Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Why Retire Early?
Dissatisfaction with work. (e.g. boss, commute, politics, boredom) 141 53.61%
Desire to pursue leisure activities (e.g. travel, sports, hobbies) 175 66.54%
Desire to work in a different capacity (e.g. volunteer, small business, part-time) 48 18.25%
Desire to spend more time with family, friends and loved ones 91 34.60%
Desire to care for a loved one with health issues 18 6.84%
Your health (poor health or desire to become healthier) 51 19.39%
Freedom to pursue your love of art, music, and/or culture 49 18.63%
Freedom to live in a different place 57 21.67%
Ability to live a quiet, tranquil and reflective life 119 45.25%
Other 34 12.93%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2011, 06:28 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I had a great job and was compensated well, but I was just tired of working. I chose 1,2,9, with a big emphasis on 9...I love my quiet, tranquil, reflective life now! Suites me just fine.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2011, 06:29 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I picked #1 as my orignal FIRE year was 2011. But I say #2 is what I like the most of FIRE'ing.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:56 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I retired early because I could afford it. I absolutely loved my career, but felt that travel would be more enjoyable especially while I was in good health. I did not think I could accurately predict how long my good health would last.

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:57 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One word: Freedom
Old 02-11-2011, 07:00 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I checked all except #3 and #5. I checked "Other", meaning "Because I Could", and "Because I am ready for the next step in life and this is it."
I also checked all but 3 and 5. I'm not so sure I want to start over in a different role, but that may change after time to decompress. Also, have no family or friends with health issues that I would need to care for.

R
Old 02-11-2011, 07:34 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't know how to do quotes but what W2R said suits me perfectly. I would add that I'm going out at the top of my game on my own terms and with respect and friendship with the folks I work with. I feel very satisfied and lucky with that aspect of my life.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:49 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Several of the options apply to our desire to ER. The most compelling reason right now is to spend more time with family, friends and loved ones. Our little guy is now 5 and 1/2 months old is sooo fun to be around. Just watching his inquisitive mind work provides so much entertainment and happiness
Old 02-11-2011, 08:52 PM   #28

"Other" because the industry I was working in was on the way out anyway, and was given a death blow by the recession. As a result I was laid off and my job doesn't really exist anymore.

It was something I had always wanted to do, so I lived my dream by doing it. Now it's gone and although I may well work again, I'm not sure if I will ever be passionately involved in my work again.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:56 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman View Post
I had a great job and was compensated well, but I was just tired of working. I chose 1,2,9, with a big emphasis on 9...I love my quiet, tranquil, reflective life now! Suites me just fine.
+1 Not ER yet (Sept 2011 targeted), but same reasons, just getting old (job that is, me to a lesser degree).
Old 02-11-2011, 10:39 PM   #30

I chose #2 due to my love of travel. I'd like to be able to spend the winter in Hawaii or the summer in Alaska if I choose. I hate being constrained to a two week block of time. It's like getting 1 or 2 bites of a fabulous steak only to watch the waiter haul the rest to the trash can.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:35 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
I think you forgot "Why Not?" and "Because I Could".
I was just trying to be a smart ass.

I picked 1, 2, 4 and 9.

Honestly, I retired because I could draw my pension, but I had decided to stay where I was and earn that pension when I was 23. I was ready to leave 4 years before I could. I was managing great projects and then management changed and office politics got me. My projects were stripped from me, I was absorbed into another division and my new boss was a real treat.

I was getting bored too. Probably partly because I knew the date was approaching I began exploring other things to do. About 6 months, the idea of continuing to work after taking my pension, just seemed like a little slice of hell. I decided I wanted to do something else, work for myself, enjoy life and do what I wanted. This forum helped shape my new philosophy.

Now I am writing a book, raising my boys and taking it easy. I'm also trying to get my DW into the semi-retired attitude. She's a little high strung, so she needs to relax and enjoy. Really, I just did it because I could. I really feel like this is what I've always wanted to do and what I'm suited for. People who value their jobs and their work ethic would probably cringe, but I am who I am.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:50 AM   #32

I voted for "pursue leisure activities" and "other". For me, "other" is burnout. I'm not dissatisfied with my job as such, I'm just getting tired of being a night owl in a morning lark world. I don't want it to be just Fridays I get to stay up really late. I think when I retire I might take a while off from everything, and follow my natural sleep pattern—stay up until I get sleepy, and then sleep until I wake up by myself the next day. I sometimes think if I could just do that for a month or six weeks I might work myself all the way around the clock and be functioning in the time zone I actually live in instead of a few hours later than everyone else. Sometimes I think my internal clock runs on 25 hour days or something!
Old 02-12-2011, 03:51 AM   #33

1, 4 and 9 (although 9 will be very tough with 2 young children).

I'd flip the question around and ask reasons for not retiring:

1. you need the money

2. you love your job

3. you live in a dictatorship where someone is holding a gun to your head.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:06 AM   #34

2,3 for me. Gradually reducing work hours to spend more time on travel/hobbies. I'm down to 3 days a week with some work at home. Work is evolving into a consulting gig, which is ok in the short term. The more I reduce my hours, the more hobbies I pick up requiring even more leisure time.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:57 AM   #35

Quote:
My answer is "because I could".... are we putting that under "other"?
Old 02-12-2011, 06:58 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmfromTx View Post
I would add that I'm going out at the top of my game on my own terms and with respect and friendship with the folks I work with. I feel very satisfied and lucky with that aspect of my life.
Same here. I am still getting glowing reviews and a great deal of respect from peers, more than any of my counterparts. However, I know that I am not as interested in the work and not performing at my best anymore (whether anyone else sees it yet or not). Two of my former peers were shown the door involuntarily, and I am sure they did not see it coming. I would rather leave too early on great terms, than be surprised to find out later I'd outlived my usefulness...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:17 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmfromTx View Post
I don't know how to do quotes but what W2R said suits me perfectly. I would add that I'm going out at the top of my game on my own terms and with respect and friendship with the folks I work with. I feel very satisfied and lucky with that aspect of my life.
There are four buttons at the bottom of each post: Thanks, Quote, Multi-quote, and Quick. Click on the "Quote" button and you'll have that post quoted in your post.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:02 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I voted the Hat Trick (hockey terminology for 3 goals in 1 game).

Dissatisfaction with w*rk,
my Health (desire to be healthier - carpal tunnel and upper body RSI), and
the Ability to live quiet, tranquil etc. life

When I look at photos taken of me when I was w*rking, compared to postFIRE photos, I am utterly amazed at the difference. I actually look young again.
I did the same before/after comparison for Mr B. Identical results.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:06 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Put us ALL down for a vote for those poll options.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:14 AM   #40

1,2,4 & 8

Mostly for #'s 2 and 4 with DW.