from SSA
Old 11-14-2013, 02:01 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Poll:When will/did you draw from SSA

... and why?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2013, 07:43 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe because I'm lazy, my current plan is to take SS at 65 so I can do all the Medicare and SS "paperwork" at the same time. That may change +/- a year or two because I am only in my late 50's. Also my non-COLA pension drops from 48K/yr to 42K/yr at 62. So that gives me a few years to get some sizeable amounts of money out of my Traditional IRA at a lower tax rate.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:49 AM   #3

Took SS at 62 simply because I have no idea how long I will live and I had paid into the system since I was fourteen years old. Don't need the money so it is being invested.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #4

I'll only get around $250 or so at 62 due to WEP. If I wait, it will only go up a few $$, not enough for me to worry about. I'll take it at 62 & apply it to my fun money bucket.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:55 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm 60 and plan on retiring next year when I am 61. I would like to take SS at 66 (FRA), or even later. But I'll probably take it starting at 62.

I expect SS to be means-tested somewhere down the road. And I expect anyone with sufficient assets to contemplate ER - including most of the people on this board - to be adversely affected.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:03 AM   #6

Probably 65 or late in the year when I'm 64. The pension dropped by the amount of SS benefits that I would then have been eligible for at 62. I'm 63 now, 64 in the spring. Since the job I had at the time more than made up for it I didn't file then. In the meantime I'll clean out a couple of small IRA's ($6k and $10k) and then start tapping the savings we set aside when I was working at the unplanned-for job.

If we wanted to we could wait until I'm 66 but that would require a pretty severe cut back, DW's car has 172k miles on it so a new one is probably in the near future, anywhere from next week to several more years, and an issue is how low we are willing to go on the savings before starting SS.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:09 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My plan is to wait to 70 because DW and I are both healthy and have solid longevity in both of our families.

If for some reason our investment nestegg is depleted more/faster than I am comfortable with or if our perceived longevity changes significantly, we would begin earlier, but at this point I think for us later is the better financial decision.

We're only 58 now so we really have about 5 years to make a decision.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:10 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
I expect SS to be means-tested somewhere down the road. And I expect anyone with sufficient assets to contemplate ER - including most of the people on this board - to be adversely affected.
Good point, something definitely worth watching. I know that's being looked at by our legislatures. Does anyone know if they will be looking at income, assets, or both when determining SS payments should a means test be implemented? Seems like I remember reading something about the "means test" being being initially considered were for people with pretty high incomes (assets not considered), could be wrong.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:22 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

90% of my stash is in IRAs, so I anticipate large RMDs. I also have a pension that covers my expenses, so my current plan is to take SS at 62 to spread out the income. I also anticipate means testing on SS in my lifetime.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #10

Took SS at 63 (procrastinated for over a year) as I am subject to WEP so it amounts to $377 per month AND since I've minor children, they get monthly checks until out of HS, an extra benny.

Waiting would not have made a big $$ difference and my wife will be entitled to way more based on her own SS record than any survivor benefit from me.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

62 for each of us. DH has 1.5 years before hitting that, so we may wait a bit longer. I would like to wait another couple years, but 62 is my best guess.

This would be to protect our savings for down the road.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
... and why?
that should cover all of our living, + some.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #13

I am taking it at 62 through FRA then suspend and restart at age 70 to preserve my stash for LTC and to maximize DW income after I die.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #14

Not sure. DW turns 60 in the spring, so we have a few years to decide. It is likely that we will defer taking her ss benefits at least to age 65 and then decide yr by yr. We thought we would be spending down her TSP prior to her taking ss, now not so sure.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I turned 62 in the Fall of 2008 when far more than leaves were falling. I'd planned on waiting until FRA or later to take SS but discovered living entirely off a rapidly dwindling portfolio was not compatible with my personality type.

Received my first SS check in February of 2009 and the market started up soon after. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't change a thing.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:37 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

We're also planning on 70 due to high longevity in both our families. If things go south and we need to take it earlier, so be it.

However, it may increase our lifetime income (lower taxes) to take it earlier to avoid a stepwise increase at 70 due to RMD and max SS, I have 11-13 years to figure that out (hopefully by year end to begin Roth conversions ASAP) - we'll see...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Current plan is 62, though that is not set in concrete. Why? Because my family longevity is mid-80s, and I've done a fair amount of "sinnin'" which may or may not shorten my lifespan. Pretty healthy now, but who knows later? Plus, I don't want to waste any more time w*rking than absolutely necessary, and the early SS check makes the budget work...

YMMV...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:35 AM   #18

Age 62. Running scenarios with Firecalc et al shows that my stash doesn't have an appreciably higher or lower final tally if I take it at 62, 66.5, or wait all the way till 70. It will, however, add flexibility to my fun-money account

I am forecasting lasting till age 92 but only 1 blood relative has gotten close to that age. My health has already been compromised but with modern marvels in the next 10-15 years, ya ever know. Maybe I can string it out?

Also, to paraphrase someone else on this board several years ago when addressing the same subject: When somebody offers you free money, you take it. You don't wait
Old 11-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Using Fido's RIP the difference between 62 and 70 was substantial for my planning timeframe, so 70 wins!
Old 11-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am leaning towards 62-64 at this time (56). My wife is eligible for the spousal amount (50% of mine at 66.5). So....the longer I wait the more she will get as well. I don't know how to figure out the difference (of how much she gets) year to year so I will have to sit down and see if I can come up with the numbers at some point.